Rebuilding FOWLR question(s)

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster…. Been Googling for a few days but couldn’t find any answers to my question. I have an established 17 year old 70 gallon FOWLR tank that used to house triggers, lion fishes, tangs, dwarf angels. No, not all at once, but over the course of those 17 years. 2 weeks ago I decided to trade my Hummu hummu trigger, 2 damsels and maroon clown (all have been in the tank over 5 years) in because my wife decided that she wanted a community tank. Question is , how soon and how many fishes can I add at the same time? I did 2 large water changes in those 2 weeks (50% each). Water parameters are good with the exception of nitrates (80 ppm) I’m assuming due to the carnivorous fishes I just traded in. Any info/suggestions/advice are much appreciated.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is established but currently fallow?

How long has the tank been fishless? 2 weeks? Is there any other ammonia source currently feeding the bacteria population?

Although you shouldn't lose cycle in 2 weeks, you may want to dose bottled bac (microbacter 7) and ammonia, lightly at least weekly until you get a few fish back in there.

If you can provide a list of the fish you want to add, I'm sure we could give you a better answer to the stocking timing.

OP
OP
V

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is established but currently fallow?

How long has the tank been fishless? 2 weeks? Is there any other ammonia source currently feeding the bacteria population?

Although you shouldn't lose cycle in 2 weeks, you may want to dose bottled bac (microbacter 7) and ammonia, lightly at least weekly until you get a few fish back in there.

If you can provide a list of the fish you want to add, I'm sure we could give you a better answer to the stocking timing.
Thanks for the quick reply. The tank has been fishless for 2 weeks. I have about 80lbs of LR and sand about 2" deep, all have been in the tank for all of the 17 years. No sump but have 2 HOB skimmers, Aquamaxx 1.5 and an Aqua C Remora. I want to get 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Banggai Cardinal, 1 Diamond Sand Sifting Goby, a Coral Beauty and a Raccoon Butterfly. Is that too many for a 70 gallon fowlr? If not too many, any suggestions on what order should I get them, how soon and how often? Thanks.

OP
OP
V

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. The tank has been fishless for 2 weeks. I have about 80lbs of LR and sand about 2" deep, all have been in the tank for all of the 17 years. No sump but have 2 HOB skimmers, Aquamaxx 1.5 and an Aqua C Remora. I want to get 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Banggai Cardinal, 1 Diamond Sand Sifting Goby, a Coral Beauty and a Raccoon Butterfly. Is that too many for a 70 gallon fowlr? If not too many, any suggestions on what order should I get them, how soon and how often? Thanks.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably add the clowns, Gramma and Cardinal in one go. Followed by the Coral beauty with the butterfly a few weeks later - Then finally the goby about a week later.

A Valentini puffer or flamehawk would be a nice additional with those fish well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back