Raxnar's Red Sea Reefer 250 Deluxe - Vancouver Island Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Raxnar, Nov 17, 2017.

1. powers2001

powers2001 started reefing 1999 Build Thread Contributor

I would feed that CUC some fish food. It will also help your cycle. There's probably not enough algae for them right now. Everything's looking good!!

Raxnar likes this.

2. Raxnar

Raxnar Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have been feeding the CUC some high quality fish food in the evenings when I have my Gyres turned off for bed time. Give the tanks some quiet time. Crabs seem to take the hint and come out of hiding!

I need to sit down and do a proper program for the Gyres.

If I were to introduce a Benny or 2 I could feed them with Nori until Algae starts to build up more. But maybe I'll err on the side of caution and wait a bit longer. Crabs are pretty funny.

I have, what I believe to be a bit of a Bacterial Bloom going on. Water is a tiny bit milky white. probably need to shorten the light cycle, if I recall I have it doing 12 hours, 8 at full blast, 2 hour ramp up/down time. probably should make that 8 hours with 1 hour ramp up/down instead or 8 hours including the ramp up/down 1 hour.

Water change tonight should reduce the milky look a bit. It is hard to capture the milky colour in a photo.

3. Raxnar

Pretty "quiet" week.

I think I've finally got my Nyos Quantum 120 to calm down! made some VERY wet skim last night. cup was 3/4 full of water that was very yellow. Dumped/cleaned it and now the foam is barely reaching the top.

Probably ok at this stage.

Water valve is wide open and the air valve is as closed as it gets. I did try to open the air valve a bit this morning and it didn't increase the foam. I'll play more with the air valve in the morning.

Have had a bacterial bloom over the past few days.

I've also had a bit of a realization with the placement of the Neptune Probes.

I had placed them just before the filter sock run off using the Neptune Probe holder. With the Custom RO reservoir taking up most of the cabinet beside the sump The magnet to hold the rack would only hold it so that 1.5" of the probs and 3/4 to 1" of the temperature probe was submerged.

Well, I spot checked the temp last night and I was at 27.9C... dang...

I've since swapped sides of this chamber and they are submerged right up to the probe holder so there is no chance that air can mess with the temp probe now!

Temperature was under control within 2 hours, back to 26C.

I can't say for certain how long the temp has been that high but I'm afraid it could have been a couple weeks... Nobody seemed too unhappy except I have a feeling the higher temp probably fueled or even started the bacterial bloom possibly.

Living and learning!

We introduced 2nd half of my CUC yesterday, they seem happy even though the trials and tribulations noted above...

We also introduced our first fish, 1 Bi-Colour Blenny. Obviously a stressful experience being transported and introduced to a new home so I have no pictures to share. I just hope he hasn't died over night...

I didn't catch the temperature problem until AFTER he was introduced...

All tank levels seem to be doing ok, Nitrates are a bit higher than the Red Sea Maturation programs mentions but that may be partly due to the bacterial bloom?

With the Temperature sorted out, Skimmer working better and an air stone going (replacing the O2 being consumed by the bacteria), hopefully everything will start to settle down and Larry the Blenny will come out and say hi.

My wife named him :)

No Pics today.

najer likes this.
  4. najer

najer Valuable Member

Good luck with the little guy, they are tough little things. :)

5. Raxnar

Saw Larry a couple of times today, seems ok, a little less shy but still hiding a ton.

PH, I've been trying to wrangle this in a little bit. It's fluctuating but not too terribly.
    PH.jpg

I've dosed Distilled Vinegar twice in the past few days now at the recommended 1ml/gallon (~53ml per dosage) and it does bring it down some but it comes back up.

Tomorrow is Water change day so I'll see after what condition we are in then.

Is Soda water maybe more effective than Vinegar? Other suggestions?

I think the big spike there may have been when I had a bacterial bloom. This is now gone.

I also have an air stone going 24/7 at the moment, as well as skimmer 24/7 now that it is dialed in.

6. Raxnar

Smallish update for Family day holiday.

Tank Keepers are on duty! Do not disturb! That's our boy Maverick on the left, he's a Highlander and will be 2 in May. The Tortoise shell is Nevada and she'll be 10 this year. They get along famously. When she is on duty she talks up a storm lol.

Tank Keepers.jpg

I have my full CUC crew in the tank now, some may say its a bit much but I think it'll be ok.

24 x small blue leg hermits
    5 x Scarlet red Hermits
    28 x snails, new snails are some small black cerith and some larger fast ones that the name escapes me at the moment.

I also added in some larger empty shells for the crabs to grow.

At least 1 of the Scarlet's grabbed a new home with in the first 24 hours! caught him lined up ready to move!

Moving day.jpg

One of the newer snails looked like he may be sick yesterday, found him on his head upside down and his foot was shrinking into its shell. I flipped him over and he hasn't moved in 18 hours. I know snails can easily sit still for many many hours, but at what point to do you grab him and inspect him to see if he's alive? 24 hours?

Larry the Blenny seems to be good! He's starting to be more adventurous and seems to like the algae pellets and red seaweed I put on a clip for him. He's still quite shy when I approach the tank when he's out but he's getting more active.

Today is water change day. I plan to add 318ML of Soda water during today's water change to try and drop the PH some. Since I've stopped running the air stone 24/7 it has stabilized quite nice (very little fluctuation), but is still a bit high.

We have a Soda Stream soda machine so I'll take some RO water and make Soda water for the tank, that way its not tap water.
    PH stablized.jpg

Still No Algae at all to speak of. Diatom growth has all but vanished or the snails are eating it faster than it can spread.

I think the tank is progressing nicely.

najer likes this.
  7. Raxnar

RIP Snail, I took him up with tongs and used a q-tip to see if he'd react, nothing...

8. najer

najer Valuable Member

:(

Raxnar likes this.
  9. powers2001

powers2001 started reefing 1999 Build Thread Contributor

Now that you've spent a bunch of money on a CUC, take my advice and DON'T get a Hawkfish!! Even after hearing they're not safe with invertebrates I added a flame hawkfish to a tank with snails and hermits and three days later he killed them all.

Raxnar likes this.
  10. Raxnar

Thanks for the tip!

Not sure a Hawkfish is my cup of tea.

11. Raxnar

So we decided to Re-Calibrate the PH probe tonight as it wasn't jiving with the Red Sea Test kit.

Then we decided to rip through all the test again to see where were at with only 2 days left in the Red Sea Mature Kit process.

Salt - 34 PPT (1.0256)
    PH - 7.75
    ORP - 308 (This one is a strange one and probably a bit confusing, I still don't understand it fully)
    Temp - 26.1C
    Alkalinity - 5.75 (I had read the dosing instructions wrong a little while ago so this is a bit high but is coming down)
    Ammonia - 0.1
    Nitrate - 12
    Nitrite - 0.5
    Phosphate 0.08

I think things are looking pretty darn good.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted