Received BRS 7-Stage RODI but it doesn't fit in my faucet

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only real place I can put it in is in my bathroom unfortunately. I don't have a garage (converted it to a guest house) or a basement (I live in California), and the laundry room I have gets hit with sunlight throughout the day and gets pretty hot with the machines running (almost everyday).

My bathroom seems like the best bet because it's located in the same room as my tank and I'm able to keep an eye on the unit while it runs. I'm getting a concerned about it possibly leaking though.

I have my RODI in my bathroom and it is ideal. I use 5gal buckets for my water and put them in the bath while I am filling them up. It is a perfect drip-tray for when I forget to turn it off (which I have done a couple of times!).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are planning on moving the filters I would personally cut off the extra tubing instead of leaving it coiled up, but otherwise looks good.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still gonna install that float valve though lol
If you do install a float valve on whatever container your permeate water is going into, you should install an auto shutoff valve as well so that you don't forget about it and dump a lot of water down the waste.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are planning on moving the filters I would personally cut off the extra tubing instead of leaving it coiled up, but otherwise looks good.
Yeah I'm gonna shorten them tomorrow I just left it like that to make sure the system actually functions.

My psi is pretty low it hovers between 45-50psi. Luckily I ordered a booster thinking ahead and it's coming tomorrow. Gonna shorten the tubing when I do the booster install.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do install a float valve on whatever container your permeate water is going into, you should install an auto shutoff valve as well so that you don't forget about it and dump a lot of water down the waste.
I didn't think about that.

I'll look into ordering one tonight. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quick question about the booster pump actually. I have that shut-off valve hooked up to turn off the water when I'm not using it. Do I mount the booster before the switch or after? Does it matter?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cut off all the extra. When you have to change filters you can pull it and set it in the sink so no water woes.

That is good advice. There is no harm in having the extra hose. Any time you can make maintenance easier, go with it. It is simple human nature that the harder something is to do, the less you are going to want to do it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on that same concept... replace the zip-ties holding the coils with velcro. Much easier to simply pull open than cut the zips and redo them.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I got from BRS chat. Hopefully it's correct.

(08:30:08)xyz : Install the pressure switch on the product water (Blue Line) coming out of your RODI systems membrane. The pressure switch should be connected after the auto shut off valve. Connect your water source to the inlet of the booster pump.
(08:30:45)xyz : install the switch on the blue water coming out of the membrane, put the booster pump on your source water connection(which is before the prefilter)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quick question about the booster pump actually. I have that shut-off valve hooked up to turn off the water when I'm not using it. Do I mount the booster before the switch or after? Does it matter?
Mine is after the valve although I'm not sure that it matters.
It's also common (and probably best) to place it after the pre filters but before the membrane so the water going through the pump has already had the sediment filtered out.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, more pics please! My next project.z
Tanks!
Sure. Here's some more of my setup. It's extremely basic to make things easier for myself in the long run incase I need to move it. Right now I'm just filling up my old RODI water container to rinse it off the old water

043CC85E-9A16-40D6-A2ED-9CF5CC896E86.jpeg

6183C27F-E298-466F-B5FC-7381969F6F13.jpeg
895E4363-80CB-4B09-8540-77367156072D.jpeg

My pressure is not high enough as you can see hence the booster pump

CAE8122F-5253-40EC-B48F-28D7F3B0E47C.jpeg

TDS Meter Readings:

Line 1
20E265F7-F83C-425F-96CB-F7B661A454F6.jpeg

Line 2
FAE64E0E-CF55-40BC-9AFE-7D2C92FD4B9D.jpeg

Line 3
ADF4EF63-603C-4DB9-ACD6-80682ED74CA8.jpeg
6252273F-24AB-4E4E-8716-517346B52D40.jpeg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good... As long as there are no leaks you will be fine. Biggest concern is overflowing the collection container. I have done that a couple times and believe me, it is NO fun at all.
Yeah that's definitely a concern of mine. I'm kind of forgetful but luckily the unit is in viewing distance from the area I spend the majority of my time.

I'm still gonna install that float valve though lol
Lol, I've done this so many times that I can't even remember. I would fill 5 gallon hedpak containers and set a timer for an hour and 30 minutes (about how long it gets to 80-90% full). Eventually my gf told me to just start filling them in the shower. Now if I have a spill it goes directly into the drain. I've depleted our entire towel supply a couple of times...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I've done this so many times that I can't even remember. I would fill 5 gallon hedpak containers and set a timer for an hour and 30 minutes (about how long it gets to 80-90% full). Eventually my gf told me to just start filling them in the shower. Now if I have a spill it goes directly into the drain. I've depleted our entire towel supply a couple of times...

Couple months ago, I decided I wanted to test my TDS. Set up a cup in a bucket so I could collect enough water to test the actual output from my system. Dutifully set a timer to remind me to check it and replace the output hose into the collection can. Timer went off and I stopped it saying "I will go check that as soon as I finish here" I forgot all about it... left it the rest of the afternoon and ALL night... after all it's in an almost empty 32 gallon can... no worries, right?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 20 years ago when I was renting an apartment I had my rodi sitting in the hallway beside the bathroom filling up a 5 gallon bucket. I left the apartment to go out and completely forgot about the filter. I realized what I did and called the landlord and they went and shut the water off to it before too much water got on the floor. They were not happy with me.
I will never have one again where it doesn't automatically show off.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that I also ordered a 30 gallon open-top polyethylene water storage container for the RODI water and a 30 gallon open-top batch mixing container to mix the saltwater in. Like I said I don't know much about plumbing so I'm trying to figure out a way to transfer the RODI water to the salt water container for mixing. Right now my only solution is to use a water pump to just pump it from one container to the other.

If anyone has any better ideas let me know!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple months ago, I decided I wanted to test my TDS. Set up a cup in a bucket so I could collect enough water to test the actual output from my system. Dutifully set a timer to remind me to check it and replace the output hose into the collection can. Timer went off and I stopped it saying "I will go check that as soon as I finish here" I forgot all about it... left it the rest of the afternoon and ALL night... after all it's in an almost empty 32 gallon can... no worries, right?
I have definitely turned off my timer thinking I will go and turn off the water in the next 5/10 minutes. Then an hour later, I remember I never turned it off

I haven't had a spill that large.... since I am on nanos and all I use is 5 gallons. Something to look forward to on the big build! lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back