recomendations on ich treatment

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to see what evryone's opion was about ich treatment. here's the deal...

I have a 58 RR oceanic, would est 40lbs live rock mainly keeping ancans, micros and some zoas/palys. I have a few small fish mainly gobies ( 2 green banded gobies, 2 yellow strip neons, 2 wheelers whatchmen gobies, 1 red head goby and royal gramma ) I just added the wheeler's and one of the yellow neon approx 10 days ago. Well last night while feeding the fish I noticed the royal gramma scratching her side on rocks. I leaned in for closer inspection and found ich on her and the yellow neon. I can't tell if the wheelers have it or not there cream color and little jewels makes it hard to tell. the gramma has multilple parisites attached. All fish are eating very well, in other words my fish are fat and happy.

The two options I am looking at are using kick ich or metronidyzal (sp) in their food. But I am open to suggestions! The only other time I have battled ich in a reef tank was in my 75 with a powder blue I got from a local reefer and it did not turn out well at all! :( I really like these little guys and would like to save them if possible. So please if you would give me your advice so I can weigh my options.

Thanks in advance
Patrick

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've battled ich a few times. The only sure way to get rid of ick is to QT your fish and leave your tank fallow for at least 6 weeks. You want to use copper or hyposalinity while the fish are in QT. This is the method I use.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
The most important thing is to make sure the QT is clean. Ammonia can get to dangerous levels real fast in a small tank.

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh I know that is the best solution for the problem but unfortunately it is not an option for me at this point. I am going to have to treat the fish in the tank at this time. Does anyone have any methods they have used in the tank that have worked

Thanks for the option you use. The link seems to be broken though. Do you know if I could put fish in a "cooper dip" to kill off any parasites that may be on them to prevent it coming in on the fish? Or would that just get the parasites that were not below the skin??

Back