Recommendations? Want to Upgrade Lighting on Biocube 32

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ugh, decision time.. Only reason why I was leaning towards the Radion XR15 G5 Pro was a number of people mentioned Radion and some AB+ mode that is apparently the "god" mode of lighting to be perfect lol. At this point, I am still debating, but leaning towards the 360x with the wired controller. Wifi I would prefer, but from what I read, you get more options and pre-programmed options such as sunrise and sunset with the wired one.
Xr15 just do it, look for a used one to save. Its premium product i promise. I originally bought my XR30 Pro’s Gen 3 used for $350. Big savings for a great product. Change out the RF chip to Bluetooth for $30 (Gen 3 pro or Gen 4’s) and then it will be app controlled.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi isn't needed. It just let's you play with things that shouldn't be IMO.
Stupid question, but I am going to ask to be safe... I read somewhere that wifi had one benefit of reapplying the settings you have after a power outage. I would assume that means cloud based. Do the wired controllers save settings? I really want ease of use since I don't know much about lighting. Power outages in this area aren't common, maybe once or twice a year, but they do happen from time to time like all places.

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, but I am going to ask to be safe... I read somewhere that wifi had one benefit of reapplying the settings you have after a power outage. I would assume that means cloud based. Do the wired controllers save settings? I really want ease of use since I don't know much about lighting. Power outages in this area aren't common, maybe once or twice a year, but they do happen from time to time like all places.
No thats not true for the ones using the Mobius App over Bluetooth atleast. It saves the settings for you. Wifi ones require you to purchase a controller or plug it directly into your computer and download programs which is a pain. I converted my wifi models to Bluetooth to run the app exactly for the ease of use youre looking for. You could also just buy the G5 thats already running the Mobius app. The RMS light will be needed though unless you cut out the biocube hood.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had to redo my settings after an outage

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the wired controller upgradable if there are new settings, etc? I could see that being the one benefit to wifi.
There's firmware updates. I haven't ever done them though... maybe I should lol

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the wired controller upgradable if there are new settings, etc? I could see that being the one benefit to wifi.
In my opinion there is no benefit to running a radion on wifi simply because of connectivity issues and its outdated. No more updates for the reeflink controller because of the mobius app.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion there is no benefit to running a radion on wifi simply because of connectivity issues and its outdated. No more updates for the reeflink controller because of the mobius app.
You are selling me more and more on the Kessil A360X lol. Actually, sold! Now, which module to get... wifi or wired. Plus, which mount? I'm not familiar with the term goose neck mount. I heard they can suck, especially for biocubes. However, I also heard the gooseneck for the Kessil, is the best of the best. You sold me on the light, sell me on the rest. :)

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are selling me more and more on the Kessil A360X lol. Actually, sold! Now, which module to get... wifi or wired. Plus, which mount? I'm not familiar with the term goose neck mount. I heard they can suck, especially for biocubes. However, I also heard the gooseneck for the Kessil, is the best of the best. You sold me on the light, sell me on the rest. :)
Lol nice, if you got other tank apps on your phone then wifi. If not just go wired. The gooseneck mount kinda sucks in a way but it is also good, you gotta adjust it a couple times before it stays where you want it. The A series mounting arm is very nice, might actually be your beat option since the biocube has some depth to it.

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All though i just priced out the 360x with wifi dongle and mounting arm and brother you should just buy a dang xr15 and rms mount. Its actually cheaper to go radion man. I would not spend $700 on that kessil over an xr15.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that most any mount (e.g., gooseneck), will have to have the ‘reach’ on its clamp to get over and still tighten on the Biocube with the ‘lip’ that remains after the lid is removed, no? I’m just trying to give a heads-up here. Best wishes no matter which way you go.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All though i just priced out the 360x with wifi dongle and mounting arm and brother you should just buy a dang xr15 and rms mount. Its actually cheaper to go radion man. I would not spend $700 on that kessil over an xr15.
haha, the mount for the Xr15 is basically $100 and $500 something for the light. Pricing works out to be roughly the same as mount, light and module for the Kessil. If one is better than the other, I want that one.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that most any mount (e.g., gooseneck), will have to have the ‘reach’ on its clamp to get over and still tighten on the Biocube with the ‘lip’ that remains after the lid is removed, no? I’m just trying to give a heads-up here. Best wishes no matter which way you go.
Ya lip will still be on... Is that going to be an issue for the Kessil or Radion light mounts?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had an XR15 on my BC32 for about 4 years and really happy.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the benefits to the XR15 vers 360x? I thought I was sold on the 360x, but now I am unsure... Want to purchase tonight. :(

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, the mount for the Xr15 is basically $100 and $500 something for the light. Pricing works out to be roughly the same as mount, light and module for the Kessil. If one is better than the other, I want that one.
radion is way better, no shadow, great interface and the light grows with the tank. no matter how big your acros got you would never need anything else. Buy the XR15 right now bro. World wide corals runs it for a reason. I run it for the same. Its the best from LED options. Kessil is freaking great but it aint a Radion. Ecotech marine customer support is amazing as well.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Love the light, but it has a lot of light bleed. Now evaporation is an issue too lol.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back