Recommended fish to buy in an open JBJ 45

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am curious to see if anyone has a good recommendation for some fish to buy for my tank. Currently I have one blenny in my tank and that is my one and only fish. My tank is a 45 gallon JBJ with no lid on it. I am looking for a fish that is less likely to jump out. I do have some corals so the new fish would have to be coral friendly. I value everyone's input on R2R. Please let me know what you think?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scooter blenny.
Cool fish.

I’m assuming you want a peaceful tank without aggression.

Royal gramma, purple firefish, red lined cardinal trio, a flasher wrasse. Yellow watchman goby w a candy cane pistol shrimp These are colorful and active in a peaceful environment.

Lid is strongly recommended!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clownfish hopped out right in front of me a week ago.. screen top on the aquarium the next day! in retrospect, it was dumb it required the fish to actually jump for me to get on it. just ask yourself how you'd feel seeing your fish dried up on the ground when u wake up or come home

it's annoying, gotta lift it up to feed, looks worse, but my fish staying in the old glass box is an easy choice

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the list @mta_morrow gave you. The Royal Gramma could interchange with a Black Cap Basslet if you like it's colors better. Only other one I can think of adding would be 2 or 3 barnacle blennies. I like the Panamic over the Eye Brow but I have both.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clownfish hopped out right in front of me a week ago.. screen top on the aquarium the next day! in retrospect, it was dumb it required the fish to actually jump for me to get on it. just ask yourself how you'd feel seeing your fish dried up on the ground when u wake up or come home

it's annoying, gotta lift it up to feed, looks worse, but my fish staying in the old glass box is an easy choice

Same here. I've kept clownfish in uncovered nanos for well over a decade and never had an issue until last week. My female mocha storm jumped and I found her on the carpet very dried out. I'm estimating she was there between 20-30 minutes. Luckily, I was able to resuscitate her after 4 hours and she's all good now (with the exception of a small scrape), but I made an egg crate lid the next morning. I've brought fish back before, but never one this far gone. I'm very fortunate and definitely learned a lesson the hard way.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am curious to see if anyone has a good recommendation for some fish to buy for my tank. Currently I have one blenny in my tank and that is my one and only fish. My tank is a 45 gallon JBJ with no lid on it. I am looking for a fish that is less likely to jump out. I do have some corals so the new fish would have to be coral friendly. I value everyone's input on R2R. Please let me know what you think?

Blennies are likely to jump and all fish can jump at some point. Simply add a screen top to your tank and then put your mind at ease. a lidless tank is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't see you wanted fish recommendations. i'm newish so i don't know a ton, but i have a 50 cube so should be similar

i'd definitely recommend a midas blenny. mine is super cool, swims like an eel, he found a hole in a rock and pokes his head out. he doesn't hide much, he's out swimming quite a bit. i think it'd be fine with your scooter blenny since he's more of a swimmer, but someone that knows more should sign off on that.

gotta have some clowns imo, mine currently host a powerhead in the back.. but they're fun to watch swim like drunkards in the flow

i have a bangaii cardinal and i wouldn't recommend him. he's just not very active. not a bad fish or anything, just would prefer a more active fish

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I've kept clownfish in uncovered nanos for well over a decade and never had an issue until last week. My female mocha storm jumped and I found her on the carpet very dried out. I'm estimating she was there between 20-30 minutes. Luckily, I was able to resuscitate her after 4 hours and she's all good now (with the exception of a small scrape), but I made an egg crate lid the next morning. I've brought fish back before, but never one this far gone. I'm very fortunate and definitely learned a lesson the hard way.

I'm curious to know how you were able to bring a fish back to life?

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool fish.

I’m assuming you want a peaceful tank without aggression.

Royal gramma, purple firefish, red lined cardinal trio, a flasher wrasse. Yellow watchman goby w a candy cane pistol shrimp These are colorful and active in a peaceful environment.

Lid is strongly recommended!

For the yellow watchman goby, does he sift through the substrate at all. If so, mine is very course.
Thanks for all the good recommendations. [emoji106]

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know how you were able to bring a fish back to life?

Well, he was definitely still alive (although barely) when I found him, but in very bad shape. The white was grey and there were dark blotches, plus she was pretty dried out. It's extremely important to handle them delicately when they're like that, because their gills, muscles, etc are dehydrating, so you can mess them up worse pretty easily.

After putting them back into the tank, they're not going to be able to swim and will go into shock. I typically cup them in my hands and turn off all pumps other than my return. I also add an air stone to increase oxygenation. You want to make sure the gills are flapping and opening widely. The fish is going to be struggling to get oxygen, so if they're barely opening or not opening, there's a good chance they're still partially dehydrated. If this is the case, some people recommend rubbing them lightly. Thankfully, my fish didn't have any gill issues. While cupping with one hand, I gently blow water with a pipette directly towards the gills. Being that the fish can't swim on its own yet, you're helping additional water (containing oxygen) pass through their gills. At a certain point, the fish will get some strength back, so they'll typically twitch a bit and try to swim on their own. This part is kinda hard to watch. Generally speaking, they usually don't have their bearings for a while and kinda drift around the tank. It's very important to monitor them and keep trying to gently blow water towards their gills. Ideally, the fish will start to look a little better every hour and eventually be fine.

With that being said, it's obviously very possible that the fish will pass away at any point during this process. Even after the fish starts to improve and looks somewhat good, there's still a pretty good chance they may not make it. This is by no means a perfect science or something that will always work, but I've always had favorable results in the very few situations I've had like this over the years. Hopefully, you're never in this situation.

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he was definitely still alive (although barely) when I found him, but in very bad shape. The white was grey and there were dark blotches, plus she was pretty dried out. It's extremely important to handle them delicately when they're like that, because their gills, muscles, etc are dehydrating, so you can mess them up worse pretty easily.

After putting them back into the tank, they're not going to be able to swim and will go into shock. I typically cup them in my hands and turn off all pumps other than my return. I also add an air stone to increase oxygenation. You want to make sure the gills are flapping and opening widely. The fish is going to be struggling to get oxygen, so if they're barely opening or not opening, there's a good chance they're still partially dehydrated. If this is the case, some people recommend rubbing them lightly. Thankfully, my fish didn't have any gill issues. While cupping with one hand, I gently blow water with a pipette directly towards the gills. Being that the fish can't swim on its own yet, you're helping additional water (containing oxygen) pass through their gills. At a certain point, the fish will get some strength back, so they'll typically twitch a bit and try to swim on their own. This part is kinda hard to watch. Generally speaking, they usually don't have their bearings for a while and kinda drift around the tank. It's very important to monitor them and keep trying to gently blow water towards their gills. Ideally, the fish will start to look a little better every hour and eventually be fine.

With that being said, it's obviously very possible that the fish will pass away at any point during this process. Even after the fish starts to improve and looks somewhat good, there's still a pretty good chance they may not make it. This is by no means a perfect science or something that will always work, but I've always had favorable results in the very few situations I've had like this over the years. Hopefully, you're never in this situation.

Good to know. I hope I don't have to do this ever but at least ill have some idea of what to do in case.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back