Reasons for certain polyps of a Zoa frag no longer opening?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gotten 2 Zoas frags semi-recently. In the past 2 months (one a bit more recently). 5 Smallish polyps of Gold Dust Zoas (just basic gold and brownish). And some Mandarin Orange (about 7-8 polyps). I dipped them. They opened up quickly and looked good. My Red/Orange Oxides (not sure what they are) I've had for about 3 months have been doing really well, and have grown! Also my Gobstoppers that I saved from melting away have been recovering amazingly, and are gaining better coloration.
So why do certain Zoas just start closing? I've dipped them again, and have brushed them very softly/blasted them with turkey baster occasionally to help with debris accumulating.
I glued them higher on my rockwork, and they should have decent flow up there.
I have the Fluval Marine 3.0 lighting so it's good enough, but it shouldn't melt my corals or anything with power.
Only certain polyps open up on some of each frag. Some are shut tight. Some open fully, and some barely peak out, and over time it looks like it is staying the same, and no changes are really happening.
Should I put them lower down? They started closing when lower, and I thought more lighting and flow would help, but I am not seeing much change.
Should I just wait? And if they do not get better then should I do some sort of Peroxide or Medication dip?
(I can send pictures when I get home of the Zoas).

My element parameters (Ca, Mag, and Alk) were all a bit lower due to several small mistakes, and them dropping slowly over time.
This could have contributed to the issue, but I have gotten them back into a better place, and nothing has really changed.

My phosphate is around 0.05-0.09 ish (I like to keep it below 0.1)
Nitrates (I only have API test kit), but they should be around 5-10.
Salinity 1.0265 (I have been VERY slowly getting it down from 1.027)

I dose Iodide every other day
(slightly below recommended amount)

Sorry for the abundance of info. but I am just confused why some of the polyps are not looking better.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are they not looking good? I often see a few polyps close for several days of even a week or more. If you're seeing new polyps budding I wouldn't worry about ti too much.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gotten 2 Zoas frags semi-recently. In the past 2 months (one a bit more recently). 5 Smallish polyps of Gold Dust Zoas (just basic gold and brownish). And some Mandarin Orange (about 7-8 polyps). I dipped them. They opened up quickly and looked good. My Red/Orange Oxides (not sure what they are) I've had for about 3 months have been doing really well, and have grown! Also my Gobstoppers that I saved from melting away have been recovering amazingly, and are gaining better coloration.
So why do certain Zoas just start closing? I've dipped them again, and have brushed them very softly/blasted them with turkey baster occasionally to help with debris accumulating.
I glued them higher on my rockwork, and they should have decent flow up there.
I have the Fluval Marine 3.0 lighting so it's good enough, but it shouldn't melt my corals or anything with power.
Only certain polyps open up on some of each frag. Some are shut tight. Some open fully, and some barely peak out, and over time it looks like it is staying the same, and no changes are really happening.
Should I put them lower down? They started closing when lower, and I thought more lighting and flow would help, but I am not seeing much change.
Should I just wait? And if they do not get better then should I do some sort of Peroxide or Medication dip?
(I can send pictures when I get home of the Zoas).

My element parameters (Ca, Mag, and Alk) were all a bit lower due to several small mistakes, and them dropping slowly over time.
This could have contributed to the issue, but I have gotten them back into a better place, and nothing has really changed.

My phosphate is around 0.05-0.09 ish (I like to keep it below 0.1)
Nitrates (I only have API test kit), but they should be around 5-10.
Salinity 1.0265 (I have been VERY slowly getting it down from 1.027)

I dose Iodide every other day
(slightly below recommended amount)

Sorry for the abundance of info. but I am just confused why some of the polyps are not looking better.
First stop messing with them. My Zoa ger covered in sand all the time. No big deal. It takes them a while after you turkey baste them to calm down enough to open again. The dip also stresses them out.

second, zoa share nutrients. I have a huge colony of fruit loops that half are open during the day and the other half only at night. As long as they are connected by tissue the zoa that are open will feed the ones that are closed.

If you send pics I can comment on needing a peroxide or other kind of dip but if they aren’t melting zoa are generally ok. My white zombies stayed closed for like three straight months and they’re fine.

Attachments

• FCE8E96C-B5D6-4F8F-8C27-470BEA5B03C3.jpeg
    FCE8E96C-B5D6-4F8F-8C27-470BEA5B03C3.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so these are the 2 frags. Not all the polyps are connected I think. Especially on the gold dust ones above. The orange mandarins have a couple that consistently open up a small amount, but never fully. However, they have several polyps that just seem super closed shut. And it’s hard to tell but one or look slightly shiny on some areas. But I don’t think there’s Zoa pox or anything, and i haven’t been bothering them because they’re both glued down. And I haven’t used the pipette to clear possible debris buildup in a couple days.
E0FD2484-37CB-4B4C-B2E7-AB3E653B5F51.jpeg

0B91C38B-3A0B-4611-B5FD-2854DE415862.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back