Rate my sps chemistry. - stable for success or failure ?

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. I wouldn't let the PO4 get any lower and maybe a tiny bit higher on the mag but most of all just keep them stable. Stability, stability, stability.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a macro fuge instead of media reactors. Easier and more natural to control that way ime. There was a very interesting BRStv video recently that showed you could actually tune your fuge by adjusting the light intensity to control nutrient processing. Good stuff!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a macro fuge instead of media reactors. Easier and more natural to control that way ime. There was a very interesting BRStv video recently that showed you could actually tune your fuge by adjusting the light intensity to control nutrient processing. Good stuff!
Ah you beat me to it

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already employ a algae scrubber also 24/7

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag, calcium and alk look fine. I like my alk near 7. I keep my calcium around 420, but nothing to pick nits about.

PLEASE don't cut back on feeding the fish. Not only do they need it, it is the only thing that you are doing that will benefit the corals too... The N and P numbers are fools gold. Feed the fish a lot and export a lot with skimming, fuge and water changes and keep nitrogen available through ammonia/ammonium and let the fish produce every kind of phosphate/phosphorous and not just the one kind that your kit can test for. Using nitrate is very costly for corals of which most have to covert back to a usable form like ammonia for their micro algae to use. You cannot really measure this and it can be harder to grasp, but if you figure it out you will be way ahead of most of the crowd here and your tank will love you for it.

If you want to lower residual N and P numbers, you up export, not cut import. Most of the time, a mature batch of live rock and sand can handle nitrate with ease... but this all changed with the paradigm shifts to dry/dead rock of BB tanks which are not good at completing the nitrogen cycle (no3 to N gas) for years, if at all ever.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag, calcium and alk look fine. I like my alk near 7. I keep my calcium around 420, but nothing to pick nits about.

PLEASE don't cut back on feeding the fish. Not only do they need it, it is the only thing that you are doing that will benefit the corals too... The N and P numbers are fools gold. Feed the fish a lot and export a lot with skimming, fuge and water changes and keep nitrogen available through ammonia/ammonium and let the fish produce every kind of phosphate/phosphorous and not just the one kind that your kit can test for. Using nitrate is very costly for corals of which most have to covert back to a usable form like ammonia for their micro algae to use. You cannot really measure this and it can be harder to grasp, but if you figure it out you will be way ahead of most of the crowd here and your tank will love you for it.

If you want to lower residual N and P numbers, you up export, not cut import. Most of the time, a mature batch of live rock and sand can handle nitrate with ease... but this all changed with the paradigm shifts to dry/dead rock of BB tanks which are not good at completing the nitrogen cycle (no3 to N gas) for years, if at all ever.
hmm, thanks for the input, ill keep the feeding regimine the same and continue the weekly water changes, but, corals have polyp extension when i get them in and then within a few days its far reduce...so i was thinking the nitrates are causing the issue, I have no fish that eat sps or any other critter, i have awesome flow ( 3 x Mp40s , 2 x neptune wav and 2 returns run by ecotech M1.. so dont know what else it could be...lighting is top notch as well ( 2 x 250w MH and 1 x radion gen 5 pro and 4 x 80w T5 and 2 x orphek OR3 blue plus- par levels 350 -450 for most of tank

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 -0.03 - Hanna
No3 - 18ppm - Hanna
Calcium - 450ppm - Hanna
Alkalinity 7.50 ppm Hanna
Magnesium - 1350 ppm - salifert
Cannot rate your numbers without pics of your tank!

A saltwater aquarium can thrive with these numbers or have big problems. There are Reefers on this forum R2R with these parameters all over the map. Some very successful and others not.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot rate your numbers without pics of your tank!

A saltwater aquarium can thrive with these numbers or have big problems. There are Reefers on this forum R2R with these parameters all over the map. Some very successful and others not.
i am going to lower the nitrates to 5 ppm and keep all other parameters the same if possible

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anoxic bacteria in sand or rock. This can be in tank, fuge, remote DSB, etc. Chaeto on top of turf reactor - if you are not a water changer, then you might need to dose some iron. Sulfur Nitrate Reactor can be good too. If you don't have a bunch of sensitive coral, then some organic carbon can work.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anoxic bacteria in sand or rock. This can be in tank, fuge, remote DSB, etc. Chaeto on top of turf reactor - if you are not a water changer, then you might need to dose some iron. Sulfur Nitrate Reactor can be good too. If you don't have a bunch of sensitive coral, then some organic carbon can work.
I run a algae turf scrubber 24/7 already, its the large clearwater scrubber

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back