Recommendations please

Budski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to saltwater and reef tanks. I have had freshwater before but I just started my first saltwater tank. I have just acquired my lighting and everything and have had fish in my tank now for about 3 months. I have a 100 gallon tank and am looking on recommendations for some LPS and softies.

I am trying to get my feet wet with some peaceful varieties that won't become a nuisance later on.

So far I am looking at some acans.. and that's about it haha. I still need to setup my lighting and then I feel I should be good to go. My lighting are viparspectra 165w Blackboxes. Can't afford to shovel the 1000+ to get really nice ones yet.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions. Happy to very soon be reefing with you guys!

1512537583512491546796.jpg

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A frogspawn is a very forgiving coral and lets you know how your tank is doing. It will recede when the conditions are not right. Medium light and flow. Works well under black boxes to the sides and not directly underneath in the middle.

OP
OP
Budski

Budski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing my waters pretty frequently. My ph stays at 8.3, Ammonia is near non existent, same with nitrite, and my nitrates have been staying pretty comfortably at about 5 to 10 ppm. I haven't been checking my calc and alk yet but I did get a No28 block to keep in my ghetto sump to replenish the trace elements.

And thank you guys for your responses. I don't typically join many forums because the senior members aren't fond of newbies.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from a senior member. And probably ask a lot of basic questions, but everyone here is always nice and helpful. :)

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing my waters pretty frequently. My ph stays at 8.3, Ammonia is near non existent, same with nitrite, and my nitrates have been staying pretty comfortably at about 5 to 10 ppm. I haven't been checking my calc and alk yet but I did get a No28 block to keep in my ghetto sump to replenish the trace elements.

And thank you guys for your responses. I don't typically join many forums because the senior members aren't fond of newbies.
Folks round here DO cotton to newbies. And remember... once you go Acro, you never go back Bro. ;)

Arthur Jen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try leather corals, they get's pretty big and a sweet for the eye when move. I would recomend some hammer corals, they are hardy and do well in most water parameters and lighting. But I would take leathers over them

OP
OP
Budski

Budski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. I will definitely look into all of these ones mentioned.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back