OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dealing with same issue and will try the following experiment. I tested both my phos and nitrate a couple of days ago...they are in a good range

Phos: .12*
Nitrate: 8ppm

I have an asterisk next to the phos, because my levels are normally .04 - .08...

I noticed if I blow off the cyano, and/or stir the sand bed and test in a few hours, my phos jumps.

Today before the lights came on, i stirred the sand bed and blew most of the cyano off my rocks and tested a few hours later.... result: .25!

I believe the cyano is binding the phosphate and my activities are causing the cyano to release phos? My next move is to add phosgaurd to rapidly take the phosphate out of the water so the cyano cannot use it to repopulate my tank...

Thats the thought anyway.
Hmm that’s very interesting. Let us know how it goes

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things got rid of my cyano:

1) Strong UV light
2) Started an Oxydator (look for threads on this site)
3) Phytoplankton every other day

Before and after pics (also have since increased the light intensity by 5% on my Radions)

Before 2021 04 28.jpg

After 2021 04 28.jpg

Last edited:

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things got rid of my cyano:

1) Strong UV light
2) Started an Oxydator (look for threads on this site)
3) Phytoplankton every other day

Before and after pics (also have since increase the light intensity by 5% on my Radions)

Before 2021 04 28.jpg

After 2021 04 28.jpg
Hey thanks.... i have all the things you mentioned other than the oxidizer.... I think my issue is high phosphate. I say this because, when i stir or blow the cyano...within a matter of hours my phosphate jumps....

See the below chart.... The good news is my system tends to process phos quickly or at least that's what I experienced in the past, although thinking about it...it could have been the cyano....

1620390442232.png

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks.... i have all the things you mentioned other than the oxidizer.... I think my issue is high phosphate. I say this because, when i stir or blow the cyano...within a matter of hours my phosphate jumps....

See the below chart.... The good news is my system tends to process phos quickly or at least that's what I experienced in the past, although thinking about it...it could have been the cyano....

1620390442232.png
I had the opposite problem. Cyano started when my PO4 was zero. Have since raised my PO4 to .05.

Noticed the cyano returned when Oxydator ran out of hydrogen peroxide. Filled the Oxydator back up and the cyano disappeared the next day.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opposite problem. Cyano started when my PO4 was zero. Have since raised my PO4 to .05.

Noticed the cyano returned when Oxydator ran out of hydrogen peroxide. Filled the Oxydator back up and the cyano disappeared the next day.
I’m trynna up my po4 cuz I’m reading zero. By now I’ve prob added .08 worth of phosphate over the last week and I’m still not reading anything. I don’t have enough algae I don’t think to consume all of the available phosphate either so I’m not sure what’s going on

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%

Back