Recommended Cycling Method?

RoryJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to everyones thought and ideas on the topic. I am about to start the cycle process on a 110 FOWLR. I am really confused on which way is best, better, and most effective. My LFS says without a doubt do a fish cycle, where as everywhere else I read say not too do it that way. I have already placed live/dry sand in tank and about 50lbs of dry rock. What would you do from this point?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy you just opened a can of worms. :p So many ways to achieve the same goal and so many hobbyist that believe their way is the best way.

Personally I like to use live cured rock carefully inspected for pest prior to introduction. Since you used dry rock you can use the bacteria in a bottle method, I like Dr.Tims and or Microbacter7.

Personally I do not like using fish (of course the LFS recommends it, it's a sale), fish not QT'd can introduce parasites and diseases, you have to catch them afterwards if they do not fit in with your tank plan, and is it really humane to expose any animal to the higher ammonia levels.

You can go with the cocktail shrimp method, I am not a fan of that either, it's stinks and any organic matter such as dried fish food or pellets will accomplish the same goal.

I often take filtration media (sponge or floss) from my existing tank and seed the new system with it, if the existing system appears free of parasites and pest.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was overwhelmed with all the ways to do it when I started each of my tanks. In the end I decided the only way I would never do it, is by adding fish. While some will argue that there's ways to do it without harming the fish, I don't see the purpose of doing it this way when there are tons of other ways available. My most recent tank I added ammonium chloride and bacteria in a bottle and it seemed to work perfectly for me.

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy you just opened a can of worms. :p So many ways to achieve the same goal and so many hobbyist that believe their way is the best way.

Personally I like to use live cured rock carefully inspected for pest prior to introduction. Since you used dry rock you can use the bacteria in a bottle method, I like Dr.Tims and or Microbacter7.

Personally I do not like using fish (of course the LFS recommends it, it's a sale), fish not QT'd can introduce parasites and diseases, you have to catch them afterwards if they do not fit in with your tank plan, and is it really humane to expose any animal to the higher ammonia levels.

You can go with the cocktail shrimp method, I am not a fan of that either, it's stinks and any organic matter such as dried fish food or pellets will accomplish the same goal.

I often take filtration media (sponge or floss) from my existing tank and seed the new system with it, if the existing system appears free of parasites and pest.
I agree, totally different ways to accomplish the same thing. What works best for one system might not work so good for another?
The fish cycle in my opinion is a bit cruel since they are basically swimming in their own filth for a while until the biological filter system starts working properly. I guess thats why only a handful of fish are considered tough enough to consistently make it through the cycle? And of course the LFS may recommend that because it is a sell....
I personally used the cocktail shrimp method, which if I had to do it again would do something different. It ended up falling apart and making a heck of a smell when it was removed! Now I know some flake or pellets would have accomplished the same end. I would go that way. Just my experience.

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard Aquavitro Seed is a good bacteria so I am going to give that a try. I just picked up a bottle today.
Just not sure what I am going to use as a food source, probably pellets

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the best cycle method is to start the tank with macro algae or an algae turf scrubber.

Get the tank balanced out with algae as the very first thing and the algae will consume ammonia first (then nitrates) which stops the usual ammonia->nitrite->nitrate cycle dead in its tracks.

After the initial cycle should go bump in the night the algae will again consume any ammonia preventing cycles and possible tank crashes.

my .02

OP
OP
RoryJ

RoryJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for Everyones input..since I did already place the dry rock in I think I will go with the bacteria and ammonia method. Can I start the cycle now? or should I wait til I put more rock in?..Also can I put one piece of live rock in to jump start everything?

wilecyote007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to this, 3 months now. The only thing i can for sure suggest is an rodi system for purified water. Might seem expensive at first but it will be worth it to avoid hassle. Also not sure if this helps but i started my 75 gal with 20lbs live rock 40lbs live sand. Hang on the back filter with bio,heater.cycled for 5 weeks with nothing as far as fish or ghost feeding. I monitored every day waiting for my ammonia spike...never came. I have had clown in for about 2 months and just added clean up crew and first coral and they are rocking! Starting with dry instead of live might delay bio filter kicking in. Again these other folks will be able to direct you way more successfully. R2R has helped me through all of mine.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back