Rate my nano 1-10 honestly.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty nice some good growth personally I’d give it a 7/10.

First thing I’m not so fond of is all the green going on. I know most green corals are decent beginner corals but there’s different color variants of the corals you do have such as purple Duncan’s. I’d would have either went with a pink birdsnest instead of green or not have gotten the purple tip frogspawn.

Second, I’m a huge fan of arch’s and caves. It could be you have them but corals are just covering so might be nothing.

Both of these are personal preferences though so overall not bad!

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty nice some good growth personally I’d give it a 7/10.

First thing I’m not so fond of is all the green going on. I know most green corals are decent beginner corals but there’s different color variants of the corals you do have such as purple Duncan’s. I’d would have either went with a pink birdsnest instead of green or not have gotten the purple tip frogspawn.

Second, I’m a huge fan of arch’s and caves. It could be you have them but corals are just covering so might be nothing.

Both of these are personal preferences though so overall not bad!
Yeah there is a cave. The gold hammer blocks it.
Heres the tank a long while ago.
I do have some pink birdsnest in growout I can swap this guy out for at some point.

Screenshot_20200405-213430_Gallery.jpg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 6/10 mainly because it seems like the hammers/frogspawn are sort of taking over. I'd suggest moving one or two down to the lower level.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 6/10 mainly because it seems like the hammers/frogspawn are sort of taking over. I'd suggest moving one or two down to the lower level.
Does it look bad with all the euphillia? I was moreso hoping for a euphillia dominant system with other corals tossed in. What would be the best way to implement them? That top frogspawn hides how awkward the rockwork looks at the top haha. I posted another picture showing the rockwork way before it was that big.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's nearly as good as any nuvo 10 I've seen, but I think the nuvo 10 struggles with some dimension issues and limits the "score" versus other nano dimensions IMO.

I just upgraded to a 12-long from a nuvo 10 that I had for ~2 years, and a tank that was nearly full of corals now looks barren, I've got a lot to add to make it look at all decent.

For your tank, I like the placement of the euphyllia, but I do think you could frag the frogspawn up top and remove (and sell?) a head or two to thin it out a bit.

Some additional colors would help...maybe a jack-o-lantern lepto for a nice orange, or some rock flower anemones on the sand. I agree with the others that you could move the GSP onto your rocks, or if you don't want to do that perhaps put something else out there on an island with the gsp (maybe frag half of it).

Lastly, I think the duncan and those zoas are ready to go onto the rockwork. One strategy for awesome coralscapes is to try and put different colors next to each other. If you separated the mostly-green frogspawn and the green octospawn with the gold hammer that would help. If you had some green between your two fairly orange zoas that would help (maybe that goni? I see on the left would fit nicely between them).

Overall, we can critique your tank all day. But it looks great as-is. The corals are all healthy which is the top priority IMO.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's nearly as good as any nuvo 10 I've seen, but I think the nuvo 10 struggles with some dimension issues and limits the "score" versus other nano dimensions IMO.

I just upgraded to a 12-long from a nuvo 10 that I had for ~2 years, and a tank that was nearly full of corals now looks barren, I've got a lot to add to make it look at all decent.

For your tank, I like the placement of the euphyllia, but I do think you could frag the frogspawn up top and remove (and sell?) a head or two to thin it out a bit.

Some additional colors would help...maybe a jack-o-lantern lepto for a nice orange, or some rock flower anemones on the sand. I agree with the others that you could move the GSP onto your rocks, or if you don't want to do that perhaps put something else out there on an island with the gsp (maybe frag half of it).

Lastly, I think the duncan and those zoas are ready to go onto the rockwork. One strategy for awesome coralscapes is to try and put different colors next to each other. If you separated the mostly-green frogspawn and the green octospawn with the gold hammer that would help. If you had some green between your two fairly orange zoas that would help (maybe that goni? I see on the left would fit nicely between them).

Overall, we can critique your tank all day. But it looks great as-is. The corals are all healthy which is the top priority IMO.
The zoas on the sand are actually for my new tank. They were in growout. I had an aiptasia problem so I got a filefish (bad idea) I had to move my high end zoas into different tanks so the utters on the sand bed do not belong in here. The duncan I am trying to figure out a spot for it as it wasnt doing well in growout as well. It might end up on rockwork.
I plan on hacking off some heads soon.
The goni I have no idea how to move it fell off the plug so I glued it directly to the rock and it's like the tip of an eraser in size.
I'm always pulling frags out of this tank the acro on the left has doubled in size in 25 days (not kidding either)
I do agree some rock flowers would look awesome

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is 1/10
I didn’t post my old tank for you to scrutinize and poo-poo as if I presented it as a masterpiece. I posted it to provide some ideas and how mine grew out on its own. For all I know, you prefer your reef tanks full of plastic plants and that little bubble chest that opens up every so often. You didn’t post a comparison for me to work with. Just criticism. Some tanks look like a grocery store shelf if you divide things up too much and most of us would prefer a natural grown-in look.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look bad with all the euphillia? I was moreso hoping for a euphillia dominant system with other corals tossed in. What would be the best way to implement them? That top frogspawn hides how awkward the rockwork looks at the top haha. I posted another picture showing the rockwork way before it was that big.
The euphillia is cool and I like the idea of a euphillia-dominant tank but it works well only if it doesn’t become a canopy over everything else. They work awesome as a “back wall” coral with everything else cascading towards the front panel. Figure you probably wouldn’t want your other corals surrounding them because euphillias have sweepers and can sting stuff anyways, which makes putting them furthest back and higher than other corals the logical way to place them.

Twìsted~Coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t post my old tank for you to scrutinize and poo-poo as if I presented it as a masterpiece. I posted it to provide some ideas and how mine grew out on its own. For all I know, you prefer your reef tanks full of plastic plants and that little bubble chest that opens up every so often. You didn’t post a comparison for me to work with. Just criticism. Some tanks look like a grocery store shelf if you divide things up too much and most of us would prefer a natural grown-in look.
Sounds like I hurt you. It was a joke sorry you can’t take one. After all who cares what a reef tank looks like besides your self.

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Placing corals with different colors next to one another makes them instantly brighter and better looking. Great point.

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I hurt you. It was a joke sorry you can’t take one. After all who cares what a reef tank looks like besides your self.
I personally like other peoples' opinion about my set up. It has helped me make better informed decisions about its aesthetics.

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my nano 10g mixed reef. Running about a year now it has a bit of filling in to do. I plan on adding more reds, pinks and blues. Letd hear ratings 1-10 + maybe some constructive criticism

20200405_201417.jpg
Looks good. Cut the hammer back, get everything except the GSP and the plate up off the sand and onto the rocks. You might think about adding more zoas and palys at the base of the main rock structure if you are ready to invest in new corals. Framing the bottom of the rock with more color (zoas) might really help.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Cut the hammer back, get everything except the GSP and the plate up off the sand and onto the rocks. You might think about adding more zoas and palys at the base of the main rock structure if you are ready to invest in new corals. Framing the bottom of the rock with more color (zoas) might really help.
I do plan on adding more zoas. My intention with zoas was a last coral to fill in empty space. The zoas and duncan on the sand are stored from a different tank and are not permanent.

And yes I agree with you I love what other people have to say about my tank. The bad and good. I am a very new reefer this tank is younger than I thought... it turns 1 in 3 months!!! I digress, the insight helps me shape my future ideas and gives me a new perspective.
I have a lot to learn.

An interesting off topic observation on my euphilia I have made is I have never once seen a sweeper tenticle on any of them. I fragged some heads moved them to a different tank and boom sweepers.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m deeply hurt and will be leaving the hobby now. I’ll be selling all of my gem tangs and grandmaster kraks for $20 each. No lowball offers plz.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another fun fact about this system, 10 heads of the top frogspawn cost me 30$
The middle frogspawn was 15$ as 2 heads and the gold hammer was 40$ for 4 heads (it was at deaths door from flatworms at my lfs)

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire system coral and all I think I paid under $500 for what you see here including dosing. I was aiming for budget friendly

Back