Real Reef Rock vs CaribSea's Life Rock

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be building my first aquascape for my Reefer 625 and I know I like the purple rock look already, but not sure which rocks to use. Is there a preference of Real Reef Rock vs. CaribSea's Life Rock and why?

Thanks!

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real reef rock is dearer than the life rock. I just ordered 50lbs of life rock for my new tank. In respect to colour, it will be covered in purple coraline eventually, so starting colour/appearance makes little difference in the long term.

OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real reef rock is dearer than the life rock. I just ordered 50lbs of life rock for my new tank. In respect to colour, it will be covered in purple coraline eventually, so starting colour/appearance makes little difference in the long term.
What do you mean dearer?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat(setting up a new tank). And have about the same question. I have read that the CaribSea live rock looses it's color pretty quick and falls apart after a year or so. Going to start a thread to see who has had it long term and how they like it.

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the real reef rock on my tanks. When I have added rock down the line I use the caribsea because the bright white real reef stuff will stick out like a sore thumb. I don't think either of they have any particular advantages of another other than color, but it all looks the same after 8 months anyway. Plus you can form reef rock easily without worrying about screwing up the paint

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back