Ready to throw in the towel from Dinos

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who might be nearing max stress on dinos, what hasn't been done here is total sandbed removal. Fight dinos and winning is easier bare bottom, using any menthod of control or doser. They are being protected and fed in the sb

Once beaten, sterilize the bed and put it back. Siphoning sand means mixing portions around in the water. Removing sand to lessen hiding places doesn't block any method of control at all.

im going to give it till the end of this week. If i dont see it get better im definitely going to remove the sand..like you said they seem to live in the sand as refuge mainly.. if we remove the sand we remove their home. Thats why i was thinking earlier in the posts to do this.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphidinium. Definitely dose MicroBactor 7. Don't be afraid to over do it a little. Feeding heavy will increase nutrients but remember food is made up of more than just nitrates and phosphates. You will add things like S from feeding too. Plus inorganic sources give the competition an advantage resulting in faster progress.

What is your filter size? If it's too big then you're just mixing them around.

So il definitely get a bottle of micro bacter 7

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should get mb7 tmr. Will document this. I also had some fun looking around my tank with a black light and the places
with coraline are red. Some places on my rocks are also red but no coraline. Could this be the dinos?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some cheato going. Also picked up an nice culture of phyto. Also some green turf algae seems to be growing. Skimmer smelled horrible when i got home from school so something is in the water.
20191024_161242.jpg
20191024_161204.jpg
20191024_161112.jpg

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you turning off skimmer and and uv for 4 hours after dosing? I have removed my sand and today found hardly any dinos just a bit on the rocks
Dosing microbacter 7 can take up to 2 weeks to see any difference.. so just be patient with it. Remember to turn off skimmer and uv for 4 hours.. dose with a pipette inside the tank not on the surface and then wash pippete again before using in microbacter7 to avoid contamination of the bacteria

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing microbacter 7 can take up to 2 weeks to see any difference.. so just be patient with it. Remember to turn off skimmer and uv for 4 hours.. dose with a pipette inside the tank not on the surface and then wash pippete again before using in microbacter7 to avoid contamination of the bacteria
Does It have to be with a pipette under the surface? I have been putting it in a 4 cup container mixing there and pouring it directly in.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will be dosing like that from now on. I seem to have alot more green algae on my glass and rocks. Should I keep them to maybe help combat the dinos?

Definitely keep them to help create that Fe deficient environment. That will combat the dinos.

Could Dino X and mb7 work at the same time. just leave the skimmer and uv off?

If Dino X didn't work then, it won't work now. I have heard of people doing more than the recommended dose of MB7 though with good results.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i removed the sand 2 days ago... noticed A-dinos growing on the rocks a lot of it... so last night i decided to increase the sump turnover to 10x an hour..
i also decided to up the uv flow so it went from 200LPH to 600LPH..
Then set the wavemakers to full wack but set them up so one side turns on for 15 seconds and turns off followed by the other... i was watching closely and could see that this type of flow kept the detritus suspended longer in the tank enough time for it to go down the overflow so figured this could help with the dino spores too allowing it to be killed by UV. i then blew the rocks of all dino after lights out. Ive just come back from work 24 hours later and guess what... HARDLY any dinos on the rocks... this is the biggest reduction ive seen in dinos this quickly. And my lights were on full blast too like they always are... will keep you updated and let you know

22F21BC0-212D-41E9-9FA8-C5170E30C7E3.jpeg

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i removed the sand 2 days ago... noticed A-dinos growing on the rocks a lot of it... so last night i decided to increase the sump turnover to 10x an hour..
Then set the wavemakers to full wack but set them up so one side turns on for 15 seconds and turns off followed by the other... i was watching closely and could see that this type of flow kept the detritus suspended longer in the tank enough time for it to go down the overflow so figured this could help with the dino spores too allowing it to be killed by UV. i then blew the rocks of all dino after lights out. Ive just come back from work 24 hours later and guess what... HARDLY any dinos on the rocks... this is the biggest reduction ive seen in dinos this quickly. And my lights were on full blast too like they always are... will keep you updated and let you know

Great to hear!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great news. That @brandon429 guy knows a thing or two.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos humble us more than any invader going! I enjoy seeing surgical work against them, added to the ongoing work people do with param tuning and competitor tuning. To chart patterns...the more data avail the better

Most important factor is an aquarist willing to keep mvng forward and we enjoy using sandbed access biology so that no tanks are lost when attempting to make dinos comply. It doesn't always work for sure but it's nice to know if we want to try removing their hiding place, it's handy that we have a reference work of people just moving homes to see access data on avoiding recycles. Sand can be removed, hopefully the battle won and then bleach or peroxide sterilized and added back. Run the bare bottom system without any UV or dosing or anti Dino actions in place a while, be sure they're suppressed then I think adding sand w be ok

If not, rip it again lol until a better way is found

Doing sandbed work always reveals hidden secrets about microbiology, cycling, and how active surface area works

You just removed what would seem like half your surface area. If done in 1998, you'd be drummed out of town for the impending crash by not giving your rocks months of partial sand removal in order to take on more bac

It doesn't work that way at all, we see in sand removal pattern work. The rocks are so much convoluted and twisted and super coiled surface area, whatever you do to the bed doesn't matter and how fast you do it doesn't matter. That you are thorough is what matters

Live rock is so powerful, I have collected moves where we halved their rock (from rock wall to reef bommie) + ripped out sand, and same fish bioloading does fine in the new place.

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they are a giant pain they are beatable! I went through the same thing by bottoming out nutrients on my last build but ultimately beat them and didn't even have to remove all of my sand. They were confirmed amphidinium by scope too so no mistaking. Not easy but it is possible.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect they can't take hold of anything due to the current. But they are still there and thus not beaten, at least not yet. Keeping them in the water column will make UV more effective though. If this strategy were maintained long enough, I'm thinking a month, then I could them not coming back if nutrients were maintained when current was dropped back down and sand was reintroduced.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back