Real world review of Aqumax skimmers

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have done some research and read a lot of reviews on the Aquamax ws1 and hob skimmers and am leaning toward buying one. Can I get some feedback from real world R2R reefers on this product? How it skims, maintenance, ease of cleaning, etc. Thank you for any insight.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 mixed reef and almost bought that but went with the macro aqua m50 instead. It works GREAT! I’ve been using for about 8 months now and it pulls out all kinds of funk, has a very small footprint, and was way cheaper than the options available. I bought it on amazon for like $60

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running a sump though why not go with an in sump model of skimmer?
Does the aqua m have a needle wheel pump?
I have a cpr backpac on the sump that sits to the side and out of the way of the refugium area. I am debating between the in sump and hob. I like having the extra footprint in the fuge because I plan to change the light to a small reef light to keep my frag rack down there.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running a sump though why not go with an in sump model of skimmer?
How is the sump configured (no. Of baffles, water level, chamber length/width)? Those will be determining factors as to what you can even fit, then work through models in that size range.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 for about two years now. It has worked well and never gave me a problem. I would recommend it

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just a filter sock holder into the fuge area, water hieght about half an inch below the black rim so that my current hob skimmer works. A bubble trap into the return chamber. Very simple. Both of those models will fit, just looking for reviews on them

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the aqua m have a needle wheel pump?
I have a cpr backpac on the sump that sits to the side and out of the way of the refugium area. I am debating between the in sump and hob. I like having the extra footprint in the fuge because I plan to change the light to a small reef light to keep my frag rack down there.
Yeah it’s a needle wheel pump. If you want to maximize room in the sump the hang on option is definitely going to provide the most space in there. Sorry I just have blues on in the cycle now, but it only takes up about 4”.
image.jpg

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a needle wheel pump. If you want to maximize room in the sump the hang on option is definitely going to provide the most space in there. Sorry I just have blues on in the cycle now, but it only takes up about 4”.
image.jpg
Thank you for the measurement! I am going to have to put that on the short list of skimmer options

neoender25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I am ocd when it comes to cleaning equipment. Does it come apart enough to really deep clean?

I have the WS1 on my 29 gallon with 10 gallon sump. I did a deep clean after 3 months and cleaned out some salt buildup in the air intake line when I noticed performance was decreasing. Everything breaks down to individual parts very easily. There is just one screw that holds the needle wheel right on top of the pump, and that whole part can be pulled out of the body then disassembled .

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB 1.5 is my go to hang on these days. Quality construction,Great pump, easy to clean.

Ran one on my 20 and 30 nanos for a couple years, no issues.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the WS1 on my 29 gallon with 10 gallon sump. I did a deep clean after 3 months and cleaned out some salt buildup in the air intake line when I noticed performance was decreasing. Everything breaks down to individual parts very easily. There is just one screw that holds the needle wheel right on top of the pump, and that whole part can be pulled out of the body then disassembled .
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I am thinking the ws1 might be the one

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned 2 of the WS1. They are fantastic skimmers, should skim right out of the box. I recently purchased the Aquamaxx-cones-co-1-in-sump-protein-skimmer and it too is skimming well.
Cheers

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned 2 of the WS1. They are fantastic skimmers, should skim right out of the box. I recently purchased the Aquamaxx-cones-co-1-in-sump-protein-skimmer and it too is skimming well.
Cheers
Great! Thank you for your feedback. Most of the online reviews are very good. I just am not so sure about online reviews once I learned that a lot of companies filter the poor ones out. Seems that people who own them like them.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old aquamaxx I’ve been running probably 6 years, it’s a hob and it works fine. I actually have it sitting in my sump vs being hung on the back. It’s always worked decent so I never bothered to upgrade. Easy enough to disassemble for cleaning, I clean it about every 3-6 months. I use a kitchen sponge to wipe down the “neck” area every few days when I clean the cup. It’s nice and quiet too.

I’ve been looking at the fc-80 lately thinking about an upgrade.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thank you for your feedback. Most of the online reviews are very good. I just am not so sure about online reviews once I learned that a lot of companies filter the poor ones out. Seems that people who own them like them.

If you want more info, keep in mind that JNS skimmers ws1 is also identical, I believe the Japanese version. Same model and manufacturer. Maybe more google reviews or info under JNS WS-1, just a thought. Uses sicce pump, one of the best needle wheel skimmer pumps made, in the affordable range :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back