Recommend me a list of Inverts for my clean-up crew

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I have a Redsea 625XXL and it has been running for about 6 months now. Algae is starting to appear on the rocks and they are all slowly turning dark brow and I can see a small film on algae covering every bit of available rock surface. I haven't had a good clean up crew all this time and only have a sand sifting starfish and due to the size of the tank, it barely makes a difference. Could you recommend a good list of clean-up crew for my tank.

I have a couple of SPS and some lps corals in the tank and the current water parameters are as follows (all tested with Hanna checkers)

Salinity 35ppt
8.2ph
8.9 Alk
Phos 0.06
Nitrate 15
Ammonia & Nitrite 0
Mag 1350
Cal 380

Bio Load
Yellow tang
6line Wrasse
Gold rim tang
Blue tang
Powder blue tang
Sailfin tang
Purple tang
2x cleaner shrimps
7 Cromers
1 sand sifting starfish

I am open for suggestions and even if there is something I can do to my water parameters to get the algae build up down, I am all ears. Oh, I has two sand sifting gobys in the past that kept the sand in pristine condition and they had even laid eggs in the tank. But I had to give them back to my LFS as they kept moving all the 30kgs of sand that I have in the tank to one corner every night. Got so sick and tired of levelling out sand each morning.

I will add some pics soon as soon as I go home. Cheers

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp and goby do good with sand and aren’t as destructive.
Nassarius snails also do good on sand.
I would recommend assorted snails (trochus, astrea, turbo) and hermit crabs primarily, as they do very well on rock and glass algae.
Urchins are also very effective.
Emerald crabs do well but may attack corals if you have a mean one.

OP
OP
R

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210729_235737.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and recommendations guys. I also forgot to mention and that i have a refugium and also I have installed a clarisea 5000 to keep the water clear. My skimmer is a redsea (600 i think).

Build up on the sandbed doesn't annoy as I know it can be cleared up by a good vacuum but I can't stand the look of rockwork with brown algae on them. I will add a close up here.

20210730_000056.jpg
20210730_000415.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and recommendations guys. I also forgot to mention and that i have a refugium and also I have installed a clarisea 5000 to keep the water clear. My skimmer is a redsea (600 i think).

Build up on the sandbed doesn't annoy as I know it can be cleared up by a good vacuum but I can't stand the look of rockwork with brown algae on them. I will add a close up here.

20210730_000056.jpg
20210730_000415.jpg
Kinda hard to see on the pic. Is it reddish or brown? Bubbly? Does it easily come off? Probably just diatoms but I can’t tell if it’s cyano or not.

OP
OP
R

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is brown and bubbly. It is not that easy to remove. For example i can't get the algae off with a Turkey baster but they come off very easily with a toothbrush. Toothbrush turns them into very fine dusty particles but they come back again within a few days

OP
OP
R

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies guys. Bought a bunch of snails from the lfs and the trochus snails in particular are like lawnmowers. Look at the difference. However, my turbo snails for some reason are always hanging out right up the top of the tank sometimes even above the water line. I have no idea why they do that.
20210803_224834.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I have a Redsea 625XXL and it has been running for about 6 months now. Algae is starting to appear on the rocks and they are all slowly turning dark brow and I can see a small film on algae covering every bit of available rock surface. I haven't had a good clean up crew all this time and only have a sand sifting starfish and due to the size of the tank, it barely makes a difference. Could you recommend a good list of clean-up crew for my tank.

I have a couple of SPS and some lps corals in the tank and the current water parameters are as follows (all tested with Hanna checkers)

Salinity 35ppt
8.2ph
8.9 Alk
Phos 0.06
Nitrate 15
Ammonia & Nitrite 0
Mag 1350
Cal 380

Bio Load
Yellow tang
6line Wrasse
Gold rim tang
Blue tang
Powder blue tang
Sailfin tang
Purple tang
2x cleaner shrimps
7 Cromers
1 sand sifting starfish

I am open for suggestions and even if there is something I can do to my water parameters to get the algae build up down, I am all ears. Oh, I has two sand sifting gobys in the past that kept the sand in pristine condition and they had even laid eggs in the tank. But I had to give them back to my LFS as they kept moving all the 30kgs of sand that I have in the tank to one corner every night. Got so sick and tired of levelling out sand each morning.

I will add some pics soon as soon as I go home. Cheers
Reefcleaners.org get the package for 1/2 your tank size

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies guys. Bought a bunch of snails from the lfs and the trochus snails in particular are like lawnmowers. Look at the difference. However, my turbo snails for some reason are always hanging out right up the top of the tank sometimes even above the water line. I have no idea why they do that.
20210803_224834.jpg
This is normal with oceans having a high and low tide. They do their work at night.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back