Ready to throw in the towel from Dinos

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just unplug and restart them. A pump can run either direction. If you are fast and have help you could have someone else turn it on while you hold the propeller and start it in the right direction, then put the cover back on. It's a PITA, but it should work. Be fast because while you are holding it the current is maxing out...

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed Dino x again. All Dino on glass is gone. Still have some Dino spots here and there on the rocks but used h202 to kill it off. Will see if it grows back soon. Also any tips for keeping dinos away once you have beat them? @Jake_the_reefer and @Grigs how have you deal with this?

I'm still waiting to see if I got it, honestly. I have a light dusing on my sand despite being in the middle of a pretty healthy algae bloom. Perhaps it's just algae on the sand... One can only hope. I'd really rather not drop the $900 it will cost to set up the 80W UV...

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just unplug and restart them. A pump can run either direction. If you are fast and have help you could have someone else turn it on while you hold the propeller and start it in the right direction, then put the cover back on. It's a PITA, but it should work. Be fast because while you are holding it the current is maxing out...
I could easily do that but I wont be able to put it on my wave maker. I have 3d printed out a simple stopper and will try to super glue it on. If not im gonna leave it on 24/7

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could easily do that but I wont be able to put it on my wave maker. I have 3d printed out a simple stopper and will try to super glue it on. If not im gonna leave it on 24/7
How big is your tank? I just got a killer wavemaker for 60$ If your wavemaker completely fails id try one out! :)

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic from today
20191012_123114.jpg
and here is one from a couple months ago
20190603_183828.jpg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of many ways but not one of them is proven to work effectively except raising po4 and no3 so other algae can grow.

Ive killed them off with roundup in a separate 5 gallon bucket. Its glyphosate and its toxic to all plant life. However it may kill coral or your fish. I havent tried it in the tank yet but id rather find the actual cuase.

My main targets are when the tank gets very dirty with visual piles of detritus i noticed they grow a lot. Second, i had bottomed out po4 but no3 is 150ppm. Third i had a pump leak stray amperage into the tank. Its possible there is heavy metals. Fourth my ro unit is consistently 12 tds. I dont use deion resin. Any of these are suspects to me and you might want to check those.

Dinos are caused by bottoming out nutrients and usually with high intensity lighting too. Your zero phosphates would trigger it. Bottoming out phosphates is more likely to trigger it than nitrates.

I'm still waiting to see if I got it, honestly. I have a light dusing on my sand despite being in the middle of a pretty healthy algae bloom. Perhaps it's just algae on the sand... One can only hope. I'd really rather not drop the $900 it will cost to set up the 80W UV...

If you keep nutrients from bottoming out, then you won't need a UV. I beat mine with nutrient control and they haven't been back in over a year now.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my current params of
Nitrate: 20 nyos and 50 saliftert in ppm
and .8 ppm phosphate from Hanna. Are these params acceptable or no?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my current params of
Nitrate: 20 nyos and 50 saliftert in ppm
and .8 ppm phosphate from Hanna. Are these params acceptable or no?

Those number are a little high. While some well established and well stocked tanks run at those numbers, I would try to get PO4 under 0.2 ppm and NO3 in the 10-20 range as a max.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate my mag float! Doing manual scrubbing from now on. The mag float always is scratching my glass and this time its a visible scratch. I have the aqueon reef ready 75 gal tank. The glass I feel is not big enough to hold 75 gals of water. I checked the magnets and nothing is on them. I hope these scratches dont mess with the structural soundness of the tank

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just stop dosing nutrients and they will fall on their own. I don't recommend using media to reduce them because you'll risk dinos coming back.

I hate magnetic scrapers too. I use a sharp razor blade to clean my glass. Stupid scratches... :mad:

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just stop dosing nutrients and they will fall on their own. I don't recommend using media to reduce them because you'll risk dinos coming back.

I hate magnetic scrapers too. I use a sharp razor blade to clean my glass. Stupid scratches... :mad:

Will natural nutrient uptake like coral be better. I am going to reefapalooza on Saturday so might get a coral or two!

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank just over a year old and have been battling dinos ever since I bottomed out nutrients. I have been battling what seems to be Amphindium(is that how you even spell it?) dinos. The dinos never form bubbles but are consistent of glass and rocks. I have tried h202, UV, Vibrant, refugium and nothing seems to work. I recieved my new ulr phosphate Hanna Checker and will post params soon. I also just started Dino X not sure it will work but am done with with these dinos.

No3 - 20 Nyos and 50 by salifert. All by ppm
No4 - 0.90 ppm
Using a 7 and a half hour light period by only blues from 2 Ai primes on a 75G tank.
Have been reading about metronidazole and might try that but do not have enough info at the current time.
Any help Is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Alex

Hello i am having same issue as you, no matter what i tried cant get rid of them.. dosed dino x after 5 days noticed dinos getting way worse than before, plus corals were stressed so stopped. I hope we can beat this dino together once and for all. I found this thread through @brandon429 Since amphi somethig Dinos like to stay in the sand so not effected by uv, What if we stirred the sand bed every night after lights out to get the dinos suspended in the air so uv will kill it? Anyone tried this?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i am having same issue as you, no matter what i tried cant get rid of them.. dosed dino x after 5 days noticed dinos getting way worse than before, plus corals were stressed so stopped. I hope we can beat this dino together once and for all. I found this thread through @brandon429 Since amphi somethig Dinos like to stay in the sand so not effected by uv, What if we stirred the sand bed every night after lights out to get the dinos suspended in the air so uv will kill it? Anyone tried this?
I have tried but didnt work. Doing the sand rinse method from @brandon429 seemed to help. Pushed them back alot. I know stable params help too. I have been reading up on using metroplex to stop dinos from reproducing successfully. I have stopped water changes and run only blue lights. I have seen that urchins destroy dinos on my glass and leave rocks white. I also mught start up my phyto farm again and dose phyto eveyday

Oiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using Ro water? Do you run any type of GFO, carbon?

If you are using RO water and this did not happen after few months. Check you’re RO water quality with a TDS device.

And just to be sure. Dont run dirty water into container, make sure you use the right hose.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back