Rate my stocking (subject to change)

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first saltwater tank (75 gallons) is almost done cycling and I'm getting ready to stock it. I'd like some reviews and rates on my current plans to make sure it won't just cause me extra issues down the road I don't need. Plans are as follows and in this order:
3 hi-fin red banded gobies (already have one that snuck in on some liverock and miraculously survived)
3 cleaner shrimp
3 cardinal fish

1 Royal gramma
1 percula clown
1 longnose hawkfish

I do intend to keep corals and possibly anemones down the road so please keep that in mind. Would also appreciate suggestions on a good species of sand sifting sea star that is reef safe and good with a these fish.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the stock list. I’d personally add a fish that likes to consume algae as we inevitably get it in our tanks at some point.

Also, post your list on this thread for some explorer advice on compatibility: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...for-your-tank-post-here-and-well-help.200605/

And score on the hitchhiker! That is amazing. Where did you get your rock from?
Got all my actual liverock from Petco. Majority of my rock is base rock since I still have plenty of live and needed to save money. I think I might also add a brittle sea star. Think that would cause issues? Considering adding it either before or after shrimp.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your list is fine as well. Ditto on something to help with the algae. A lawnmower blennie would be my choice, or perhaps one of the bristletooth tangs.

As for a sand sifting star? IMHO, there are none that are even close to compatible with anything other than a very large, well established tank with a DSB. Even then, the sand will be decimated in short order and the star will eventually starve and die.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your list is fine as well. Ditto on something to help with the algae. A lawnmower blennie would be my choice, or perhaps one of the bristletooth tangs.

As for a sand sifting star? IMHO, there are none that are even close to compatible with anything other than a very large, well established tank with a DSB. Even then, the sand will be decimated in short order and the star will eventually starve and die.
That's what I've read. Was hoping maybe there was a miracle species hiding somewhere but I guess not anywhere easy to find. Noted about the algea eater, I'll look into a good addition. I do have a snail and several small hermit crabs that also snuck in on the liverock. And away from that point I've got what appears to be a massive number of copepods in my tank (tiny white insect looking things) does that mean anything specific or are they growing wildly because of such few predators? My water looks almost cloudy with them and they are all over my glass.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an abundance of pods is a good thing. As soon as you start adding fish, their population will stabilize. IME, pretty much any fish will eat some, and certain species will happily munch until you end up adding more. In fact, the only real reason I have a refugium section in my sump is so that the pods have someplace safe to multiply.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R

Glad you joined and looking to forward to seeing the tank.

Can’t add much on the great advice already, other than my personal preference. Not a big clown and gramma fan, but your list of adding them should be fine. Billdog mentioned bristletooth which are perfect. I like firefish, I think they are underrated.

If you like, stop by meet and greet to say hi and also start a build thread so we can watch.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I'm curious why you are choosing to go with one clown instead of two? Good luck on the build!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stock list :) I have never found algae eating fish to be necessary, I use tuxedo urchins and turbo snails.
Urchins are absolutely the best for algae control, including coralline!

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my! I have never had my tuxedos move my rock, they stay pretty small though.

I was exaggerating a bit. Silver gave me a pink he said kept moving his clam. They are great additions though.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I'm curious why you are choosing to go with one clown instead of two? Good luck on the build!
It's my first tank and I'm honestly concerned about the bioload. I've read and heard so many different things about how many fish to add. A mated pair seems like it'd be really enjoyable though and I've been considering editing the list to incorporate them. Anyone think my concerns with total bio-load are warranted or do I have plenty of room to spare?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's my first tank and I'm honestly concerned about the bioload. I've read and heard so many different things about how many fish to add. A mated pair seems like it'd be really enjoyable though and I've been considering editing the list to incorporate them. Anyone think my concerns with total bio-load are warranted or do I have plenty of room to spare?

I don't think you are close to having an issue with bio-load as long as you don't have an undersized filtration system. That said, I still recommend that you add fish slowly so the system can stay balanced. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are close to having an issue with bio-load as long as you don't have an undersized filtration system. That said, I still recommend that you add fish slowly so the system can stay balanced. Good luck!
I've got a marineland cannisters filter and am getting the aquamaxx 1.5 HOB and from the research I've done it's heralded as an amazing skimmer. I'll probably add each phase about 2 weeks apart or more. If that's the case I'll do the mated pair and look at more fish. The urchin is very intriguing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a marineland cannisters filter and am getting the aquamaxx 1.5 HOB and from the research I've done it's heralded as an amazing skimmer. I'll probably add each phase about 2 weeks apart or more. If that's the case I'll do the mated pair and look at more fish. The urchin is very intriguing.

It really depends on your filtration methods, rock, coral growth.. etc. Every tank is different. However, you will be fine for another clown, percula's stay smaller.

Territory and aggression concerns/compatibility is more of a concern in most cases then bioload as long as you are stocking reasonably.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was exaggerating a bit. Silver gave me a pink he said kept moving his clam. They are great additions though.

Those pink pincushions are surprisingly strong. As an FYI, if you gently beat them with a turkey baster, they will release the clam they are carrying.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first saltwater tank (75 gallons) is almost done cycling and I'm getting ready to stock it. I'd like some reviews and rates on my current plans to make sure it won't just cause me extra issues down the road I don't need. Plans are as follows and in this order:
3 hi-fin red banded gobies (already have one that snuck in on some liverock and miraculously survived)
3 cleaner shrimp
3 cardinal fish

1 Royal gramma
1 percula clown
1 longnose hawkfish

I do intend to keep corals and possibly anemones down the road so please keep that in mind. Would also appreciate suggestions on a good species of sand sifting sea star that is reef safe and good with a these fish.
So I've got the 3 shrimp in there now. They seem to be settling in nicely with eachother and have chosen their areas of the tank. I've decided to only get 2 cardinals since I found they can be very aggressive with eachother and will be getting those this weekend. Please send me any suggestions you guys have for other fish. Also just did a test and here are my current parameters:
PH- solid at 8.1
Ammonia-0.05
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Specific gravity-1.025

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back