Re-aquascape and securing rock

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some 1/4” acrylic rod as a supplement to two buckets of emarco I have to secure the rock in my tank. Plan was to remove about 1/3 of the rock at a time, emarco the rock after any chiseling I want to do, zip tie it, then drill and insert rods. I read about using cement to secure it as well, unsure if that would cause a ph spike or if it is even necessary. Any thoughts?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used that product. I would fathom a guess if you allow it to cure it would not affect ph. It’s supposed to be non toxic

Let’s see if anyone else used it.

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used that product. I would fathom a guess if you allow it to cure it would not affect ph. It’s supposed to be non toxic

Let’s see if anyone else used it.
Cement is what I’m worried about effecting the PH, not the emarco. I tried to find the article that has the type of cement from Home Depit, but I cannot.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, thought the emarco takes place of cement.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm probably just stick with the E-Marco stuff. Known stuff and safe. Not too expensive although I guess Portland cement is cheaper but maybe worth the piece of mind if you guy with the E-Marco stuff.

Edit: BRS notes:
100% Non-Toxic - Triton ICP Tested

Have you ever wondered how they make those remarkable aquascape structures? MarcoRocks E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Kit is how!

The kit includes everything you will need to create your own morter that is specially modified to keep the joints from becoming brittle in saltwater. The cement, once mixed will turn into a paste-like consistency that you can then use to bond live rock together to create a permanent, long-lasting bond. Using a cement morter can have its advantages over other adhesives, most notably the way coralline algae spreads onto the rocks. Many types of glues, epoxies, and other polymer based adhesives will actually repel coralline algae coverage, where MarcoRocks E-Marco-400 allows the algae to grow naturally making the seams disappear much faster than other methods.

• Ideal for larger reef aquascapes
  • More economical than other adhesives
  • Sets in 20 minutes
  • Cures underwater
  • 2-hour handle time

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably just stick with the E-Marco stuff. Known stuff and safe. Not too expensive although I guess Portland cement is cheaper but maybe worth the piece of mind if you guy with the E-Marco stuff.

Edit: BRS notes:
100% Non-Toxic - Triton ICP Tested

Have you ever wondered how they make those remarkable aquascape structures? MarcoRocks E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Kit is how!

The kit includes everything you will need to create your own morter that is specially modified to keep the joints from becoming brittle in saltwater. The cement, once mixed will turn into a paste-like consistency that you can then use to bond live rock together to create a permanent, long-lasting bond. Using a cement morter can have its advantages over other adhesives, most notably the way coralline algae spreads onto the rocks. Many types of glues, epoxies, and other polymer based adhesives will actually repel coralline algae coverage, where MarcoRocks E-Marco-400 allows the algae to grow naturally making the seams disappear much faster than other methods.

• Ideal for larger reef aquascapes
  • More economical than other adhesives
  • Sets in 20 minutes
  • Cures underwater
  • 2-hour handle time
Did you use it?

U

User1

View Badges
Did you use it?

No. I use oceans wonders coralline purple reef safe epoxy putty. I was just replying and providing info on the E Marco stuff. I wish I did upon my initial aquascape. I think it would hold up better and allow me to stock a couple engineering gobies. However, it will have to wait for another upgrade in the future possibly.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If working with dry rock I've had the best luck with apoxy sculp or magic sculp.

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally reaquascaped my tank with emarco and boy is that stuff strong! Glad I used it. I’ll have to get some pics to show what it held together, but the rock really will break before the emarco.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back