OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What this video. It’s a 8 day program that basically uses a combo of things from carbon dosing, adding bacteria, h202 etc but they give exact doses and parameters for things even like c02

He interviews the guy who came up with it and he explained everything

Thank you!

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been in your shoes. Watching everything get covered with brown slime. All these people are trying to help you but honestly answering their questions aren't going to help you. You need to attack this with bacteria and a 3 day (minimum) black out period. That means you go get youself a 16 ounce bottle of Dr. Tim’s waste away, a 16 oz bottle of renew (marine version), a newspaper, a roll of scotch tape and a half inch siphon tube. Use the tube to remove as much Dino you can. Stir the sand bed as much as possible. Replace the tainted water with fresh mixed salt water. Next cover the entire tank with the newspaper (use the scotch tape). Now turn off your lights for 3 days (if you have corals don’t worry they will be fine). Read the directions on the waste away bottle then read them again. Next find someone else to read the directions and in tour own words describe your interpretation of the directions you read. Make sure the other person agrees with your interpretation. Dose the waste away for 2 days and the renew days 3 and 4. If you follow these directions you will have a very high success rate of beating this. If you pm me your email I can forward you an email that Dr. Tim wrote to me with the directions. I am so impressed with his products I now intermittently dose waste away when I was feel like my bacteria colonies need a boost. I wish you the best of luck.
Wow thank you for that. Might give this a try

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my skimmer, Seemed to gain a lot of garbage in 3 days. I also think I see dead strands of Dino floating around in the Skimmer cup and tank. could they be declining in population? So far no visible grow back on the glass or rocks

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my skimmer, Seemed to gain a lot of garbage in 3 days. I also think I see dead strands of Dino floating around in the Skimmer cup and tank. could they be declining in population? So far no visible grow back on the glass or rocks

Dr Tims recommends daily change out of socks. Some strains of dinos apparently enter the water column when the lights are out, so it's important to also turn out your refugium lights so they just don't just relocate... like they did in my tank... lol. Dosing Waste Away will help break down the dead/dying dino mats. It has done wonders for my tank after I did it the second time with refugium lights off

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tims recommends daily change out of socks. Some strains of dinos apparently enter the water column when the lights are out, so it's important to also turn out your refugium lights so they just don't just relocate... like they did in my tank... lol. Dosing Waste Away will help break down the dead/dying dino mats. It has done wonders for my tank after I did it the second time with refugium lights off

Have left my refugium lights off as my cheato died from the dinos growing over it. Will check filter socks and change if needed. Thanks

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for helping out and giving your personal experience, helps to have someone guide me thought and tell me what to do and not to do.
No worries. I just went through it, myself. Now have NO3 at 10ppm and PO4 at 0.03ppm. Been feeding more heavily and experiencing a bit of an algae bloom, but I'll take that over dino's!

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing less and less dinos everyday. On the 9th day of dosing Dino X. Wish Dino X could always be consistent. Sucks to hear for some people that Dino X doesn't work. @Fauna Marin could you help explain why this might happen, Could it be something with tank params? Could you also tell us the conditions in which Dino X was tested

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents that showed great success (note I dealt with osteropsis)
Scrub the rocks hardcore in a bucket of salt water. Get it off the sandbed by blasting it with a baster. Filter all the water out of the tank through a 1-5 micron filter sock (I found a 2 foot long sock on amazon for 7$) and pour the filtered water back into the tank. Then 3 day blackout. With nightly peroxide doses of 1ml per gallon.
First image is after treatment others are before

20191008_174301.jpg 20190929_184826.jpg 20190929_184542.jpg 20191001_201022.jpg

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed Dino x again. All Dino on glass is gone. Still have some Dino spots here and there on the rocks but used h202 to kill it off. Will see if it grows back soon. Also any tips for keeping dinos away once you have beat them? @Jake_the_reefer and @Grigs how have you deal with this?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed Dino x again. All Dino on glass is gone. Still have some Dino spots here and there on the rocks but used h202 to kill it off. Will see if it grows back soon. Also any tips for keeping dinos away once you have beat them? @Jake_the_reefer and @Grigs how have you deal with this?
In both my tanks I do 1ml of peroxide nightly and a uv steralizer. Dino cleared from my 10g in a week, 20g in 3 weeks. During the time I performed 0 water changes, I did some dinox in my 10g but I decided I went too far and stopped. I also scrubbed my rocks then filtered the water through a 5 micron sock like this and poured the filtered water back into the tank. A couple hours of painstaking work and religious peroxide dosing it's gone. I went from a dino wonderland to crystal clear.

20191010_211227.jpg 20191010_211221.jpg Screenshot_20191010-211436_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20191010-211450_Photos.jpg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To filter out dinos a 5 micron sock is needed as Jake mentioned. Larger sizes allow then to mostly slip through.

It sounds like DinoX may be starting to work. Once they are gone, the only way to keep them from coming back is to maintain nutrients. Ostreopsis like Jake had respond to UVs but amphidinium like you have typically won't. Amphidinium do seem to respond to bacteria dosing though. Nutrient maintenance works on all types of dinos for prevention.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To filter out dinos a 5 micron sock is needed as Jake mentioned. Larger sizes allow then to mostly slip through.

It sounds like DinoX may be starting to work. Once they are gone, the only way to keep them from coming back is to maintain nutrients. Ostreopsis like Jake had respond to UVs but amphidinium like you have typically won't. Amphidinium do seem to respond to bacteria dosing though. Nutrient maintenance works on all types of dinos for prevention.
To add to this. You can find 1-5 micron stocks for just 9$ on amazon (aquarium grade of course)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of many ways but not one of them is proven to work effectively except raising po4 and no3 so other algae can grow.

Ive killed them off with roundup in a separate 5 gallon bucket. Its glyphosate and its toxic to all plant life. However it may kill coral or your fish. I havent tried it in the tank yet but id rather find the actual cuase.

My main targets are when the tank gets very dirty with visual piles of detritus i noticed they grow a lot. Second, i had bottomed out po4 but no3 is 150ppm. Third i had a pump leak stray amperage into the tank. Its possible there is heavy metals. Fourth my ro unit is consistently 12 tds. I dont use deion resin. Any of these are suspects to me and you might want to check those.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing my maintenance on my hydor pumps and sorta broke a piece of the fan cover off my bigger pump. Both are very old and weak. think its time for a replacement. Also all of a sudden my pumps are running backwards? Why?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing my maintenance on my hydor pumps and sorta broke a piece of the fan cover off my bigger pump. Both are very old and weak. think its time for a replacement. Also all of a sudden my pumps are running backwards? Why?
Usually pumps have a mechanism in the cover that forces them to run in the correct direction. If it breaks then they can run backwards. I just had to replace a current usa pump due to this

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back