Recommended corals for 55 gallon with Currant USA Orbit Marine LED

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am fairly new to reef keeping.

I am setting up a new 55 gallon reef and would like to eventually pick up some corals. I do have rockwork up to 8" from the surface.

I know the Currant USA Orbit Marine LED (not pro) done's have a huge amount of PAR, especially at depth. Is this light able to grow corals and are there any recommended newbie friendly low par corals? Would the pro make that much of an improvement?

Last edited:

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick search and its looking like you will be getting about 30-90 par working from bottom to top. That definitely works for lots of soft coral and some lower light lps. For a beginner like yourself, softies are a great start. Mushrooms can in many different shapes and colors and are really easy to take care of. Leathers add alot of height and cool growth and and pretty easy to take care of. You also have a lot of polyps and zoas to choose from.

You could also looking into some easier lps that dont require too much light like duncans, acans, candy canes, favias, blastos, just to name a few.

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you so much for the reply. I was worried I was going to have to shell out another couple hundred for a different light.

Last edited:

yovertenezaca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am fairly new to reef keeping.

I am setting up a new 55 gallon reef and would like to eventually pick up some corals. I do have rockwork up to 8" from the surface.

I know the Currant USA Orbit Marine LED (not pro) done's have a huge amount of PAR, especially at depth. Is this light able to grow corals and are there any recommended newbie friendly low par corals? Would the pro make that much of an improvement?
Hello, although the USA Orbit Marine Led doesn't have an advantageous PAR I have had great success with them. Corals need a lot more to thrive then just lights like correct alkalinity, calcium etc. With some good dosing and those lights you should be fine! Here is a pic of my 75 gallon with those lights.

Attachments

• tempImageCp2RFY.png
    tempImageCp2RFY.png
    1 MB · Views: 77
OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Those corals look great. I had an additional question regarding flow. I have a 1050 gph wavemaker that only has on or off controls. Would that be OK or should I get a wavemaker that can pulse / have random flow?

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Dual IC Pros and this is my PAR readings at the bottom of my 125g.
1000000264.jpg

yovertenezaca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Those corals look great. I had an additional question regarding flow. I have a 1050 gph wavemaker that only has on or off controls. Would that be OK or should I get a wavemaker that can pulse / have random flow?
That should be fine. Mine only have on or off features as well.

mikey1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, although the USA Orbit Marine Led doesn't have an advantageous PAR I have had great success with them. Corals need a lot more to thrive then just lights like correct alkalinity, calcium etc. With some good dosing and those lights you should be fine! Here is a pic of my 75 gallon with those lights.
Interesting...I am building a very similar set up as you have..What filtration do you have? What kind and how much volume are your wavemakers or powerheads do you use??

yovertenezaca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...I am building a very similar set up as you have..What filtration do you have? What kind and how much volume are your wavemakers or powerheads do you use??
I have a 15 watt HOB Aqua violet UV sterilizer, a hob fluvial 110 filter and a classic 90 hon protein skimmer. I have 2 aquatop max flow and 2 smaller rated sicce wave makers.

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work but some corals do prefer more random flow and will grow different or deformed under constant flow

Back