RBTA shriveling and closing up after lights out?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a RBTA that is wide open during photoperiod, but sometime between lights ramping down and going out, will shrivel and retract.

Is this normal? Is it related to changes in water chemistry in that timeframe? Or simply "going to sleep"?

Right now I am QTing some Clown's and will be hopefully introducing them into the tank sometime soon in hopes they will host, however, if the RBTA is shriveling at night, I don't think the Clowns would continue hosting.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Are you saying this due to the general difficulty in getting anemones to host Clowns when they are introduced separately?
I've had multiple BTA and clowns for over 2 years. Some will take on a BTA as a host and some won't. BTA aren't their natural hosts in the wild.

OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Edit: depending on clown species.

These guys.
20210104_115521.jpg

jgirardnrg

View Badges
Reaction score
Do you have an RBTA? If so, what type of Clowns is it hosting?
Yes, I have a huge RBTA (over 12 inches wide opened up). The clowns are Mocha Clownfish. Took them a couple months before they stopped sleeping by the return pipes and loving the anemone.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
These guys.
20210104_115521.jpg
Natural host for those would be carpet mags and alike. Also be very careful with adding 3 to the tank. I learned the hard way how mean clowns can be to the odd man out. Not saying it can't work. However be ready to catch one. Again though, your clowns may be like many others and flock right to the anemone. I'm on the other side of that though. I've tried every single thing I can find and the clowns just won't go for it.

BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
You answered your own concern in part- Photosynthetic. They respond to light. Many corals too fold and close up with no light as they and Nems produce zooxanthellae under lights.
It is up to the individual hosts to accept the clowns. Some do it instantaneous while others can hold out for weeks. Three clowns are ok AS LONG as they are all the same size or within. One will become the largest and the female which behaves like a queen amongst bees.

OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
You answered your own concern in part- Photosynthetic. They respond to light. Many corals too fold and close up with no light as they and Nems produce zooxanthellae under lights.
It is up to the individual hosts to accept the clowns. Some do it instantaneous while others can hold out for weeks. Three clowns are ok AS LONG as they are all the same size or within. One will become the largest and the female which behaves like a queen amongst bees.
They were turned into the LFS as a heram trio, so hopefully they'll be ok.

WHAT WATER CHANGE "PERCENTAGE" MAKES IT WORTH DOING?

• 5% - 10%

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 89 55.3%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 40% - 50%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 50% or more

Votes: 0 0.0%