OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah it was all like hide everything not even one wire visible. Thats all fine and dandy till you got to do maintenance and rip everything up lol. Good luck!

@Branespikin lol so true. Hopefully i've done it in a way that things can be removed fairly easy. Those aren't permanent Zip Tie holders.

My OCD couldn't let me not make it neat!

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your rodi connected directly to your ato reservoir? What turns off your rodi once filled?

@Branespikin I am using the Tunze RO Water Controller 8555. It has a float sensor for water on and off inside the reservoir which will trigger a solenoid to either turn water on or off. Sadly my solenoid seems to be faulty as when it is in the off position it still dribbles water through. I have contacted the vendor and they have a replacement on the way.

On the RODI Side I have had to order in a "Add on" for the unit that will Automatically stop water from being filtered otherwise even when I am not calling for purified water the RODI unit will continue to produce waste water. Called the Auto Shut Off Valve.

We are very fortunate here on the island with great water. The TDS readings are 16ppm on the input and I am getting 0 (zero) on the output!

Sadly the community I am in has poor water pressure so we barely have enough pressure to run the system... May be installing a booster for the whole house... the RODI unit is showing between 40-60psi, usually on the low end. We've had our PRV Valve for the house replaced once before and it is currently dialed all the way up :(

Fill progress!
Almost filled.jpg

I must say the iPhone X is taking some really good pictures!

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thats good. Exactly how u need it setup with latching relays. When it hits low it triggers solenoid and when it hits high it turns it off. I been running mine like this fir 2 years and never had a problem once the float valve git stuck in off position thank god not in on position. They say these float switches are not really made to be submerged. My ato is 5 gallons so if it were to get stuckin on position it would only dump about 4 or so gallons which should not really do major damage.

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some updates.

The tank has been full for a couple of days now and I've been running the pumps moving water around. Had one VERY minor leak in the main drain at the bulk head. A quick mild tightening turn resolved that after 1 click. Seems the threads were designed with a stop after you engage 1 click? anyway, its rock solid now for a couple of days with zero leaks. I also replaced the O rings in all 3 pipes. Just in case. They felt very soft compared to new ones I have. No harm.

Had some sensor issues with the Neptune ATK but I think they are resolved. One wasn't triggering even when fully submerged. After working with Neptune support, we made some adjustments to the float valve fail safe. we swapped ports for the sensors and power cycled the FMM. Seems ok now.

Adding Salt now, about 3 cups at a time, then letting the water circulate to bring it up slowly. At 5PPT now but just added in 3 cups more salt so it should rise in an hour or so. I know, I know, lots and lots more salt to go! What's the rush!

Once I get it around 34PPT I'll be adding in the Fiji Pink Live Sand and begin the maturation cycle. I decided to give the Red Sea Tank Mature product a try.

Picture of Salt settling after being added. Clears up really fast as well.

Progress!

In case you are wondering, that Light reflection is the Nanoleaf rythm LED panels, amazing lighting product. Though, now that the Tank is lit, I'm not sure I need it lol!

Adding Salt.jpg

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Branespikin I think you just convinced me to go with Tunze for a new ATO system! Thank you @Raxnar for being a couple months ahead of me in progess! Let's you work out all the bugs and makes it easier on me! I'm curious how you will find the two gyres. Do you think it'll be too much flow or are you running them tuned 50% or lower?

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze all the way. 2 years on my tank didn’t skip a beat. No flaws. Some people complain that everytime it turns on it primes itself and dumps some water in sump but no big deal. I turn mine off once a day when i feed so no big deal

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Branespikin I think you just convinced me to go with Tunze for a new ATO system! Thank you @Raxnar for being a couple months ahead of me in progess! Let's you work out all the bugs and makes it easier on me! I'm curious how you will find the two gyres. Do you think it'll be too much flow or are you running them tuned 50% or lower?

@Fence13 , Well, to be fair I had just updated the firmware on the FMM the night before and didn't power cycle it. Today I've tricked it into running a few times and it has been flawless. I wouldn't discount the product from one person having some minor difficulties.

The Tunze is also an amazing unit and very reliable.

I like the idea of being mostly Neptune parts, especially for the Automation angle I'm going for. I'll be ordering a COR-20 soon as well and will move my Varios 6 to a cold standby.

Currently while I salt the tank I have the Gyre's at 20% constant flow to help ensure the salt is mixed thoroughly. Lots of head room for more flow.

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the glass on your Eheim heaters are fully submerged. I've seen exposed glass get so hot it cracks.

@kinetic , good tip thanks! So far I have checked the glass that is exposed, first with a thermometer so I don't burn my self and then with my finger and they do not get hot enough to burn. I'll definitely keep an eye on ti and monitor next time they engage.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, keep an eye out on the heaters!

What was wrong with your Neptune ATK? I didn't have any issues from the get go (going on 4 months with it).

Why are you going for the COR-20 over Varios-6? Is this mostly just to stay within Neptune equipment?

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, keep an eye out on the heaters!

What was wrong with your Neptune ATK? I didn't have any issues from the get go (going on 4 months with it).

Why are you going for the COR-20 over Varios-6? Is this mostly just to stay within Neptune equipment?

@kinetic intermittent issue where even submerged a sensor would not engage at all. swapped them around and the issue went away. but I think I did the power cycle as well during that time. Since it has been great.

I had also shoved the orange tube too far down the output elbow on the sensor and hadn't realized it was restricting flow. Also I thought I had a defective PMUP with how loud it is when it operates. Turns out the restriction on the output was causing back pressure and made the PMUP angry a little. It is quieter now but still louder than I had expected. Thankfully it shouldn't run all that often really.

So some of the issues were actually user error :) ah well live and learn.

Regarding the Cor-20, I could get a second varios 6 as a cold stand by, no particular reason other than the full integration without a separate controller appeals to me.

I live on Vancouver island so ordering some stuff I have to wait a day or 2. Without a return pump that can spell disaster for a tank, especially if I have to wait 2 days... The LFS doesn't always carry stock for equipment. There's a Petsmart nearby, I suppose I could see what they have on hand and get something if I have problems.

I'm an IT guy by trade so I like to be prepared and have redundancy!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kinetic intermittent issue where even submerged a sensor would not engage at all. swapped them around and the issue went away. but I think I did the power cycle as well during that time. Since it has been great.

I had also shoved the orange tube too far down the output elbow on the sensor and hadn't realized it was restricting flow. Also I thought I had a defective PMUP with how loud it is when it operates. Turns out the restriction on the output was causing back pressure and made the PMUP angry a little. It is quieter now but still louder than I had expected. Thankfully it shouldn't run all that often really.

So some of the issues were actually user error :) ah well live and learn.

Regarding the Cor-20, I could get a second varios 6 as a cold stand by, no particular reason other than the full integration without a separate controller appeals to me.

I live on Vancouver island so ordering some stuff I have to wait a day or 2. Without a return pump that can spell disaster for a tank, especially if I have to wait 2 days... The LFS doesn't always carry stock for equipment. There's a Petsmart nearby, I suppose I could see what they have on hand and get something if I have problems.

I'm an IT guy by trade so I like to be prepared and have redundancy!

Makes sense. I run a VarioS-4 for my return, and I have a brand new one sitting on a shelf just in case. I got it way before the Neptune pumps were around. I like having the exact same pump, because I will just need to easily use the union to reattach the return line, and plug the pump straight into the controller. Theoretically, since it's the same pump, it'll just turn on and go. All my settings (including VDM) will be ready to go. Though I guess having a cor-20 will be super nice with all the Apex integration!

Looking forward to more of your build!

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a big day I think.

We added 2 x 20lb bags of CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Live Sand!

Salt is fairly stable sitting around 34.5.

Haven't started the RedSea Reef Mature program just yet. Waiting for the tank to clear.

I expected it to be cloudy but this is practically skim milk!
Sand In.jpg

I wasn't prepared for how much of a film this step would leave on everything! wow! the Gyre pumps have nearly turned white!

I am using the included filter socks with no added material at this stage and have had to clean them once already.

Should I be adding some finer filter material to help clear this up or just continue to give it time. I think the latter.

I have spread the sand out since I took this picture and the water does appear to be clearing quite a bit.

Another question, should I be running my Skimmer at this stage or will I be just kicking up more of a mess?

Progress once again!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used dead/dry sand. "Live" sand is just a bit of bacteria that's added in (same as you can get with a simple bottle of Bio Spira, cheaper too). It's also like this, creates an opaque cloud.

I rinse my sand out A LOT before adding it in. I actually rinsed about 30lbs for an hour by hand until it was clear. Never had a cloudy tank.

Your sand should eventually settle down. Use filter socks and skimmer! It'll take a day or two to fully clear up probably.

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used dead/dry sand. "Live" sand is just a bit of bacteria that's added in (same as you can get with a simple bottle of Bio Spira, cheaper too). It's also like this, creates an opaque cloud.

I rinse my sand out A LOT before adding it in. I actually rinsed about 30lbs for an hour by hand until it was clear. Never had a cloudy tank.

Your sand should eventually settle down. Use filter socks and skimmer! It'll take a day or two to fully clear up probably.

It certainly did overnight! In Spades!

Didn't have time to give the glass a wipe had to run to work. But it's looking 1000% better than last night! I'm sure it'll only get clearer over the next few days. And then I'll be kicking up some dust again when I adjust the sand. Didn't quite cover all the egg crate while doing it blind.

Also need to "blow" off the rock with a turkey baster, quite a bit of sediment landed all over.

Starting to look real good.

Tank Clearing.jpg

OP
OP
Raxnar

Raxnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raxnar, looking good. I have a RSR 250 also. What are your livestock plans?

About the only thing I am thinking of is a pair of Clownfish and anemonies to keep them happy.

Obvious clean up crew, some crabs, some shrimps, snails, star fish.

Going slow.

Starting the Maturation process today or over the next couple days.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back