Recommended store for custom tank setup?

SharkbaitMuhaha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've got a case of the reef bug! I've been running high tech planted tanks for a few years now and have decided to move into the saltwater reef hobby. After finally receiving blessing from the wife, I've decided to move forward with doing a 200-300 gallon tank. I'm looking to get help with setting up the tank/sourcing equipment etc but am not sure which store to go with for tank setup/maintenance (until I'm comfortable taking over).

Is there anyone or store in the area who has a reputation for doing excellent custom tank setups? I noticed that a few stores offer services, but past experience has taught me that can be a real hit or miss...

Thanks!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Gallery or Aqua World would be my bets. I work at The Reef Gallery, so I would obviously have to go that route, but even if I didn't Adam knows what he is doing and his service/install prices are much better than others. I'm friend with Jeff at AW and they do a good job as well. Your other options would be Elmer's and Wet Pets.

OP
OP
SharkbaitMuhaha

SharkbaitMuhaha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jaime, that's great to know. I was considering either Aqua World or Reef Gallery but I guess I can't go wrong with either. I plan to implement Ozone, automatic water changes & anything that can be fully automated with controllers. Definitely looking for someone who is up to date and comfortable working with the latest tech.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jaime, that's great to know. I was considering either Aqua World or Reef Gallery but I guess I can't go wrong with either. I plan to implement Ozone, automatic water changes & anything that can be fully automated with controllers. Definitely looking for someone who is up to date and comfortable working with the latest tech.

Yeah, I think either place could competently give you what you want. I know that The Reef Gallery charges less for install/maintenance than Aqua World. Obviously price isn't everything. If I were you I would go to both places and talk to them and see who you are more comfortable with and get quotes.

Other stores in the area while I am friendly with staff/owners at them I think that some of them are behind the times on the technology side of the hobby. You can of course run a successful tank pretty low tech, but why pay the same price for equipment that just isn't as good nor efficient as newer designs.

If you want some mostly unbiased opinions on equipment and selection I personally love talking about the stuff.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back