RAP Chicago?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zach been surfing their web site last few minutes. Tickets still not available, still no schedule, but floor plan looks like lots of coral dealers.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah I saw that as well. Tickets say “coming soon” and the site is super slow for me. Guessing you will be able to purchase at the door as well, at least i hope so.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like tickets are finally on sale! Hope to see you guys and gals there :)

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still debating if I want to go. Hard to stay indoors on October weekends... Gotta enjoy those last nice ones before winter... that weekend is right on the edge... Maybe if tickets are available the week before and the weather is forcasted to be bad...

I actually haven't been to a big show like this, are the frags cheap? Last time I went to a frag swap I got some free swag. I rarely win, so I'm not a huge raffle person. I'm not what you call a social butterfly, and I'm not at the point where I can buy the latest gear, any reason I should go?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still debating if I want to go. Hard to stay indoors on October weekends... Gotta enjoy those last nice ones before winter... that weekend is right on the edge... Maybe if tickets are available the week before and the weather is forcasted to be bad...

I actually haven't been to a big show like this, are the frags cheap? Last time I went to a frag swap I got some free swag. I rarely win, so I'm not a huge raffle person. I'm not what you call a social butterfly, and I'm not at the point where I can buy the latest gear, any reason I should go?
I would do Aquashella instead. It is August 14/15. Aquashella is geared toward salt and fresh though, but freshwater has a lot of cool stuff. Frags are not cheap at these things usually except maybe on the end of day 2 when they would prefer to sell them then take them home. These are dealers from across the country mostly so this is their living. If you want cheap you are better off going to a local swap that has local hobbyist selling. It is a good way to meet dealers and you may be able to meet some of the sponsors on here. I know I got to know zoanthids.com that way. He has been coming to our events for 10+ years and I spend too much time at his booth just talking.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

This will be my first time at RAP so I'm not entirely sure how it will be but I'm excited to check it out. As stated above I doubt anything will be "cheap" but I'm going more so just to check everything out and socialize a bit. I'm pretty overstocked as it is with my tank :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Will you be attending this one?
Still deciding as I have a lot of projects going on. I went to last one and it was pretty good.
Lots of pricet stuff BUT also lots of deals. You CANT grab the first deal you see as two rows over, there are better. Bring a pad and write down that prize coral you see- make note of coral and price. Continue and do the same. At the end, look over the coral and price and compare to others then make your purchases.
Ill let you know in a week or two

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds good! Thank you for the info as well

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will know for sure later tomorrow or Monday. Sending you a PM.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A tip for first timers. At shows like these it it easy to be overwhelmed with a vendor or two and spend a lot of time with one and not have enough time to cover others Especially if you plan to attend a seminar or two and find yourself losing out on corals and coral deals.
Look at the floor plan and vendors and make a list. Prioritize who you want to visit and keep the visits to 15 minutes PER booth. If you can do less, you have extra minutes to stay on track.

Best is to allow 5 mins per vendor and 4 hours with R2R- Ok kidding on this line but the rest is a best bet ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE DOING JUST THE ONE DAY ATTENDANCE AS I AM
iF ANYONE WANTS TO MEET UP AND TAKE JUST ONE VEHICLE- NOW IS THE TIME TO PLAN THAT ALSO.
The parking lot at Rennaisance Hotel is huge but can also become distant if you get there after 9:30am.

An example is a couple of favorite coral vendors I have. I have 9 vendors written down as must visit and i have them in order of priority. . #1, #2 and so forth. If I get to visit no other, I'm happy if I got to see at least those 9 making it worth my drive and cost of ticket. Buying Raffle tickets is a gamble BUT a Very Good one- spend at least $40 on tickets for if you win, you got your money back for raffles-gas and show ticket easily on any given prize but remember- YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN.

IF the Wisconsin group is heading back Saturday evening via I-90 or 94 . . . .. We could all head to gurnee (right before entrance to Wisconsin) and stop at Golden Corral Buffet which will feature Steak, Fish, Chicken, taco bar. english pot roast, 17 desserts, salad bar and much for for $13 !!!

Back