Razor caulerpa, apparently you are immune to death. (funny)

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 120G softy tank. Technically, this tank has been running for about 20 some odd years. Eons ago I used to run a little razor caulerpa in the sump back in my old house, and then a little got in the display.

Fast forward to about 15 years ago, when I moved houses, and the tank. The caulerpa was all wiped out, and a non-issue.

Fast forward again to 3 months ago, when suddenly, from one of the (original 20+ year old) rocks, with no additions to the tank in over 3 years, a little sprig of razor sprouted. And then kept growing, and became a huge mass.

Somehow, my 20+ year old razor caulerpa, that I haven't seen sight nor sign of, just started growing again. Color me impressed.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this happen with macro algae before just not on this time scale. Many macro algae release spores that can be dormant for some time before they start to grow again. I learned that many macro algae species have seasons in the wild where they come and go every year. More or less if the conditions become right just like land plants they will start to grow. Thanks for sharing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back