Recommendation on a Snail CUC for beginnings of a Diatom Bloom for a newly recycled tank

Hank The Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15G tank finished cycling 2 weeks ago using bacteria + ammonia. Nitrate is now under 5, Prosphate near 0. I placed some chaeto in the display tank as I'm not running a skimmer or sump. Currently have 2 clowns and a fire fish. I'm starting to see the beginnings of the ugly stage with brown spots. I believe its called a diatom bloom. I was a a LFS this weekend looking to purchase some astraea snails and the store owner said that snails won't consume the diatom algae. I'm sure he is right. What should I do about mitigating the diatom? Is there a different CUC that will eat it? Should I just let it pass like most people are recommending?

LOWRY_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would blow it off with turkey baster. Some astrea will be good. 1-2 per 10 gal as a rule. But make sure you’re feeding them too. Add pods. Add microbacter 7 per instructions. Don’t let your nitrates or phosphates go to zero. It’ll pass.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms will eventually pass on their own. But if you don't like the look of them, you can always siphon them out as well. But, some would argue that you are just putting off the inevitable since the silicates in the system are still there which will promote the diatoms to produce and consume them anyhow.

As for snails, it is hit or miss for snails to consume diatoms. I can't recall having any that really cleaned up diatoms in my system. I personally like astraea snails the best...they do well in my tank and are workhorses for eating algae. Cerith are smaller and consume less but can reach into hard to get to areas in rocks. Nerites are also very hardy in my tank, but they aren't bulldozers when it comes to cleaning algae like an astraea snail. Maybe just start out with a few until you start seeing good algae for them to consume...you may end up having to supplement their feedings with seaweed sheets if they aren't getting enough to eat.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back