Recommendation for Protein Skimmer 820g FOWLR

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to build my equipment list for my new build; an 820g FOWLR tank. My current hunt is for the right Protein Skimmer. I will have some messy eaters in the tank (eels & triggers) so I know skimming will be important. My LFS recommends an in-sump skimmer which seems to make sense to me. I don't want to go crazy on price, but willing to spend more if the skimmer does a better job. My stand will have about 39" of height to work with. My current plan for the sump is a custom made sump from Bashsea.

My initial research came up with REEF OCTOPUS SRO XP8000 In-Sump Protein Skimmer. It sells for about $1,300.00. I am a little nervous about the height - 37.5" Not sure it would be easy to remove the top section to clean.

Thoughts? Questions? Recommendations?

I appreciate your help!

Steve

1614999943146.png

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ... 820g! That's awesome!

I don't have personal experience with anything that big, but I would start by advocating for a RECIRCULATING skimmer. By separating the feed to the skimmer from the pump that provides air entrainment, you get a lot more control over tuning the unit.

The good news is that Reef Octopus makes a really solid line of recirculating skimmers (I personally use their Regal 200-E for my 130g DT).

The only other manufacturer left (that I am aware of) that makes a recirculating skimmer is Deltec ... look at their line of "external" skimmers. They are quite expensive, but have a solid reputation.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ... 820g! That's awesome!

I don't have personal experience with anything that big, but I would start by advocating for a RECIRCULATING skimmer. By separating the feed to the skimmer from the pump that provides air entrainment, you get a lot more control over tuning the unit.

The good news is that Reef Octopus makes a really solid line of recirculating skimmers (I personally use their Regal 200-E for my 130g DT).

The only other manufacturer left (that I am aware of) that makes a recirculating skimmer is Deltec ... look at their line of "external" skimmers. They are quite expensive, but have a solid reputation.

I've been reading about recirculating skimmers. Seems to be some debate as to whether they are better or not but would love more feedback from users like yourself. I also don't know if can get a recirculating in-sump skimmer big enough for my needs. (Or if they even exist)

Another consideration is the size of the sump. Because of my stand design I have to go more narrow and long. I looked at the Bubble King but the footprint may be too big.

And I might have to consider external but nervous about the potential of flooding. Seems an in-sump skimmer is lots less risk.

The more I research the more questions I have. LOL. And I guess I better figure out the skimmer BEFORE ordering the sump!

Thanks for your input.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has done a number of videos on Skimmer technology ... they were the ones that put me on to the idea of a recirculating skimmer ... here's the best video to check out:

As for plumbing your skimmer EXTERNALLY to your sump, I understand your concerns - there's no doubt that there are more ways for things to go wrong. At the same time, I think it's important to remember that all of the fittings are "static" - meaning you build them once and then forget about them. Since there are no moving parts to the plumbing, the probability of the plumbing failing is extremely small (except, of course, if something runs into it or hits it). So as long as you take your time and do it right, it should last you years without any problems (think about how much plumbing is inside your house already - how much time do you spend worrying about it!)

My current skimmer is the first external skimmer I've used and I don't think I'll ever go back ... there's just so much more room in my sump now and I've got so much more control over the skimmer itself.

The real key consideration is space ... if you have to fit everything in your stand, you may have limited options.

Food for thought! Can't wait to see what you decide!

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has done a number of videos on Skimmer technology ... they were the ones that put me on to the idea of a recirculating skimmer ... here's the best video to check out:

As for plumbing your skimmer EXTERNALLY to your sump, I understand your concerns - there's no doubt that there are more ways for things to go wrong. At the same time, I think it's important to remember that all of the fittings are "static" - meaning you build them once and then forget about them. Since there are no moving parts to the plumbing, the probability of the plumbing failing is extremely small (except, of course, if something runs into it or hits it). So as long as you take your time and do it right, it should last you years without any problems (think about how much plumbing is inside your house already - how much time do you spend worrying about it!)

My current skimmer is the first external skimmer I've used and I don't think I'll ever go back ... there's just so much more room in my sump now and I've got so much more control over the skimmer itself.

The real key consideration is space ... if you have to fit everything in your stand, you may have limited options.

Food for thought! Can't wait to see what you decide!
Been reading about the Deltec and pretty impressed. Yes fitting everything into the stand is a challenge and even more of a challenge because I have a pentagon shaped tank. I'm actually looking at two sumps (L-shaped) plumbed together. I have been speaking with Bashsea and my LFS about the design. I could fit an external skimmer in the stand. However I haven't researched the best way to plumb it. Suggestions?

As far are worrying about the plumbing in my house... I live in Dallas, Texas and recently went through that crazy week of cold and little power. Lots of broken pipes for my friends and our warehouse. Broken vales for me. So I worry! LOL

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small world ... I'm in Dallas too!

For plumbing your skimmer externally you only have two options: (A) Drilling bulkheads into your sump and hard-plumbing your components together, or (B) raising the skimmer until the discharge line is higher than the top of your sump and running the plumbing over the edge of the sump.

I went with (B).

The key to either method is the RETURN line from the skimmer back to the sump. It is critical that you do not raise the discharge plumbing from the skimmer in any way, or else the gate valve will not be able to control the working water level ... in other words, when the water exits the simmer from the gate valve it essentially needs to be able to "fall" back into the sump without encountering any impediment to flow.

Here's what mine looks like (don't judge my plumbing skills).
IMG_1041.jpeg

My sump is on the right (blue) ... water is pumped from the sump via a VarioS pump through the red piping and over to the skimmer ... water flows back to the sump via the grey pipe after the gate valve. The small vertical pipe on the discharge line is a siphon break.

Notice that the skimmer sits HIGHER than the sump so that the discharge line does not need to rise to cross back into the sump.

Make sense?

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small world ... I'm in Dallas too!

For plumbing your skimmer externally you only have two options: (A) Drilling bulkheads into your sump and hard-plumbing your components together, or (B) raising the skimmer until the discharge line is higher than the top of your sump and running the plumbing over the edge of the sump.

I went with (B).

The key to either method is the RETURN line from the skimmer back to the sump. It is critical that you do not raise the discharge plumbing from the skimmer in any way, or else the gate valve will not be able to control the working water level ... in other words, when the water exits the simmer from the gate valve it essentially needs to be able to "fall" back into the sump without encountering any impediment to flow.

Here's what mine looks like (don't judge my plumbing skills).
IMG_1041.jpeg

My sump is on the right (blue) ... water is pumped from the sump via a VarioS pump through the red piping and over to the skimmer ... water flows back to the sump via the grey pipe after the gate valve. The small vertical pipe on the discharge line is a siphon break.

Notice that the skimmer sits HIGHER than the sump so that the discharge line does not need to rise to cross back into the sump.

Make sense?
My office, where the tank is going, is in Richardson. Small world!

I don't have the option of installing above the sump because of height considerations within the stand. I do have the option of drilling into my sump.

My concern with the external would be what might happen if the cup overflowed. Although it appears the Deltec has a sensor to prevent this, which might be a nice feature. We are not always in our office on weekends, and not in the evening, so I am a little more sensitive to problems when we are not there. We are going with an Apex system with some leak detection to shut down the system in the event of a leak but not sure, at this point, what'll the capabilities are.

If I am understanding correctly I can also put the external recirculating in the sump? I see I could do this with the Reef Octopus 8000 EXT although the foot print and height are very tight. And it would take up a fair amount of space in the sump. Seems like like of pros and cons either way.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote a custom life reef. 36" tall with a strong pump.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations. Always hard to pick the final product when there are so many good options and trying to figure out what will work best for me and fit in the stand area. I ended u ordering a Reef Octopus. I just keep hearing positive comments on them. I got a good deal on the SRO-8000 External. It is a light weight commercial unit. its an 8 week delivery time as they are built to order. I do fear it may be a little on the large size but I do lan on having a fairly high bio load with the predator tank.
sro8000ext_1.jpg

ATB USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATB 12.5 Deluxe Protein Skimmer $1335
  • Rated for tanks up to 925 gallons
  • Footprint: 20″ x 15″
  • Total Height: 33″
  • Cone Dimensions: 12″ & 4.75″
  • Sicce SDC 4000 Wifi pump
  • 24V, cca. 35 - 58 Watt, 1000 - 3500 l/h air, 3800 l/h water
  • Recommended sump water depth: 12"
1616201442441.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back