Received Yellow Tang with black snail like objects attached to him

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Yellow Tang from an online vendor yesterday and these were attached to him and in the bag. ID on what they are? He's in QT now so no risk of them getting into the DT, but I haven't seen these before, especially attached to a fish!

20200926_100755.jpg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to the seller and he said this Tang had been in a frag tank with inverts so most likely these are baby snails, although I've never seen snails attach to a fish!
Back when I had freshwater tanks, I had an explosion of snails and they attached to the fish and ate them alive.

im assuming you pulled them off the fish. If so, did they look like snails? And did the fish have any wounds where they were?

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I had freshwater tanks, I had an explosion of snails and they attached to the fish and ate them alive.

im assuming you pulled them off the fish. If so, did they look like snails? And did the fish have any wounds where they were?
Once I put the Tang into the QT tank the remaining snails fell off, I cannot see any physical damage to the fish.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I put the Tang into the QT tank the remaining snails fell off, I cannot see any physical damage to the fish.

so definitely not growths on the fish. Strange. I suspect fish almost always come in with things on them that fall off, just most aren’t visible.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No signs of physical harm, but only time will tell I guess...you can actually see the dead snail on the glass bottom beside him...

20200926_091558.jpg

do you think it died when it went into The tank? If so, that seems a little odd. Hoping someone else will come along and know what it is.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think it died when it went into The tank? If so, that seems a little odd. Hoping someone else will come along and know what it is.
Yea, it was attached to him before going into the tank and I didn't notice until he was in QT. Within a couple hours it fell off. I had pre-dosed 1ppm Cu and Metro into the QT, so that combo probably did him in.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it was attached to him before going into the tank and I didn't notice until he was in QT. Within a couple hours it fell off. I had pre-dosed 1ppm Cu and Metro into the QT, so that combo probably did him in.

Hopefully it was just catching a free ride then. I wonderhow many inverts were in the tank it came from.

giphy.gif

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen that in 50+ years. Native freshwater fish become parasitized by larval clams, and I once found a tiny sea anemone hanging onto the skin of a flashlight fish, but never snails. There aren't any fish parasites that could even be mistaken for snails, so I'd just call it a fluke (no pun intended).

Jay

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen that in 50+ years. Native freshwater fish become parasitized by larval clams, and I once found a tiny sea anemone hanging onto the skin of a flashlight fish, but never snails. There aren't any fish parasites that could even be mistaken for snails, so I'd just call it a fluke (no pun intended).

Jay
Do flukes have hard shells? These definitely were organisms that were in a hard shell.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do flukes have hard shells? These definitely were organisms that were in a hard shell.

No - I should have said pun intended! A fluke can be a parasite, but it can also be something that happens by accident (grin).

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back