Reasons not to go for a Pistol Shrimp?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Stonogobiops yasha and have been debating on getting a shrimp to pair with him as he’s now hitting 2 years with me. I’m trying to go for an Indonesian only tank and goby dominant. I’d love to hear your reasons not to go with a pistol shrimp, I’ve heard a lot of why to get them but not many reasons not to get one. It will go into my Red Sea Max Nano. I plan for a clam in the future (Once everything is stable again).
I plan for a lot of the smaller (1” or less) gobies such as one or two from the Bryaninops genus.

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to have corals on the sand bed? I’ve actually lost a couple frags due to my pistol shrimp because they are always digging and rearrange the tank thus burying my frags. Mine was relentless. I almost lost a brain coral because my pistol shrimp pushed my lobo 5 inches away into it and it stung the brain really bad while I was gone all day for work. But other than that, they have a great personality

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to have corals on the sand bed? I’ve actually lost a couple frags due to my pistol shrimp because they are always digging and rearrange the tank thus burying my frags. Mine was relentless. I almost lost a brain coral because my pistol shrimp pushed my lobo 5 inches away into it and it stung the brain really bad while I was gone all day for work. But other than that, they have a great personality
I probably won’t have coral on the sand bed but I may have a rubble pile on it growing SPS.

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my room and man was that a mistake. Hearing what sounded like a someone hitting glass with a hammer every minute or so, due to the little bugger hunting my inverts. If you're alright with a extremely loud pop at night every couple of minutes (when they are active) then by all means. I loved seeing the little fella, but my goodness never in my room lol

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the positive press outweighs the negative I’d say that’s a good thing and just add it. It’s natural fits the reef goal and is an amazing relationship to introduce and foster. Good luck.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's simply no reason not to!

I don't have experience with tigers, but I do have a teeny tiny adorable candycane pistol shrimp. It doesn't steal corals on the sand bed, which could be because he never goes on a stroll. The farthest he's walked from the burrow was about 4''. Sprinkle a variety of small rocks around the burrow and it'll be a happy shrimp.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine reworks the entire tank. Anything on the sand is getting moved,tipped and rearranged. I'm doing a tank swap this weekend and he is getting a new home during the move. He is a tiger pistol so he is bigger then a candy

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Randall's pistol shrimp in my 15g WB zoa garden and I think they are great. They do pop from time to time, but they also keep the top layer of that gravel nice and white. Quite the characters.

I do have a few corals on the sand, with the understanding that they may be sacrificed to the shrimp gods. A couple of mushrooms and a sympodium.

These tiny shrimp can easily move the sand into a huge pile, so you will have less control.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may go for an Alpheus Randalli then (I assume they’re native to Indonesia?)
From what I can tell, yes (though if someone knows otherwise they can correct me). They are native to the “Indo-West Pacific” and at least one site (Reef2Rainforest) seems to have a photo from Bali, Indonesia of a goby-shrimp pair with one.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may go for an Alpheus Randalli then (I assume they’re native to Indonesia?)
Definitely go randalli! They stay a little smaller than your yasha. Will look better visually imo. Look how cute he is!
20220129_165659.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back