OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned Ricordea florida, but also Ricordea yuma. Rhodactis inchoata, R. sanctithomae, Discosoma neglecta, and D. carlgreni are all some slower growing species, all of them can be quite pretty. I would stay away from R. indosinensis, R. Rhodostoma, D. striata, D. ferrugata, and D. coerulea (basically red, blue, and striped Discosomas and the ‘hairy’ Rhodactis).
Ok lots names for and some to not to.just hope my lfs know the names like this,imo if you selling something then you should know the appropiate name.but if they do or not is different matter.

Thanks for all suggestions and thankyou all for the suggestions,it's much appreciated,I do like the look of florida ricordea and ricordea yuma

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive mushrooms?
That would take years.
whenever a few get to much, I just pop them off and resell.
Get what you like

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok lots names for and some to not to.just hope my lfs know the names like this,imo if you selling something then you should know the appropiate name.but if they do or not is different matter.

Thanks for all suggestions and thankyou all for the suggestions,it's much appreciated,I do like the look of florida ricordea and ricordea yuma
Just look up pictures to get an idea of what the different types look like, maybe save some on your phone to take to the LFS. You can also look into rock flower and maxi mini anemones, they are mushroom like and are not invasive.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is the size of my palm and still has not split once for me. Tempted to get the razor blade.
I have snagged a cpl or a few from 1 or 2 now that have been with me close to 3 yrs and never dropped a baby on there own. Trick is finding a spot that foot may be stretching- enough away from stem to cut cleanly from crease of foot without taking a piece of stem. Some shrooms take forever to grow and reproduce. Especially wild caught.
I do have a cpl gems that I have been able to make reproduce though.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to differentiate foot from stem? i am guessing cutting only the foot and no part of stem guts will be spared?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to differentiate foot from stem? i am guessing cutting only the foot and no part of stem guts will be spared?
At base of stem you should find pieces of foot either separating and growing away from stem or plain out stretching which its already in process of naturally making a new baby. Sometimes you have to manipulate them and make them walk to get more light to get the foot to stretch away from stem. Just have to play with it a little.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive mushrooms?
That would take years.
whenever a few get to much, I just pop them off and resell.
Get what you like
Just going off what others say when say invasive and grow to fast but I would guess takes at least a few weeks for 1 to grow to a size.

What I don't like idea of is if a coral detaches from the rock and lands on another coral and kills it pffft

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look up pictures to get an idea of what the different types look like, maybe save some on your phone to take to the LFS. You can also look into rock flower and maxi mini anemones, they are mushroom like and are not invasive.
That's good idea indeed,thanks

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME Discosoma floats the most and ricordea grows more slowly... They are all easy to knock off flat surfaces and rehome/tape to a frag plug but the ones in crevices can be kalked like aiptasia. I wouldn't panic about mushrooms spreading as it is manageable if you stay on top of it. Most softies are similar and they won't land on top of other corals. If it really is a concern go with ricordea or rhodactis.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME Discosoma floats the most and ricordea grows more slowly... They are all easy to knock off flat surfaces and rehome/tape to a frag plug but the ones in crevices can be kalked like aiptasia. I wouldn't panic about mushrooms spreading as it is manageable if you stay on top of it. Most softies are similar and they won't land on top of other corals. If it really is a concern go with ricordea or rhodactis.
Ok great thanks for reply.
Seems like when I've read invasive it's like gsp is super fast growing and dont add to tank ha ha.but then read others say just keep on own Rock or on back glass and use razor blade to trim occasionally ^_^

Ok thanks all for replys,will start researching today and hopefully pick some up next time go lfs in a week or so,probably after new year now tbh

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going off what others say when say invasive and grow to fast but I would guess takes at least a few weeks for 1 to grow to a size.

What I don't like idea of is if a coral detaches from the rock and lands on another coral and kills it pffft
Weeks?
Try years.
They don’t fall off and attach to other corals.
Get nice ones, let them grow.
Who comes up with this stuff anyways? 831D403E-4719-46DB-845D-4F61D5424F8F.jpeg

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeks?
Try years.
They don’t fall off and attach to other corals.
Get nice ones, let them grow.
Who comes up with this stuff anyways? 831D403E-4719-46DB-845D-4F61D5424F8F.jpeg
Not actually sure as never had any myself.just going by seeing threads and mentioning of " invasive" and wish never added to tank as continually trying their best to remove them and if detach and land on a coral then they often kill it.

So with me reading stuff like this in my head I'm thinking wow add 1 mushroom then in a week you got 5 then in a month got 35 and so on ha ha but guess everyone's idea of growth is relative and all different views but thanks for your input.i will try my best research some nicer looking ones and then hopefully lfs got them after the new year or can get them ^_^

This is thread just from quick search of invasive mushroom.these like this been reading over last several months but someone in this thread saying something similar to you as in they not invasive,they more like beginner corals so thanks

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find GSP invasive because once on rock, it don’t come off.
But grow it on the glass and it’s easy to maintain, mops up organics, and makes tons of frags.
On the other hand, many of the nice colorful Ricodea and Yuma can be relatively slower as the must first growth a mouth, then spilt, rather than maybe Discasoma who leave parts of themselves as they move and these parts fully regrow.
But it takes quite a bit of time to become a problem and none of mine have overtaken a healthy corals.
5FC790C0-C159-4B95-9E62-A31FF793A103.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 147 60.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.2%
Back