Rare stereronephthya? Spike polyps

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen in pictures and had some bueatiful specimens, but this one stumps me.
Spoke with the divers that harvested it from Australia and it has spike polyps, NOT octo polyps. First time I've had anything like it. It's definitely a Dendronephthya, has
sclerites, NPS, but polyps are spike, soft of course. Anyone ever had/seen.
Please help

@Lasse, you've been around, any imput?

Screenshot_2018-11-11-09-41-53-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen in pictures and had some bueatiful specimens, but this one stumps me.
Spoke with the divers that harvested it from Australia and it has spike polyps, NOT octo polyps. First time I've had anything like it. It's definitely a Dendronephthya, has
sclerites, NPS, but polyps are spike, soft of course. Anyone ever had/seen.
Please help

@Lasse, you've been around, any imput?

Screenshot_2018-11-11-09-41-53-1.png
@Lasse help me, help me!!!!! I'm drowning. ............:eek:

One more. I read all soft corals have 8 tentacles. This has spikes for tentacles. Odd

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlexG your right. Thanks for info. Now gotta Google it's care.
I have a species of stereonepthya in my tank. It is light pink and yellow. I grew this colony from a 1" frag and I have been looking for other color varieties of this coral. I keep mine in medium flow and medium-low light. I need to take a PAR reading where this colony is located. I included a couple top down pictures. This coral is open most of the day and night but once in a while it is closed up and looks similar to some of the pictures you posted. I like them because they look similar to a carnation coral but are photosynthetic.
21bfe2dd27de536ecd62992920d51d5b.jpg
d16ad8e41f68cdadb3ebe1555ecc04f6.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a species of stereonepthya in my tank. It is light pink and yellow. I grew this colony from a 1" frag and I have been looking for other color varieties of this coral. I keep mine in medium flow and medium-low light. I need to take a PAR reading where this colony is located. I included a couple top down pictures. This coral is open most of the day and night but once in a while it is closed up and looks similar to some of the pictures you posted. I like them because they look similar to a carnation coral but are photosynthetic.
The ones I have , no polyps, spiky tentacles. I have communication with the divers and they dont have octo-polyps. I've found tonight pictures of my type. I see yours has tentacles. I'll have to add some lighting. Thanks for info. Big help.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful too

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back