Received BRS 7-Stage RODI but it doesn't fit in my faucet

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I just need some help getting pointed in the right direction in terms of hardware. I don't know anything about plumbing so bear with me.

I received my BRS 7-Stage RODI Plus unit today, and when I went to hook it up to my sink faucet in my extra bathroom I realized that they didn't include any adapters with the threading on the inside. I noticed my faucet nozzle has its screw threading on the inside instead of outside. I know the RODI valve director thing has its threading on the inside as well but I couldn't get it to screw in either. I tried the adapters but I soon realized that the threading on them was on the outside so it wouldn't work with my faucet.

I went to Home Depot and didn't really get any solid help. The help I got was from people not familiar with plumbing either.

Sorry if this is confusing I don't know what male and female connectors mean but hopefully the way I described it kind of paints a rough picture.

Thank you!

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your faucet.
Also.... male/ female can relate to biology. Male has threads on the outer diameter and fit inside the female threads, which are cut in the inner diameter. Like a bolt and nut. Nut is female, bolt is male. The other thing to look at is thread pitch, or how close the threads are together (course vs fine)

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post pictures of the parts at issue just so we can be sure, but this doesn’t sound like something a trip to the hardware store couldn’t fix.

personally I hooked mine into the water line under the sink instead of the faucet, so I can still use the sink without hooking the whole thing up again. Took maybe $10 worth of parts from Home Depot, if that is an option

Attachments

• 950C79CC-BB42-4809-9993-5257A23A93C4.jpeg
    950C79CC-BB42-4809-9993-5257A23A93C4.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 99

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post pictures of the parts at issue just so we can be sure, but this doesn’t sound like something a trip to the hardware store couldn’t fix.

personally I hooked mine into the water line under the sink instead of the faucet, so I can still use the sink without hooking the whole thing up again. Took maybe $10 worth of parts from Home Depot, if that is an option
Definitely the way to go. I wall mounted mine next to the water heater and plumbed it off the cold water supply. Op, it looks like they include adaptors to do it either way
Screenshot_20211201-214754_Chrome.jpg

The middle one for faucet and the bottom silver one for inline under the sink.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these need to be mounted outside or in a basement where water can hit the floor. over the decades they are messy, and I would never install one in a cabinet, unless forced to

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an odd one, that is for sure. Open the cabinet and take a pic of the valve for cold water going to the sink. Should be the one on the left, but if you run hot water for a bit and feel them, the hot one will be warm.

If you mount the inline valve they sent right after the sink shut-off you can leave it mounted all the time and just turn it off when you arent using it. Then you dont have to take the faucet apart every time you want to make water, and it may be easier to find the right fitting for it.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an odd one, that is for sure. Open the cabinet and take a pic of the valve for cold water going to the sink. Should be the one on the left, but if you run hot water for a bit and feel them, the hot one will be warm.

If you mount the inline valve they sent right after the sink shut-off you can leave it mounted all the time and just turn it off when you arent using it. Then you dont have to take the faucet apart every time you want to make water, and it may be easier to find the right fitting for it.
Just checked and got that figured out.

Yeah I think tomorrow most likely the first thing I start doing is setting it up under my sink and connecting it straight to the cold water line and using the drain saddle for the waste water.

Thanks for the help!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked and got that figured out.

Yeah I think tomorrow most likely the first thing I start doing is setting it up under my sink and connecting it straight to the cold water line and using the drain saddle for the waste water.

Thanks for the help!
That is a much better installation anyway to keep the tubing out of sight. It's incredibly important to make sure you hook it up to the cold water side. I can't stress that enough.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB289641-25AC-4023-BF87-3D6734532250.jpeg
Here's some pics of everything. I tried getting a good shot of the faucet but it was a little tough

CDF310E3-C2FF-4E1C-99A3-0D2D7D17C1BD.jpeg 3BD4E629-DB27-4B90-BF4E-1573709A0003.jpeg EC9B86C3-CD3D-4422-92F0-F6D153A63EDD.jpeg 63AAB099-4205-4B78-86AD-801E8F3DB122.jpeg 2FE68DEF-756F-4BC1-A823-C43F26718F67.jpeg 395BC8D5-6DB5-4642-A518-CCD629878CE6.jpeg 80C5D5BE-BB6E-46AA-AC0C-E4C778364373.jpeg D19E6722-43F1-43F6-97A1-81858F9E76A6.jpeg D4B19F8E-53A3-4715-B00E-382266A0D388.jpeg
97048CB2-1C0F-4EE7-8F24-E70FEB55C121.jpeg

EE5D2C81-97F1-4FD7-9FC5-5B455604D2B7.jpeg
You’re not going to be able to use that faucet. Like most everyone has said you’re much better off A. Installing this in a location where it’s permanent & can get wet ie: Basement, Wash Room, Garage etc. B. Tapping directly into a water line/source or hose spiget with the supplied parts. C. If you want help from a plumbing PRO in person, go find a Ace Hardware or True Value….HD is tough sometimes. My local ACE nails it every time when I’m stumped… or YouTube lol. The above help & advice is solid as well.
Good luck!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some videos on the internet that go into pretty good detail on the difference between male and female and the interaction between the two.

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is a link to a video where it shows the difference.

The example in the video isn't the type of fittings you would use so ignore the quick disconnect part but it does show the male vs female difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some videos on the internet that go into pretty good detail on the difference between male and female and the interaction between the two.

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is a link to a video where it shows the difference.

The example in the video isn't the type of fittings you would use so ignore the quick disconnect part but it does show the male vs female difference.

Thank you for the video.

Honestly I feel kind of dumb for not using a little common sense to figure this out lol

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not going to be able to use that faucet. Like most everyone has said you’re much better off A. Installing this in a location where it’s permanent & can get wet ie: Basement, Wash Room, Garage etc. B. Tapping directly into a water line/source or hose spiget with the supplied parts. C. If you want help from a plumbing PRO in person, go find a Ace Hardware or True Value….HD is tough sometimes. My local ACE nails it every time when I’m stumped… or YouTube lol. The above help & advice is solid as well.
Good luck!
The only real place I can put it in is in my bathroom unfortunately. I don't have a garage (converted it to a guest house) or a basement (I live in California), and the laundry room I have gets hit with sunlight throughout the day and gets pretty hot with the machines running (almost everyday).

My bathroom seems like the best bet because it's located in the same room as my tank and I'm able to keep an eye on the unit while it runs. I'm getting a concerned about it possibly leaking though.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real place I can put it in is in my bathroom unfortunately. I don't have a garage (converted it to a guest house) or a basement (I live in California), and the laundry room I have gets hit with sunlight throughout the day and gets pretty hot with the machines running (almost everyday).

My bathroom seems like the best bet because it's located in the same room as my tank and I'm able to keep an eye on the unit while it runs. I'm getting a concerned about it possibly leaking though.
When you say the same room as your tank do you mean a water storage tank or your aquarium. I'm just wondering if you have an aquarium in your bathroom?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good... As long as there are no leaks you will be fine. Biggest concern is overflowing the collection container. I have done that a couple times and believe me, it is NO fun at all.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good... As long as there are no leaks you will be fine. Biggest concern is overflowing the collection container. I have done that a couple times and believe me, it is NO fun at all.
Yeah that's definitely a concern of mine. I'm kind of forgetful but luckily the unit is in viewing distance from the area I spend the majority of my time.

I'm still gonna install that float valve though lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back