Really Basic Question - Feeding Flakes

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a blend of store bought live clams, mussels, and oysters......in a blender, the freeze into blocks. I also buy live clams every week and feed them freshly chopped up daily. I do throw in a pinch of flakes and pellets on occasion, it’s like potato chips or fruity pebbles IMO. But hey, we all like junk food on occasion!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article. Dr. Ronald L. Shimek started in the hobby the same year as I did, 1971 and we are the same age, both Geezers. But I disagree with him on his choices of food as I have disagreed with him on some other things.

The man is very smart and has more degrees than a thermometer but he doesn't take into account, in that article the living bacteria that IMO is needed in food to keep a fishes immunity intact.
While dry foods contain more vitamins, minerals and proteins than some fresh or frozen foods they are baked man made products with no living bacteria. They also have preservatives.

But that's just my opinion. :cool:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article. Dr. Ronald L. Shimek started in the hobby the same year as I did, 1971 and we are the same age, both Geezers. But I disagree with him on his choices of food as I have disagreed with him on some other things.

You disagree with the data the food manufactures supply? Data is data, even though this data is old.

The man is very smart and has more degrees than a thermometer but he doesn't take into account, in that article the living bacteria that IMO is needed in food to keep a fishes immunity intact.
While dry foods contain more vitamins, minerals and proteins than some fresh or frozen foods they are baked man made products with no living bacteria. They also have preservatives.

But that's just my opinion. :cool:

He likely didn't take it into account because it is opinion.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a VERY wide variety of food to my tank. And there is usually some flakes and pellets in the mix. Some days I just feed flakes and pellets and the fish go after it just as aggressively as they do any other food. If they didn't like it, I wouldn't feed it to them. As to whether it's good for them...

I still don know if I should be eating bacon, broccoli or both! And you think we know which is better for our fish. Hah!

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cover all the bases, and always have two to three live foods on hand, a few different dry foods and several frozen options.

I currently feed NLS Marine or TDS Chromaboost pellets in the morning and live food in the evening. I then randomly mix in some quality frozen foods and other dry foods when I have time.

My only steadfast rule is something live every day, but I don’t solely rely on any one thing...

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the flakes and very gently walk over to your garbage can and throw it in.
Then go and get some frozen food, maybe LRS food or something like that.

Flakes IMO are not fit for any animal to eat. :cool:
Savage straight savage now he will throw away his tank hahahaha.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You disagree with the data the food manufactures supply? Data is data, even though this data is old.

No, Of course I don't disagree with the data. That is just as you said, Data.
I said, "IMO" I disagree with his choices of good food.

Especially this statement:

"The caveats having been said, the nutritional requirements of aquarium organisms in a general way appear much the same as for other animals. They need five basic types of nutrients: carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, minerals and trace materials."

IMO, those things are important but he left out living bacteria for the immune system.
That is a big problem with scientific research. Virtually all of this work is done in a lab and the studies only last until the funding runs out so there are no long term studies. IMO of course. :cool:

Any animal can live on carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, minerals and trace materials, but not for long.
As aquarists we also need to know what will not only keep fish alive, but also what will keep them alive in the long term and you need living bacteria for that. "IMO"

Dr Shimek is a very smart and respected man and I agree with a lot of what he does but this one thing that I am pointing out I have a small problem with. Which because it is only my opinion, And I have been doing this as long as he is, I am allowed to do. :D

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, those things are important but he left out living bacteria for the immune system.

Of course - at the time, there was no compelling evidence to speak of to support your idea. I still have not seen compelling evidence to support it. It is a tidy idea, but it doesn't seem to pan out. I think you have converted correlation to causation on this one. :cool:

That is a big problem with scientific research. Virtually all of this work is done in a lab and the studies only last until the funding runs out so there are no long term studies. IMO of course. :cool:

But, there are long term studies. Lots of them. That is fact, we don't need opinions on that. If someone has compelling evidence for a long term study, they can get that funded. :D

Any animal can live on carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, minerals and trace materials, but not for long.
As aquarists we also need to know what will not only keep fish alive, but also what will keep them alive in the long term and you need living bacteria for that. "IMO"

But you consistently haven't taken into account counter examples, so I think your opinion is cherry picked, which makes it less potent.

Dr Shimek is a very smart and respected man and I agree with a lot of what he does but this one thing that I am pointing out I have a small problem with. Which because it is only my opinion, And I have been doing this as long as he is, I am allowed to do. :D

Of course you are allowed to your opinion! And, that is regardless of how long you or anyone else has been doing this! Just as other are allowed to point out problems with the reasoning used to support those opinions. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katrina, "IMO" I believe many tanks are lacking in not only pods but all forms of flora and fauna life.
Even if we don't see it in our tanks, fish are constantly picking at and eating living things in the sand or gravel. They do that constantly as they do in the sea. Hermit crabs constantly stir up the top surface of the substrate sifting out tiny organisms and bits of algae. Tanks that are to clean, "IMO" are not as healthy. :D

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks that are too clean, "IMO" are not as healthy. :D

I guess we need a definition of "too clean"? Because there are sure a lot of very clean tanks with lots of good healthy growth going on.

As an aside, I don't think most people want a tank that is an exact replica of the ocean or even a real reef. Just one that can house and maintain the life that we want and make it 'natural' enough that those lives stay healthy and growing.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we need a definition of "too clean"?

Ron, it seems we need a definition of just about everything. :)

To me, and just "IMO" a tank that is "to clean" is something where the substrate and rocks are somewhat baron of life giving the inhabitants of that tank little to find while searching.

New tanks fall into that catagory and are never very healthy. "IMO" of course. :cool:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back