rapid led color combo and driver questions

PepperDeath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. i am about to get a rapid led kit soon,ive seen one set up with this color combo.. 10 royal blues 4 blues 6 cool whites and 4 neutral whites..how does that sound or is there any other colors i should throw in there? also i will get a reef controller like apex, but not for a while since im getting the lights soon..so all i will need to buy from rapid is the ddc-01 controller for now? and when you select the driver type when ordering you select the P (PWM) and not D (1-10v analog)? sorry just trying to get it all figured out ..thanks!!!!

Solderless Biocube 29 Dimmable Retrofit Kit - Rapid LED

DDC-01 PWM Controller - Rapid LED

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want it to be apex compatable, it must be the "D" series, the "P" series will only work with PWM. I would add a couple reds, violets, and greens, and no nuetral whites, only 75ook cool whites for the whites.

balto777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 48 LED RapidLED fixture consists of 6 UV, 26 RB, 8 CW, and 8 NW. Each color is separately controllable via my APEX. I like the UV's because it widens out the blue spectrum, which I feel is important. I think you can get enough red and green from the NW's. The best thing about the DIY fixtures, you can always change out things until you get it the way you want.

OP
OP
PepperDeath

PepperDeath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool, so the D series is what i need if i go with an apex down the road...what do i need to control them for now?
how does this sound..
9 royal blue
4 blue
6 cool white
2 green
2 violet
1 red

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool, so the D series is what i need if i go with an apex down the road...what do i need to control them for now?
how does this sound..
9 royal blue
4 blue
6 cool white
2 green
2 violet
1 red
Sounds good, but a little blue. I would go with 9 cool whites.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want it to be apex compatable, it must be the "D" series, the "P" series will only work with PWM. I would add a couple reds, violets, and greens, and no nuetral whites, only 75ook cool whites for the whites.

+1 On the neutral whites they are way yellow...Your better off going with reds and greens to hi-light certain pigments.

Also make sure the Cool Whites are a 7.5K bin not the 5.5K Bin as they are almost as yellow as the Neutral Cool White. Make sure the Royal Blue are the bin D316 or for the XT-E D36/35 as its closer to 450nm which gives a much better colour pop than the 460nm Royal Blue.

Personally I'm not a fan of PWM dimming as the primary controllers like APEX, Profilux and Reef Keeper all use analog 1-10vdc. If you dont have one of these controllers now you can use a Potentiometer to manually dim drivers like the Inventronics, Thompson Research or the Hyperon. All provide the three wires necessary for this. The Mean Well 48 series cannot run without a controller and cannot simply connect two wires to have it 100% on.

Bill

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back