Recommend Best Portable Power Station with UPS, Built in Transfer Switch, for Entire Reef Tank

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Came across this deal today, if this helps anyone:

DEENO 1500w power station

you can find these similar deals shared through techbargains.com regularly.

Also a smaller unit for less:

Runhood power station
Both very interesting units, for a fair price. The Deeno is probably more for running the entire tank being a LifePo4, Runhood for DC power. Very interesting the swap battery / charge system the Runhood uses. I don't think either unit provide a built in transfer switch, but good options for backup power when you are home to plug them in.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basement sump with a 2.9 amp return pump (PanWorld). I have 2 large (110AH) AGM batteries (for solar and wind storage) with trickle charger, 2000W pure sine wave inverter and transfer switch. I have tested the system and it will run the pump for at least 7 hours. This system was added in 2017. Would likely go with lithium-based batteries in 2023.

The only issue is that my transfer switch is a relay type and slow enough (1 second) that by the time the pump switches over to battery, the back flow from the 16 feet of head siphoning back into the basement turns the pump slowly backwards and overheats it, then shuts off. I have a "Y" check valve, but it is a pain to clean every week or two. I need to find an electronic one like in a UPS or a UPS without a battery.

This is what I bought:

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a basement sump with a 2.9 amp return pump (PanWorld). I have 2 large (110AH) AGM batteries (for solar and wind storage) with trickle charger, 2000W pure sine wave inverter and transfer switch. I have tested the system and it will run the pump for at least 7 hours. This system was added in 2017. Would likely go with lithium-based batteries in 2023.

The only issue is that my transfer switch is a relay type and slow enough (1 second) that by the time the pump switches over to battery, the back flow from the 16 feet of head siphoning back into the basement turns the pump slowly backwards and overheats it, then shuts off. I have a "Y" check valve, but it is a pain to clean every week or two. I need to find an electronic one like in a UPS or a UPS without a battery.

This is what I bought:

I wonder if a newer inverter / transfer switch, with a LifePo4 might switch over faster. Not that the battery chemistry matters, other than giving you a lot more run time. There is also the question if the 100Ah LifePo4 will be able to handle the amp draw at startup. Could always go with a larger 200Ah LifePo4, if not. 7 hours is not bad, for an AGM. Good to hear you've had a system going since 2017. Hoping to get at least 10 years out of my system.

As I mentioned, my transfer switch was not working, so I never got to test the transfer speed. It is a 2000W Aims, so it should work for your system. Once I have it all up and running, I'll report back.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if a newer inverter / transfer switch, with a LifePo4 might switch over faster. Not that the battery chemistry matters, other than giving you a lot more run time. There is also the question if the 100Ah LifePo4 will be able to handle the amp draw at startup. Could always go with a larger 200Ah LifePo4, if not. 7 hours is not bad, for an AGM. Good to hear you've had a system going since 2017. Hoping to get at least 10 years out of my system.

As I mentioned, my transfer switch was not working, so I never got to test the transfer speed. It is a 2000W Aims, so it should work for your system. Once I have it all up and running, I'll report back.
If you don't have a basement sump 16 feet below the tank, the relay-type transfer switch that I bought should work.

My batteries are rated for 10 years, so in 3-4 years I'll reevaluate. I'm dreading hauling 2 X 80lbs batteries up the stairs in 4 years :angry-face:

I look forward to what you find!

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one for my system. It's very expensive but it runs all of my equipment minus the heaters for 24 hours. When you add on 500 watts of heat, it drops down to 3 hours.
The problem is the heaters that's a lot of watts to run depending on the size of your fish tank, IME.

Screenshot_20230105_142446_Chrome.jpg
What equipment are you running on this Battery back up?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment are you running on this Battery back up?
Apex w/ 2 eb832's, 2 wav, skimmer, return pump sicce sdc 9.0, sump pump, carx with all the fixings. I think that's it. No heaters, that sucks the juice right out of them.
Says it will run for 24 hours on the dashboard but haven't tested it.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update. The Aims 2000 watt inverter / transfer is back and working. I connected everything to the CHINS 100 AH LiFePO4 to perform a test on the 120 mixed reef. The battery was at 80% capacity and ran the entire tank, minus the two AI Hydra's, for 3.5 hours. The battery was at 12.7 volts, when I switched the inverter back over to shore power. The AIMS inverter will work down to 12VDC.

A REALLY promising first performance by this system, especially considering the 800 watt heater was switching on and off the entire time and the entire setup 'so far' cost a little less than $500 USD. Judging by this very non scientific test, I will get a minimum of 6 hours, running 75% of the reef system on a 100AH LiFePO4. I really need to invest in a clamping multimeter, so I can more closely monitor Amp draw. Most of our power outages are 3 hours, or less. When the system is permanently installed, I'll likely prioritize critical life support equipment, to optimize for a longer run time.

Additionally once the battery runs down to 12 V and inverter switches off, I should get an additional 48 hours of circulation via direct connect DC to the MP40QD and Tunze DC pumps. It is safe to run a LiFePO4 down to 10% capacity.

One more note, I was a bit concerned that the 150-300 amp start up surge generated by the AIMS 2000 might trip the internal BDS in the 100AH Chins LIFEPO4. This is the case for LifePo4's by a variety of manufacturers. Apparently, the Chins can easily handle intermittent spikes, which is a relief. That said, I will likely increase the capacity on this system to a 200AH LifePO4, very soon and use the current battery for a second system to power the frag tanks. I want my family to be able to plug into the reef tank power system, during a blackout, so the extra capacity will be good.

I plan on building this power system into a custom cabinet, that will sit next to the 120G mixed reef. I will post an update, when it is finished.

IMG_1191.PNG
IMG_1194.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the finished LiFePo4 Power station cabinet. Painted to match the cabinet of our 120 gallon Reef system.

LiFePo4 Craft Aquatic Reef Aquarium Power Station and Apex Controller.jpg

Here is the control center. The reef aquarium and shore power plugs are on the left side, not shown. Also, DC plugs for the pumps, for when inverter drains battery too low. This front panel houses the main DC breaker, additional AC outlet, Inverter switch and status module, DC and Amp draw meters, plus additional DC and USB charge points, for the family to use during blackouts. Everything is on a separate fuse, all connected to a shunt and central DC breaker.
LiFePo4 Craft Aquatic Reef Aquarium Power Station Control Board.jpg

I can place this wood panel over the control board, to clean up the look of the generator cabinet. Every panel that surrounds the lower cabinet is removable, to make battery and inverter maintenance easier.
LiFePo4 Reef Aquarium Power Station Cabinet.jpg

The top has been prepared for bulkheads. Eventually, this shelf will house a mangrove tank.
LiFePo4 Craft Aquatic Reef Aquarium Power Station Shelves.jpg

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the finished LiFePo4 Power station cabinet. Painted to match the cabinet of our 120 gallon Reef system.

LiFePo4 Craft Aquatic Reef Aquarium Power Station and Apex Controller.jpg

Here is the control center. The reef aquarium and shore power plugs are on the left side, not shown. Also, DC plugs for the pumps, for when inverter drains battery too low. This front panel houses the main DC breaker, additional AC outlet, Inverter switch and status module, DC and Amp draw meters, plus additional DC and USB charge points, for the family to use during blackouts. Everything is on a separate fuse, all connected to a shunt and central DC breaker.
LiFePo4 Craft Aquatic Reef Aquarium Power Station Control Board.jpg

I can place this wood panel over the control board, to clean up the look of the generator cabinet. Every panel that surrounds the lower cabinet is removable, to make battery and inverter maintenance easier.
LiFePo4 Reef Aquarium Power Station Cabinet.jpg

The top has been prepared for bulkheads. Eventually, this shelf will house a mangrove tank.
LiFePo4 Craft Aquatic Reef Aquarium Power Station Shelves.jpg

Love everything about this post, including the part about the future mangrove tank!

So to use this system, someone has to be around to plug things in? Or is it connected around the back, switched to AC automatically, then you have to switch to the DC outlets manually when the batteries run down to 12v and the inverter switches off?

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love everything about this post, including the part about the future mangrove tank!

So to use this system, someone has to be around to plug things in? Or is it connected around the back, switched to AC automatically, then you have to switch to the DC outlets manually when the batteries run down to 12v and the inverter switches off?
Thanks! The inverter automatically switches on, during a power outage. The tank is always plugged into the inverter pass through and receives grid power, until there is a power outage. In addition, the dc pumps are always plugged into the separate dc outputs of my backup system and automatically switch the DC pumps on, when the inverter can no longer supply power. No one needs to be there to manually flip a switch. Here is a pic of where the Apex, grid power and dc outputs are plugged in.

IMG_1517.jpeg

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is an interesting you tube video? Very nice tank back up system.

Yeah. I just listened to this in podcast form, the other day. Pretty interesting. Power backup seems to be on people's minds, probably because the battery tech is finally accessible to the average hobbyist. I'll be posting a video about my setup. I'll include a link here, once it is up.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back