RAP New York 2019

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first as well, but I was a little underwhelmed. While I did talk, and meet, with some great people, and receive some great products to try out, it felt more like a very large frag swap.

I guess going in I was expecting more of a trade show feel then a frag swap feel. I will go back next year to meet up with a few people I would not see otherwise, but I would not go back for the trade show aspect.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My First RAP as well! anyone get anything good? I picked up 4 sps frags, one RRC pink caddy, 2 new cultured frags from Malaysia that i'm super pumped to see how they color up-one millie, one looks like a tenius, and also picked us a frag from Rudy at Golden Basket Reef. It was his first frag of GB Rudy's Bonfire and i am the first to get it!!!

pics coming soon of all, but here is Rudy's pic of the GB Rudy's Bonfire, this is my frag, looked like this at the show, mine is a touch lighter with my tanks spectrum, but still dang nice. love those glowing tips!!
FB_IMG_1561246394380.jpg

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was my first as well and I’m with @homer1475
My expectation was a lot different than a swap. Enjoyed most of the day and talked to some people. Grabbed a KH Director and a fuzzy octopus for my daughter:)

Reef A Palooza New York

Reef-A-Palooza New York
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first time at a show and couldn’t be more happy. Got some nice corals met some good people and got a whole bunch of products to try out and share with you guys ! Can’t wait [emoji4]
Thanks for sharing your experience with us and glad you couldn't be more happy!!!

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first RAP, loved it ,can't wait till 2020.
My main complaint is that 90% of the frags had no pricing listed. It meant constantly asking how much, how much. Seems like a waste of everyones time. RAP should pick a price point $75, $100 whatever, and make sure the vendors have every frag under that price labelled.
I came home with 10 frags, ranging from $25 - $60ea, and prolly would have bought a few more if I knew how much they were.
The one surprise was the lack of dry goods. Was looking to pick up a few socks and some DI resin.
A BIG shout out to the BRS guys, they came around prior to the start of the show and were playing games and visiting with the people who were waiting in line. Many people were winning $10 and $20 gift certs.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first RAP, loved it ,can't wait till 2020.
My main complaint is that 90% of the frags had no pricing listed. It meant constantly asking how much, how much. Seems like a waste of everyones time. RAP should pick a price point $75, $100 whatever, and make sure the vendors have every frag under that price labelled.
I came home with 10 frags, ranging from $25 - $60ea, and prolly would have bought a few more if I knew how much they were.
The one surprise was the lack of dry goods. Was looking to pick up a few socks and some DI resin.
A BIG shout out to the BRS guys, they came around prior to the start of the show and were playing games and visiting with the people who were waiting in line. Many people were winning $10 and $20 gift certs.

That kind of pricing is just the way it is at frag swaps. I've been going to them for over 10 years and it is always the same. Some will have them kind of sorted out. RAP really has no control over their pricing. If they tried to enforce something like that they would probably lose a lot of vendors or at least get a lot of backlash. As for dry goods, that is just the way it is. It is expensive to move a lot of inventory around to a show that you are not going to make a lot of money on. Dirks is the only one that makes all the shows. Those coral vendors have it down to a science. They can get 50 to 100 frags into a salt bucket.

OSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blast ! I love meeting New Reefers! thank you everyone that stopped at the booth !
The Road to Reef-A-Palooza NY 2019 !
Thank you everyone for the support, and to everyone that made RAP NY amazing!
Make sure to join our YouTube Channel

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the video!!! hahhaa at the 3:17 mark you can see me buying some Malaysian SPS chunks from BKChem

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back