Re-homing Live Rock

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some established live-rock from a tank tear down last weekend (8 days ago) and put it in buckets full of water in my garage thinking it would keep all the bacteria alive. I realized I might need to put a heater and a powerhead in there to keep the water moving, so I moved the 2 buckets of water/rock to a tub and realized the water stinks horribly. I've had a reef tank for a while, never smelled like that, but I've also never had saltwater sit for a week without filtration or flow. Is the rock still okay to use or should I dry it out and re-cure it? It's in a tub with a heater and powerhead now, so I was hoping the smell was just stagnant water and it'd go away now that it's in some flow and has a consistent temp.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smell was probably the living organisms that were in the rock rotting after they died. In my opinio, I wouldn’t use the rock in a reef tank while it still smells. It will probably cycle in the tank now that you have heat and flow but I would think it’ll take awhile. Check the Ammonia in the tub, my guess is that it’s very high.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap.... Okay will do. thanks guys. I'll just replace all the water with new saltwater and get some beneficial bacteria to put in there, that's just the easiest path forward. Do you think I need to take the rock out, dry it out or treat it with citric acid, then re-cure it, or just replace the water?

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t dry it or treat it with citric acid, I would do regular water changes and maybe add the beneficial bacteria. Just keep testing and monitor the cycle. This is all just my opinion, other people may think differently.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. You may not even need the beneficial bacteria because it will survive. If you think back to 5 years ago, folks use to order boat rock (live rock that is shipped via boat for weeks) and they perform a basic rinse and cycle.

Your rock is better than this because it has been submerged the whole time, even if temp wasn't kept.

Agreed with @JDnKY, new water with heater/water movement and a few weeks.. you'll be all set.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back