RBTA shriveling and closing up after lights out?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RBTA that is wide open during photoperiod, but sometime between lights ramping down and going out, will shrivel and retract.

Is this normal? Is it related to changes in water chemistry in that timeframe? Or simply "going to sleep"?

Right now I am QTing some Clown's and will be hopefully introducing them into the tank sometime soon in hopes they will host, however, if the RBTA is shriveling at night, I don't think the Clowns would continue hosting.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do what they do. It's not abnormal. In the absolute miracle that your anemone hosts the clowns it will stay open more.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do what they do. It's not abnormal. In the absolute miracle that your anemone hosts the clowns it will stay open more.
Are you saying this due to the general difficulty in getting anemones to host Clowns when they are introduced separately?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying this due to the general difficulty in getting anemones to host Clowns when they are introduced separately?
I've had multiple BTA and clowns for over 2 years. Some will take on a BTA as a host and some won't. BTA aren't their natural hosts in the wild.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: depending on clown species.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: depending on clown species.

These guys.
20210104_115521.jpg

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys.
20210104_115521.jpg
Natural host for those would be carpet mags and alike. Also be very careful with adding 3 to the tank. I learned the hard way how mean clowns can be to the odd man out. Not saying it can't work. However be ready to catch one. Again though, your clowns may be like many others and flock right to the anemone. I'm on the other side of that though. I've tried every single thing I can find and the clowns just won't go for it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You answered your own concern in part- Photosynthetic. They respond to light. Many corals too fold and close up with no light as they and Nems produce zooxanthellae under lights.
It is up to the individual hosts to accept the clowns. Some do it instantaneous while others can hold out for weeks. Three clowns are ok AS LONG as they are all the same size or within. One will become the largest and the female which behaves like a queen amongst bees.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You answered your own concern in part- Photosynthetic. They respond to light. Many corals too fold and close up with no light as they and Nems produce zooxanthellae under lights.
It is up to the individual hosts to accept the clowns. Some do it instantaneous while others can hold out for weeks. Three clowns are ok AS LONG as they are all the same size or within. One will become the largest and the female which behaves like a queen amongst bees.
They were turned into the LFS as a heram trio, so hopefully they'll be ok.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back