Real Estate Aquariums-75 gal SPS tank

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting over!

I moved office locations and went to a tank since I have more room in my office. My tank was up & running for about 3 month then all of my acros started to die, I mean everything!

I brought what I could to a LFS but it was too late.

The only corals that I have left are ORA Neon Green Birds Nest, Mystic Sunset, Chili Pepper & Rainbow Monti.
Starting Over 2018-05-21.jpg

Equipment:
Radions XR30 G4 x 2
Ventra M1
MP40wDQ x 2
Bubble Magus 5.5C Skimmer
GeoReef Calcium Reactor 510 w CarbonDoser Regulator
16w UV
AquaMaxx O3 Ozonizer 57mg
APEX w WXM & ALD
I hope to have a custom sump made so I can run @Floyd R Turbo Aquatics ATS.

Update 2018/09/19 I got my new sump that I won from the R2R raffle.
I got the Triton TRS30 Reef Sump & a custom Stealth ATO 8x15x15 so that its the same height & depth as the sump.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting over!

I moved office locations and went to a tank since I have more room in my office. My tank was up & running for about 3 month then all of my acros started to die, I mean everything!

I brought what I could to a LFS but it was too late.

The only corals that I have left are ORA Neon Green Birds Nest, Mystic Sunset, Chili Pepper & Rainbow Monti.
Starting Over 2018-05-21.jpg

Right, because it is near impossible to kill Montipora or birdsnest.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you luck on the restart!!:)

Patients is your friend, it took my over 9 month before I started keeping Arcos alive:rolleyes:

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 75 gals with about 55 lbs of Haitian live rock, it will be SPS tank. The current fish are Red Sea Regal, Purple Tang, small Clown Trigger, Blotchy Anthias, Green Chromis & pair of clowns.

Last edited:

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros dying out of nowhere... a reefers worst nightmare! Good to see you bounced back. Whats your equipment list?

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Patients is your friend, it took my over 9 month before I started keeping Arcos alive:rolleyes:

Wow[emoji43] I just got my first acro last week, do you know what the cause of death were or was it just a mystery?

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros dying out of nowhere... a reefers worst nightmare! Good to see you bounced back. Whats your equipment list?
I believe it was due to new tank syndrome, I went to a larger tank with Bonsai Reef aquascape. I treated with chemiclean because I had some algae growning about 1-2 weeks afterwards my acros starting melting so I could have killed any good bacteria that was keeping my acros alive after the move.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow[emoji43] I just got my first acro last week, do you know what the cause of death were or was it just a mystery?

:D:D What I found was to keep the parameter balanced, maily the alk steady. The other 2 things were dosing and lighting. I had a light better suited for fish only and when I switch to dosing to give the corals what they needed beside the salt in between water changes.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was due to new tank syndrome, I went to a larger tank with Bonsai Reef aquascape and I treated with chemiclean. About 1-2 weeks afterwards my acros starting melting so I could have killed any good bacteria that was keeping my acros alive after the move.

Some things we just learn from trial and error, actually I would say a huge part of this hobby is trial and error lol

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D:D What I found was to keep the parameter balanced, maily the alk steady. The other 2 things were dosing and lighting. I had a light better suited for fish only and when I switch to dosing to give the corals what they needed beside the salt in between water changes.

Yeah lighting is a concern of mine also, im currently running an AI prime hd on a nano and I am concerned that it will not be enough for highlight acropora.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things we just learn from trial and error, actually I would say a huge part of this hobby is trial and error lol

I am Mr. trial & Error and my system is in the ER and getting nursed back. I decided to switch to a Auto Water Change and my alk spiked twice along with the rest of my parameters. What I should have done is stop dosing:rolleyes: Just an FYI one almost does not have to dose with a auto water change.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Mr. trial & Error and my system is in the ER and getting nursed back. I decided to switch to a Auto Water Change and my alk spiked twice along with the rest of my parameters. What I should have done is stop dosing:rolleyes: Just an FYI one almost does not have to dose with a auto water change.

“My system is in the ER and getting nursed back” story of my life[emoji23]

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah lighting is a concern of mine also, im currently running an AI prime hd on a nano and I am concerned that it will not be enough for highlight acropora.

I have read where member have had great success with the primes hds, it just getting the light right. I now use the 26 hds on my 72 bow front and had to back off on the light intensities for the reason I was burning up the arcos.
On thing else I found was to feed frozen and a liquid food for my corals plus vitamin. The vitamin help the whole system health and also help the corals recover from getting blasted with light. The liquid food feed the corals.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“My system is in the ER and getting nursed back” story of my life[emoji23]

LOL everything I start messing with things, it is trouble:oops::D:D The reason for the auto water change is that my schedule can get quite busy and I need automation. I used to dose all kinds of products and also found to keep it simple;)

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL everything I start messing with things, it is trouble:oops::D:D The reason for the auto water change is that my schedule can get quite busy and I need automation. I used to dose all kinds of products and also found to keep it simple;)

Yeah I like to feed coral supplements and frozen as well. I am yet to keep it simple there is too much I want to try out. I have ordered a ton on polyp labs products the coral supplements from red sea and KZ, im also thinking about prodibio but it seems like a scam. As for water changes I have an idea to attempt keeping the system as stable as possible. I want to do a drip water change over the course of hours I will be testing it out next week.

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My previous reef was a 4 year old 60 cube, when I set it up I purchased live rock from another person and starting putting SPS corals once cycled and didnt have any issues but this tank I had some sand & marine pure from my cube with some new stuff the corals were starting to grow then the corals started to melt away after I treated with chemiclean.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous reef was a 4 year old 60 cube, when I sent it up I purchased live rock from another person and starting putting SPS corals once cycled and didnt have any issues but this tank I had some sand & marine pure from my cube with some new stuff the corals were starting to grow then the corals started to melt away after I treated with chemiclean.

Did you have a cyano out break and needed to use the chemiclean?

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used chem clean and its been 48 hours with 50% death of red slime should I dose again?
Also would it be a good idea to add back some type of bacteria ?

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to take all of my fish out of my tank and go follow for 76 days. I have never been big on QTing my fish but thats all about to change.

Current fish list
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
Green Chromis
2 TR Clowns
Red Sea Regal Angel
Purple Tang
Sm Clown Trigger
Blotchy Anthias
Small juv Aussie Tusk Wrasse
Tiny Foxface
small juv Emperor Angel
Bellus Angel
Cleaner Wrasse

Im either going to use Copper Power or Chloroquine phosphate (CP). With the reading that I have been doing some of my fish might might not be able to handle CP, then do a 2 treatments of prazipro. My QT is set up at home and my DT is at my office. They say that the 2 tanks should be a min of 10 feet away from each other and thats not going to happen in my office. QTing at home there is 100% I wont cross contaminate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back