Randy's Redsea Reefer 250 and the rest of the Coral Farm

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a modified SPS AB+ on Radion XR15w G4 Pros on all my tanks. Peak is the same as SPS AB+ (18,500K spectrum for 7 hours), but the ramp up/down times are pushed out a little.

On the 6x3x1' growout/frag tank I have eight XR15w (~12.5" from water line) with this profile:
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 10.15.09 AM.png

On the Reefer 250 I have three XR15w (~8" from water line) with this profile:

Would it be possible to offer your lamp schedule here as a downloadfile? THX :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first two years or so, I never had a problem maintaining the overflow water level at a specific level with the Red Sea diaphragm valve on the main drain and things were silent. However, for the last few months, I have had to make constant adjustments to the valve every 4-5 days because the water level would increase by itself and the noise from water trickling into the emergency drain became super annoying. I've cleaned the valve a number of times, but still had the same problem. I'm not sure why after two years I began to have an issue, but here we are.

So I decided to make the change to a Spears gate valve for the main full siphon drain. Normally something that should be a simple swap in a fish tank, but the Red Sea plumbing poses a challenge because it is metric.

So here's what it looks like now.
28979AC1-83D3-4F3A-BAA6-94F12A17298E.jpeg

From what I've seen, most people have just taken the return connector part (part number 42221), getting a 3/4" threaded male adapter and wrapping the threaded end with 10-15 wraps of telfon tape to fit it into the metric fitting in place of the barb. For a number of reasons, I'm not comfortable with this solution.

So what I did was take a Spears 32mm to 1" transition union and glued the 32mm end over the outer part of the return connector which measures 32mm. I used PVC primer and cement. The plastic that the return connector is made out is an "unknown plastic" (exact words from Red Sea tech support), so using PVC primer and cement wasn't a sure thing that it would bond well, but it looks like it's holding up. No leaks have been seen and best part, tank is dead silent with water in overflow staying steady.

Here's my parts list

- Red Sea return connector part #42221 (remove barb before gluing - also be carful to not over do it on the cement, you don't want to glue the black screw nut since it's a tight fit)
6D1925E5-8F79-4CD3-916F-351B0E4A228C.jpeg

89BBB8B4-4C89-4818-99AB-CCD958F19EB9.jpeg

- Spears 32mm to 1" sched 80 transition union
- Spears 1" schedule 80 gate valve
- 1" blue PVC pipe

What pvc primer and cement did you use? Thanks!

OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a such thing as a good time for equipment failure? Heck yah! I was packing up the bags in the car about to head on a five day trip to Disneyland and my GFCI starting tripping on my growout/frag tank and wouldn’t stop after reseting it. I was worried that there was a leak from an exposed wire tripping the outlet and that it would take a while to find the offending piece of equipment (I was really worried about my wife being upset at me as well for delaying the trip for hours ;)). But after 20 minutes of trying different things out, I didn’t find anything so I figure the GFCI outlet was probably busted. I was lucky I had a spare GFCI outlet and changed it out in a few minutes and had everything running up again after 30-40 minutes after the problem started happening. So far so good and everything has been running for over 24 hours since I left for the “happiest place on earth.” Keeping my fingers crossed, but I definitely feel like the coral gods were looking over my shoulder because If the gfci outlet would have decided to pop 20 minutes later, I woulda been gone and most likely would have come home to at least a hundred different dead acros.

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice system! i'm actually planning on upgrading to a reefer 250 soon so was looking up build threads for inspiration. i was planning on only getting two mp40s, but noticed you also have an mp10. do you think the mp10 is necessary or two mp40s would be enough?

OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow nice system! i'm actually planning on upgrading to a reefer 250 soon so was looking up build threads for inspiration. i was planning on only getting two mp40s, but noticed you also have an mp10. do you think the mp10 is necessary or two mp40s would be enough?

thanks!

It really depends on your rock work and how much space your coral ends up taking. For most reefers two mp40s is more than plenty, but my tall rock structures limit flow to the bottom. I actually did eventually take out the mp10 because it was too hard to reach it to clean with rock work and coral growth So I just deal with the dead spots.

OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I actually do have some corals other than acros. Here's some fun stuff I got going on in the tanks.

My momma Jawbreaker started throwing these bad boys out randomly around 5-6 months ago. Not sure why the yellow stripe has shown up since momma doesn't have them, but me likey! Unfortunately, my momma detached herself because her foot got all twisted up and isn't popping out the babies anymore at the moment, but I'm hoping the 3 or so that have the stripes, continue the trend and pop some out themselves.
coral_for_sale_20191204_6860.jpg

coral_for_sale_20191204_6866.jpg

I have no other words for this Indo torch other than it's in the bright "A.F." category. It has crazy bright yellow/gold and green tentacles and a creamy green tip. I have had an ASD Holy Grail and many others, but this thing will give any "bright gold" torch a run for its money. You can see a Dragon Soul Torch on the bottom right corner and I've added a picture of my Aussie and Indo Gold Torch under the same light and camera settings for comparison.
torch_garden_20191204_6891.jpg

Aussie Gold Torch
torch_garden_20191204_6892.jpg

Indo Gold Torch
torch_garden_20191204_6893.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get below 1ppm on NO3, I decrease my fuge photoperiod or feed more. You have a fuge running?
No fuge. Just a skimmer that I dont wanna turn off because I want that oxygenation. I turned skimmer a tad more dry to see if that may help. I also mixed potassium nitrate. I dosed .25ppm this morning. Tested a couple hours later and it was still zero. So I added another 2ml which should be. 25ppm. And when I get home and test in morning I'll have an answer. Po4 was only 3ppb. But atleast it was there. But i want 2 to 5ppm nitrate for sps. Cant get it to show up anymore.

OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No fuge. Just a skimmer that I dont wanna turn off because I want that oxygenation. I turned skimmer a tad more dry to see if that may help. I also mixed potassium nitrate. I dosed .25ppm this morning. Tested a couple hours later and it was still zero. So I added another 2ml which should be. 25ppm. And when I get home and test in morning I'll have an answer. Po4 was only 3ppb. But atleast it was there. But i want 2 to 5ppm nitrate for sps. Cant get it to show up anymore.

get more fish?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back