Rate Hanna checkers from most important to ehhh maybe.

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the time has finally come where ive invested a few thousand into my tank and things are going pretty good but some of my tests are hot garbage. (Aka...API) Ya I'm calling you and your "phosphate" test out API. I wish I could just go online and order all the tests that I need tomrw but since they these tests cost more than some of my friggin corals, I'm gonna hafta go one at a time. So here is why I need your help. I'm going to start putting some cash aside and start buying a new Hanna Checker every 2 weeks until I have all the ones I need. They seem to be the most accurate and easy to use. I can't be over here like Mister Magoo trying to match up colors with color charts that all look the exact same color to me just to find out if my mag is low that day. Smh......API ;Rage. Sooo, which test checkers do you think I should go with first to last. Right now I have the Api Mater reef kit for my PH, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and the individual Api and Rika tests for cal, mag and phos. My tank is almost 9 months old 70Gal and I've recently started dosing cal and mag and seen good results. I just need my tests to be exact so I can make accurate dosing and its impossible when my phos option are 0.0 or 0.25 and nothing in between. So which should should I start with first and are there any other options other than the Hanna ones that I maybe don't need to sell my first born child for?? Thanks guys

Robb FH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the time has finally come where ive invested a few thousand into my tank and things are going pretty good but some of my tests are hot garbage. (Aka...API) Ya I'm calling you and your "phosphate" test out API. I wish I could just go online and order all the tests that I need tomrw but since they these tests cost more than some of my friggin corals, I'm gonna hafta go one at a time. So here is why I need your help. I'm going to start putting some cash aside and start buying a new Hanna Checker every 2 weeks until I have all the ones I need. They seem to be the most accurate and easy to use. I can't be over here like Mister Magoo trying to match up colors with color charts that all look the exact same color to me just to find out if my mag is low that day. Smh......API ;Rage. Sooo, which test checkers do you think I should go with first to last. Right now I have the Api Mater reef kit for my PH, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and the individual Api and Rika tests for cal, mag and phos. My tank is almost 9 months old 70Gal and I've recently started dosing cal and mag and seen good results. I just need my tests to be exact so I can make accurate dosing and its impossible when my phos option are 0.0 or 0.25 and nothing in between. So which should should I start with first and are there any other options other than the Hanna ones that I maybe don't need to sell my first born child for?? Thanks guys
Thanks for asking this, I've also been wondering the same thing. I was planning to start with Phos for the accuracy then kH for convenience. But I look forward to seeing others thoughts.
Btw, I totally agree with you about API for PO, NO and PH. But I did an ICP last month and the Ca and kH results were almost exactly what I get with the API kit. I was surprised.

nashlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently change from using a combination of Hanna testers and test kits to the exact idip marine kit. It is still new to me but I am impressed so far. I bit more expensive up front but it is easy to use and maintain.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinty checker is a must. Nitrate is real rough lol.

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to make management decisions about your phosphate levels, then the ULR Hanna checkers are the only hobby test kits that read phosphate in a low enough range to be useful.

I wouldn't bother using the checkers for anything else, because other kits are cheaper and work easier and arguably better than the Hanna ones.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any commercially over-the-counter tests are only going to get you within a certain RANGE of whats going on.

Four different types of tests:

1 - Drip Tests that use individually bottled reagents are prob the most accurate but still are not directly pinpoint accurate. inaccurate due to human error, age of the reagents, inconsistency of the reagent produced at the Factory. Tests include Salifert, Red Sea

2 - Color Changing Tests that use an electronic eye called a Colormeter to interpret the color for you. This is where Hanna checks in. Results can vary with dirty smudged vials that the colormeter eye misreads. The eye can't properly read the color bc the light is being distorted due to a dirty vial.. ive read even a slight fingerprint on the vial can drastically change the test result. This info came from Hanna themselves. The colormeter can also shift due to temp, dirtiest on the eye inside the unit, not calibrated properly at Factory due to eye misalignment. These units are mass produced in large production runs. No time for Mfgr to calibrate each one at the price point you are paying. If they were individually calibrated you'd get a QA sheet inside the packaging. You'd also spend 3x the price

3 - Color Changing Tests that YOU have to interpret with your own eyes. This is API. Very inaccurate bc the results are left up to human interpretations. Basically a test to get you a "general idea" where the results are.

4 - Dipstick Tests that use a test strip that changes color at the tip. The most inaccurate bc the reagents at the tip of the dipstick have been exposed to AIR for a long time, degrading the reagents. I personally would NOT base ANY decision on Husbandry based on a result of a dipstick. Garbage.

~~~~~~~

We can use a DARTBOARD as an analogy....

Drip-tests would get you a few inches from the bullseye representing a true test result

Colormeters would land your dart on the dartboard. How close to the bullseye? How clean is your vial? How old is your reagent media?

API would get you dart on the wall, on the dartboard, all over the place.

Dipsticks would hit the wall that the Dartboard was hanging on. Lol

True in-home hobbyist testing would be taking multiple samples using different test methods and come up with a tight bell-curve.

But honestly... who's got that amt of time and who's that anal?

Purpose of my own testing is to get a knowledge of whats going on.

If my Salifert test shows Calc at 390. I don't think its actually 390 but I do know my Calc is lower than I want and it needs replenished.

I do not walk around all day with the 390 number in my head. That would be OCD...

HTH

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of hanna checkers. The only one I’d say is even close to essential is alkalinity. Now that I’ve had a trident for a couple of years, well not quite, even that doesn’t get much use. The others are either just too persnickety or in the ‘what would I do differently based on the test result anyhow’ camp.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Alk and Hanna PO4 testers are awesome. Personally I prefer the Nyos for NO3. The Hanna Ca is not bad, but you have to use distilled water for it. The up front cost of the tests is a little high. The refills for Alk and PO4 are 9 dollars. That is a lot cheaper than any other kit. Ca and NO3 are 20 to refill, which is still cheaper than a lot of other kits.
I personally recommend going to your LFS and see which kits they test with. If they will allow you to do the test with them watching, I would then purchase the exact same kit. All hobby test kits are only as good as the person performing them. The only thing they are actually good at is showing trends. The best thing to do IMHO is get one that you can consistently and can tell the colors apart.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm lucky post #13!!! :D

I'm partially colorblind, so I feel your pain!

I recently purchased and have been using the Exact iDip 570 Marine Test Kit off Amazon. There are some additional costs involved to activate all the tests included in the kit, plus you'll want to purchase the Copper test too. The final cost to get started (assuming you purchase off Amazon) will be about $300. There are no color charts involved, everything is digital. A few of the advantages over Hanna are...
* One single meter for all tests, less batteries, less confusion/clutter from keeping so many meters organized.
* No instruction booklets to keep up with! Online instructions for each test are available at the touch of a button (PDF and Video) directly from the phone app.
* History of all your tests performed readily available for review from the app, anywhere/anytime you have your phone. No need to keep a notepad around or re-run a test because you forgot to write down the results before the meter shut down.

ITS (Industrial Test Systems) is located close to me in Rock Hill SC, which is what initially sparked my interest in their products. Their marketing to reefers hasn't been all that effective, and some of the early users on this forum didn't have very favorable results. But my (recent) experience with them and their 570 product line has been very good. You have to get to know the unit by doing some sit down time with it, learn their tests etc. Once you get comfortable with the system everything just clicks along. It's easy, accurate, organized and I believe less expensive in the long haul than the individual Hanna testers.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or looking for tips on how to get started.

Last edited:

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow Mr Saltwater Tank’s recommendations.
Follow Mr. Saltwater Tank recommendations

Attachments

• 6BCE4226-8B59-4D0F-84B4-A903EDC8D1BF.png
    6BCE4226-8B59-4D0F-84B4-A903EDC8D1BF.png
    386.5 KB · Views: 621

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by watching this BRS video where they reviewed various test kits.
I have followed their advice and am quite satisfied.
In summary they recommend:
  1. Calcium: Red Sea - I have used it for years with no issues
  2. Alkalinity: Hanna - no brainer
  3. Mag: Aqua Forest - easy to use
  4. Nitrate: Nyos
They didn't review phosphate kits - the Hanna is kind of a can't miss here too.
I also purchased Salifert kits for Alk, PH, and Nitrate as a backup to verify results if needed.

I also use the Hanna PH checker which I highly recommend.
I have a Apera PH meter but it's finicky and you have to replace the probe about once a year.
Recently purchased the TM High Precision Hydrometer which I really like - very useful for mixing salt.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order in my opinion. (No exp) means I do not own this tester. Top 3 are my "Heck Yes!" choices.

Alkalinity
Salinity / Temp probe
Phosphate ULR HI774 (others work)
Calcium (If very particular. If not, look elsewhere)
PH probe
PH Tester (no exp)
Nitrate (no exp)
Chlorine (no exp)
Nitrite (no exp)
Ammonia (no exp)

Copper (no exp) is a must IF you QT. Pointless if not.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna ULR phosphorous is a good test. It and the ULR phosphate are the only hobby kits that are sensitive enough to be useful. The ULR phosphorous test gets the nod for being the most sensitive. But unless you are doing an low nutrient system for SPS corals, I would think you might get by without a phosphorous test.

But there are less expensive tests that are good enough for everything else. Bulk Reef Supply has some excellent you tube videos on most of the tests comparing them.

Alkalinity - is a good test. But I find for reproducibility the Red Sea Pro and the Salifert test are just about as good. You will do fine with any of the three. For expense, salifert is the clear winner. API here is to the nearest DKH and that is pretty crude but to start it might be good enough.

Calcium - I have heard that the Hanna test is erratic because of the large dilution factor. I use the Red Sea Pro. But I would just bet that the Salifert is about as good and cheaper. Here API is OK.

Magnesium - Red Sea Pro drives me nuts. I use Salifert.

Nitrate - I like the Red Sea Pro for being the most sensitive. But the Salifert is similar and much less expensive. Here API drives me nuts.

Nitrite and Ammonia - It has been awhile since I have cycled a tank and I have not used these in some time. I used the Red Sea but I bet that Salifert does the job.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate meter would be number #1 colormeter because IMO it's the only one where you can't get the same accuracy and resolution in a traditional test kit. Alkalinity would be #2 (one for importance but you can get sufficient results out of a test kit). SKIP the Hanna calcium and nitrate meters. Too many steps, too complicated and my Hanna calcium meter always ready 30ppm more than every other test kit. You can call API out on the phosphate test kit (I have never got any reading above zero with it even at 0.3 on the Hanna) but I'm calling out Hanna on the Calcium. I used pharmacy distilled water, watched instructional videos on how far to push the plunger on the sample syringe etc and I still believe it reads way high. If it's accurate ALL other test kits read low. And the nitrate meter steps are beyond ridiculous.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic!!

My advice is to go with Hanna when the test is based on reading a shade of color but you can still use 'manual' tests for discrete color change measurements. The Hanna testers to get are:
1. Alkalinity- get this one first. It is quick and easy, plus gets you used to this type of testing.
2. Phosphate ULR- get this one second. A slightly different procedure (mixing in powder instead of liquid reagent) but still simple like alk.
3. Nitrate - get this one third. This one has additional steps and is more complex testing, but if you follow the instructions (take your time, especially the first few times) you will get great low range readings.
In my list of don't bother are:
1. Calcium - I find the Salifert Ca (and Mg) tests to be easy to perform with an obvious change point that is easy to measure. It is more than accurate enough for our needs. No need to upgrade to this more complex and expensive Hanna test.
2. Nitrite - you should be measuring Nitrate so infrequently after initial cycling that I would stick with non-Hanna to save money.
3. Copper and Phosphorous high range - not needed - I don't test this now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back