reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there was any Salinity testing equipment that actively reads Salinity in real-time, I use the Hanna Salinity Checker which I really enjoy but sometimes I get the feeling that it's not as accurate as a Refractometer.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riding along for this... It's one of those things that I have often wondered, but never looked up.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Pinpoint Salinity monitor can be used full time. I had one that lasted at least 15 years for me. I didn't use it full time in line but would use it as a check and balance for my refractometer.

I liked that it was portable and not rigidly set into one system. This allowed me to check mixed saltwater as well as multiple tanks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there was any Salinity testing equipment that actively reads Salinity in real-time, I use the Hanna Salinity Checker which I really enjoy but sometimes I get the feeling that it's not as accurate as a Refractometer.
Most aquarium controllers have salinity monitoring.

I use a GHL Profilux, another is the Neptune Apex, and Reeffactory have one too.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's even chinese salinity and ph controllers, good price, but newer seen one in action....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real time salinity monitors are conductivity meters. Same thing as a TDS meter, but designed for the right range for full strength seawater.

Whether any particular hobby brand implements it optimally or not, conductivity meters are the go to way for chemical oceanographers to measure salinity. It can be fast, highly accurate and highly precise.

That said, despite having some very good conductivity meters, I never wanted to leave the probe in the water 24/7 due to potential issues like fouling with organisms/precipitates/bubbles.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Reef Factory have an active salinity monitor but it's price is getting bumped up. Still worth it.
|
1674877175574.png

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the conductivity monitors quite helpful, but, not reliable enough to use as control points. Like Randy said, they to get fouled with bubbles and debris from time to time, so I cross check with my refractometer frequently.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back