Recommendation needed for jig for drilling holes in cabinet for shelves

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

This is actually for a stand holding my freshwater tank but I figure the knowledge might come in handy for a future stand for my saltwater tank. The stand is fairly well made but it's lacking shelves in the cabinet area. Totally makes sense for a large canister filter but it's weird that it didn't come pre-drilled with holes to add shelves (and maybe come with a couple removable shelves.

At any rate I would like to drill some holes and add some shelves I can cut from plywood. I have never drilled holes for shelf pins before so obviously I want the holes evenly spaced and straight when I drill them. Sounds like it's time for a jig. I don't need an expensive one and I found a couple but I want to be sure I'm looking at the right jig to do this job. The pictures look like they're what I need. I'm in Canada hence the Canadian links. If someone has other/better suggestions let me know.

Milescraft 1316 Cabinet Mate

Thanks!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more expensive than the one you already found, but I prefer the Kreg Jigs. They are quality products and I know things like this I will multiple times so I'm ok paying more for the higher quality that I know is going to hold up and last.

KREG KMA3200 Shelf Pin Drilling Jig 8 in.

I have a bunch Kreg products and they all work great and are well made.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

This is actually for a stand holding my freshwater tank but I figure the knowledge might come in handy for a future stand for my saltwater tank. The stand is fairly well made but it's lacking shelves in the cabinet area. Totally makes sense for a large canister filter but it's weird that it didn't come pre-drilled with holes to add shelves (and maybe come with a couple removable shelves.

At any rate I would like to drill some holes and add some shelves I can cut from plywood. I have never drilled holes for shelf pins before so obviously I want the holes evenly spaced and straight when I drill them. Sounds like it's time for a jig. I don't need an expensive one and I found a couple but I want to be sure I'm looking at the right jig to do this job. The pictures look like they're what I need. I'm in Canada hence the Canadian links. If someone has other/better suggestions let me know.

Milescraft 1316 Cabinet Mate

Thanks!

You can also make your own jig if you have some spare pieces of hardwood and a drill press. (It can also be done with softwood, but the hardwood will last longer).

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more expensive than the one you already found, but I prefer the Kreg Jigs. They are quality products and I know things like this I will multiple times so I'm ok paying more for the higher quality that I know is going to hold up and last.

KREG KMA3200 Shelf Pin Drilling Jig 8 in.

I have a bunch Kreg products and they all work great and are well made.

Thank you so much. I did see that one in my searches. I don't mind paying more if it's better made! I just didn't want to be paying $80+ for something I might be using just once. Haha

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also make your own jig if you have some spare pieces of hardwood and a drill press. (It can also be done with softwood, but the hardwood will last longer).
I actually would like to try making my own (more to see if I can do it) but I don't know if I'm quite ready for that. I love watching all the woodworking shows on PBS and gosh darn they make it so then I try to do it and it turns out to be not so easy. LOL. I need to take some courses.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be shelf tracks with clips. Pre- slotted metal track that comes in multiple lengths and can easily be screwed to cabinet walls.
I know exactly what you mean and this is a great option that didn't even cross my mind! Thanks! This is why I made this post. I was getting tunnel vision with thinking I had to drill holes for pins. :)

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you mean and this is a great option that didn't even cross my mind! Thanks! This is why I made this post. I was getting tunnel vision with thinking I had to drill holes for pins. :)
You are welcome, glad to help. Contractor by trade so little tunnel vision in my life . Lol

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the ready made jigs will work well IMO. You can also make a down and dirty jig with a piece of peg board. The trick with any of them is making sure you drill at exactly the same height on both sides. I'd suggest using a short piece of wood underneath the jig to support it in the correct location. You can then just move the jig front/back/left right to line them up perfectly without any measurements needed. There is nothing worse that drilling the holes only to find out that one corner of the shelf isn't supported because those holes are a tiny bit off from the others.

FWIW - I think my jig is from Woodcraft. Very easy to use, and over the years I have found that I use it more and more.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the ready made jigs will work well IMO. You can also make a down and dirty jig with a piece of peg board. The trick with any of them is making sure you drill at exactly the same height on both sides. I'd suggest using a short piece of wood underneath the jig to support it in the correct location. You can then just move the jig front/back/left right to line them up perfectly without any measurements needed. There is nothing worse that drilling the holes only to find out that one corner of the shelf isn't supported because those holes are a tiny bit off from the others.

FWIW - I think my jig is from Woodcraft. Very easy to use, and over the years I have found that I use it more and more.
Thank you for this!! I've been wanting to make one for years (probably for as long as I've had this cabinet) but fear of messing it up has caused me to procrastinate which is stupid because what does it matter if I mess it up? Most of the materials would be about $15 total. Haha. I can just try again and learn from my mistakes. Now six years later and everytime I open the cabinet everything tumbles out so now I'm in the "I need it now, actually yesterday" mindset. Haha. I will check out Woodcraft. I think I have come across that name before.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this!! I've been wanting to make one for years (probably for as long as I've had this cabinet) but fear of messing it up has caused me to procrastinate which is stupid because what does it matter if I mess it up? Most of the materials would be about $15 total. Haha. I can just try again and learn from my mistakes. Now six years later and everytime I open the cabinet everything tumbles out so now I'm in the "I need it now, actually yesterday" mindset. Haha. I will check out Woodcraft. I think I have come across that name before.

Woodcraft and rockler both carry jigs like this. I prefer woodcraft to rockler but I've purchased from both.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woodcraft and rockler both carry jigs like this. I prefer woodcraft to rockler but I've purchased from both.
Excellent. Thanks! I'm making a list of companies for things like this! I saw a news story where a person from Lee Valley Tools said that stuff that is out of stock can now take up to a year to get restocked because of the broken supply chain. Scary! They're saying if your old stuff works then don't get rid of it until you have the new items in hand. I heard the same for appliances, etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back