Recommended LFS in Fort Lauderdale, FL area?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of Exotic Aquatic, Fish Paradise (of course), few others not even memorable. I havent been to Coral Reef in Boca for many years, though it was decent when I was there a long time ago.
*What are a few you in SoFlo recommend? Healthy marine fish selection primarily, secondarily coral (SPS , then LPS) . Maybe if any even offer a live guarantee(?). I'll go from Boca to Miami, I live in Fort Lauderdale.
TY

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has a recommendation for this reefer?

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to aquarium king off SR 84, west of US1. I bought my first healthy (of 5 so far :( ) CBB . Now I'm trying to get it to eat, I know that's a feat. But I was happy with the store. I would definitely go back. It is being refurbished, but decent selection of both fish and corals. The guy that helped me, seemed like an owner, named sean, was great. Like I said this is the first place I received a healthy CBB from, so that says a lot so far (from my experience at least from others I tried it from). I'm still open to checking other places out though.
And thank you for the support there Ron :-D

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm really liking that LFS :-D . Happens to be that my 5th try at a CBB is from Aquarium King and knock on wood! it's been 10 days since I have him, and he's even eating frozen food now, after just 10 days

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surprised at the lack of recommendations
Prob b/c they're arent many quality ones (?). I go to aquarium king lately. Very good prices, and both fish I got from them have been doing really well. He's making my next tank also very fair $. I'm going to check out Hydra in Dania when I have some time to get down there, I have heard really good things about them.

Desperado Lucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium King is good, mentioned above. You’re further south so I don’t know as many. I went to Barrier Reef for years growing up near FAU in Boca (back in the trickle filter and dead coral skeleton display days). They’re still around. I don’t know the names of them, but i think there’s a couple distributors with large rooms in Miami and Ft Lauderdale out west. Hopefully someone can assist with the names or maybe you can find them searching online.

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i second Barrier Reef in Boca. I bought a few corals from there and am happy with them.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium King is good, mentioned above. You’re further south so I don’t know as many. I went to Barrier Reef for years growing up near FAU in Boca (back in the trickle filter and dead coral skeleton display days). They’re still around. I don’t know the names of them, but i think there’s a couple distributors with large rooms in Miami and Ft Lauderdale out west. Hopefully someone can assist with the names or maybe you can find them searching online.
yes I been to GBR a long time ago (20 years ago!). It was ok then. Not really worth a trip if it's the same as before (not b bad, but not worth 30 mins drive). Aquariumking (not aquariumkingDOM) is my go to place now (it is worth 20 mins drive or more, but it's 15 mins away :-D . Sean it the best (I think he's owner or something along those lines). though I still need to check out hydra in Dania.
I like buying online also, but even with alive guarantees and wisywig, you cant really know the 'quality' of a fish usually if it's not in person. I hate gettinga wisywig fish that comes in a little sick and yuo know it's not goign to be alive in a few months, but that doesnt matter b/c the guarantee is only for 7 days, a fish you never would have bought if you saw it before putting in bag. Therefore i'm leaning back to LFS.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barrier reef is 1/4 the size it used to be and has almost no coral. Exotic aquatics tanks are aiptasia infested. Professional fish keepers just don’t The staff are all idiots and the livestock is questionable at best….,,

only place I have found so far to be reliable is blueseas aquariums and some place in palm beach that is in a plant nursery who’s name is evading me right now

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barrier reef is 1/4 the size it used to be and has almost no coral. Exotic aquatics tanks are aiptasia infested. Professional fish keepers just don’t The staff are all idiots and the livestock is questionable at best….,,

only place I have found so far to be reliable is blueseas aquariums and some place in palm beach that is in a plant nursery who’s name is evading me right now
That'd be blue earth corals

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back