RE-Aquascaping: Have you ever changed it up and why?

Have you ever Re-Aquascaped and already established reef tank?

• YES (post in the thread why)

Votes: 241 53.9%
  • No I have not

Votes: 131 29.3%
  • No but am considering it

Votes: 75 16.8%

• Total voters

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked my first effort at aquascaping but when I started to add corals I realised its limitations.
The scape I have now is not as pleasing to the eye but is more practical.
20180729_100448.jpg
20191203_114009.jpg

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did a re-scape and it has been not super positive with regards to corals. Everything was perfectly fine until I decided to change things around. Slowly trying to figure out what is going on. This includes light mounting changes, flow changes, etc.

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I had a fellow reefer come over with a Par meter, and after taking some reading he made some very good suggestions about how to move around my existing rock structures to optimize my lighting, and give a better 'design' to my rock work. Ended up great, with his recommendations I had SPS growing finally up top, my zoas were happy, things worked out well. If you have a good reason to do it.. do it.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken a tank completely down to fight an aptasia outbreak of biblical proportions; however I found a larger tank I fell in love with, and instead started that tank up and sold my old one, so I don't think that counts.

I tend to secure my rocks to prevent rock falling, so re-aquascaping is a ton of work.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I'm guilty. When I first started, a few rockfalls forced the issue. Never was the same even though I tried. As I rebooted my tank this las time, it took a few iterations but relatively happy with the end result. A combination of aesthetics and practicality considering the tank dimensions. It looks like a wall of rock but in reality there is almost as much free swimming space behind the structure as there is in front.
DSCN2734.JPG
20180615_185812.jpg
DSCN2702.JPG
R2R-latest.jpg

Vasilios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been procrastinating for months on a rescape.

Why should I do it?
a) I built it wrong in the first place. Too tall and too much rock.
b) My corals are growing out of the water (without much success)
c) It is acro warfare in there.
d) Stylo growth such that I cannot clean the front glass in a few places.
e) Despite having 2Xmp40s and 2X gyres, no flow in the middle.

I will be selling monti, stylo, and no-name acro by the pound.
What color stylo are you selling? Where are you located?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not crazy.....or am I?

Re-Aquascaping an be GOOD but it can also be BAD!

So yea I'm thinking about re-aquascaping my 8ft x 3ft reef tank and not because I'm crazy but because I need to get as much hair algae off these rocks as possible! Which in and of itself is crazy to consider but alas options are running out fast! I've really made a dent and beat back the hair algae over the past couple of months but I think I could connect with the final blow that would knock it out if I would take out some rock and scrub it! But I need to get some major pieces of rock out first to do that and that will lead to a unintended re-aquascape! Boo.

Anyway this got me thinking about our QOTD today and I thought it might make for a nice discussion. There are some good reasons and some not so good reasons I think.

So here are my questions.

1. What are some GOOD reasons to re-aquascape and already established reef tank?

2. Have you ever re-aquascaped an established reef tank and were you happy with the results?

PLEASE SHARE ANY RE-AQUASCAPED TANK PHOTOS YOU MIGHT HAVE!

REAQUASCAPED A REEF copy.jpg
My tank literally lost everything - due to a power failure despite my efforts - I decided to buy a couple dry rocks (2 table ones - in my signature - to raise everything up - to increase flow on the bottom. It looks nice (I think) - and worked well flow-wise

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I had crash early in early October - overdose of alkalinity supplement. After rescuing the tank and bringing it back in Line, i decided it was a good time to reaquascape. I pulled my old rock out - it was both live live rock and dry rock. It did create a mini cycle and quickly became an algae paradise...it’s been 21/2 months and I’m still Getting the algae under control. My corals couldn’t be Happier - what few I have, mixed. Waiting for the algae To succumb tomfluconazole before I decide to Buy any more corals.

Uwharrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not crazy.....or am I?

Re-Aquascaping an be GOOD but it can also be BAD!

So yea I'm thinking about re-aquascaping my 8ft x 3ft reef tank and not because I'm crazy but because I need to get as much hair algae off these rocks as possible! Which in and of itself is crazy to consider but alas options are running out fast! I've really made a dent and beat back the hair algae over the past couple of months but I think I could connect with the final blow that would knock it out if I would take out some rock and scrub it! But I need to get some major pieces of rock out first to do that and that will lead to a unintended re-aquascape! Boo.

Anyway this got me thinking about our QOTD today and I thought it might make for a nice discussion. There are some good reasons and some not so good reasons I think.

So here are my questions.

1. What are some GOOD reasons to re-aquascape and already established reef tank?

2. Have you ever re-aquascaped an established reef tank and were you happy with the results?

PLEASE SHARE ANY RE-AQUASCAPED TANK PHOTOS YOU MIGHT HAVE!

REAQUASCAPED A REEF copy.jpg
several times. twice due to algae issues last time was trying to get out a fish from hell

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several times in the past , first time was going from a 180 to my 300 10 years ago, and In the process of ripping it apart right now to change the structure some to get remotivated after the tank crash a couple of years ago and also to remove all the rose bubble tip anemones

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i moved stuff around nothing major to make things better for corals ( lighting ) ot nothing major

Back