Ratio of magnesium chloride to magnesium sulfate when using NeoMag in reactor

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag is low at 1230 as well as calcium at 400. My alk is where I want it at 9. I plan on dosing calcium chloride to bring calcium up to 425 after raising mag to around 1300.
I use kalkwasser and a calcium reactor. I have NeoMag in a separate chamber inside the calcium reactor and am unsure if that impacts the ratio of magnesium chloride to magnesium sulfate I should use.

A ballpark ratio in weight or volume would be much appreciated.

I copied this from the BRS site.

NeoMag by Brightwell Aquatics
Overview

• High-purity, magnesium-rich mineral that may be employed in traditional calcium reactors, or even blended in to pre-existing aquarium substratum, to gradually increase and maintain the magnesium concentration in the system.
  • Provides magnesium, which helps regulate the balance between calcium and carbonates in aquarium water, and is a component of aragonite, the mineral secreted by reef-building organisms to form skeletal material.
  • Composed of magnesium, calcium, and carbonates.
  • Optimal average particle size for use in media reactors and calcium reactors.
  • Free of chloride and sulfate.
  • Mined in the United States.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the ratio to use when calcium chloride is not the primary way you dose calcium and sodium carbonate is not the primary way you dose alk:

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
3. Using both Epsom salts and MAG flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is preferred, but its advantage over recipe #2 is minimal in most cases.

Note that combining the two materials in solution can result in some precipitation of calcium sulfate (calcium and sulfate are impurities in the MAG flake and the Epsom salts, respectively. To assure yourself that the two materials have fully dissolved, dissolve each separately in some freshwater before combining them. Some calcium sulfate precipitation is acceptable, and it is okay to let the solids get into the aquarium, assuming you can dose in a way that prevents them from landing on delicate organisms.

Note also that this recipe (#3) is different from that given in my DIY two-part recipe, because in that case more magnesium sulfate is necessary to offset the rise in chloride that is provided by both the calcium chloride and the magnesium chloride.

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I saw different recipes and the NeoMag seemed like it could be a wild card. It's a great feeling to move ahead with confidence, Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I saw different recipes and the NeoMag seemed like it could be a wild card. It's a great feeling to move ahead with confidence, Thanks!

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back