Rate my sps chemistry. - stable for success or failure ?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot rate your numbers without pics of your tank!

A saltwater aquarium can thrive with these numbers or have big problems. There are Reefers on this forum R2R with these parameters all over the map. Some very successful and others not.
Can not agree more.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1635273154836.png

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to disagree with most here and just suggest that if you can keep it stable at those numbers you got nothing to worry about from a parameters perspective. Obviously success is about more than those parameters you list, but you can certainly do just fine with parameters like that. My opinion is dont get bogged down in finding that perfect ideal number for everything. Most parameters have a pretty big range to allow you to be successful (and even thrive).

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a macro fuge instead of media reactors. Easier and more natural to control that way ime. There was a very interesting BRStv video recently that showed you could actually tune your fuge by adjusting the light intensity to control nutrient processing. Good stuff!

Do you happen to have a link to that video?

I have a chaetomax 18W... it's not dimmable, but I'm guessing I could raise and lower it or filter it some way if needed.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just run a fuge full blast. Since macro is one of the few things that can use nitrate directly (unlike most coral) and a few kinds of P, it will just slow down when the levels get lower. Hubris of man trying to out think nature on this one... and maybe BRS wanting to sell something? Most natural methods cannot take away so much that corals actually starve unless you cut back or stop feeding.

If you are using chemical media, then this could be a problem... but it depends on the application. Need to hear more about this. Using GFO can be fine, or bad.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a link to that video?

I have a chaetomax 18W... it's not dimmable, but I'm guessing I could raise and lower it or filter it some way if needed.

Photoperiod is the other variable. Here it is, hope it helps!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back