Recovering from tank die off

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge die off in my tank a few months ago due to a return pump fail. I have finally got the tank stable, fish are happy, new corals are not that happy.
Prior to the crash, the tank was full of life. Pineapple sponges, pods and coralline algae growing everywhere.
It seems very sterile at the moment, I was hoping it would bounce back quickly but I guess it needs time.

OP
OP
fish_bucket

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? I went through a crash, but it was due to zero nutrients...
At work at the moment, so I don't have them on me, but currently, everything is looking good, my only concern at the moment is that the tank may be a little too clean.

My major concern is a leather coral, which I think has been shedding but... not sure. Has lightened in colour on the tips, I think it's unhappy.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work at the moment, so I don't have them on me, but currently, everything is looking good, my only concern at the moment is that the tank may be a little too clean.

My major concern is a leather coral, which I think has been shedding but... not sure. Has lightened in colour on the tips, I think it's unhappy.

Where is it placed? Lighting? I have a leather, seems to like low flow, low/med light, but I have had them enjoy lots of light. But, mine is known to retract from time to time, and I don't worry about it, it always opens back up.. if everything else in your tank is doing well, then it's probably fine..

OP
OP
fish_bucket

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it placed? Lighting? I have a leather, seems to like low flow, low/med light, but I have had them enjoy lots of light. But, mine is known to retract from time to time, and I don't worry about it, it always opens back up.. if everything else in your tank is doing well, then it's probably fine..

it's placed in the middle of the tank close to the bottom, should be getting flow and light there. I have some mushroom corals they are doing well, GSP is going great the only other thing is some Zoas that are refusing to open.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's placed in the middle of the tank close to the bottom, should be getting flow and light there. I have some mushroom corals they are doing well, GSP is going great the only other thing is some Zoas that are refusing to open.

If your zoas won’t open my guess is your nutrients are low, and there’s no reason for them to open.. do some testing and let us know..

OP
OP
fish_bucket

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your zoas won’t open my guess is your nutrients are low, and there’s no reason for them to open.. do some testing and let us know..

Great feedback mate, I really appreciate all your help. I am thinking nutrients is low also, nitrates are between 0 - 1.

Currently I am running carbon, my skimmer and some media to remove any heavy metals that may have found their way into the tank when the pump died (exposed copper wires).

Would you suggest shut off the skimmer, or maybe remove the carbon?

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback mate, I really appreciate all your help. I am thinking nutrients is low also, nitrates are between 0 - 1.

Currently I am running carbon, my skimmer and some media to remove any heavy metals that may have found their way into the tank when the pump died (exposed copper wires).

Would you suggest shut off the skimmer, or maybe remove the carbon?

It really all depends on parameters, but if you say they are low, then yes, remove skimmer cup and feed the tank.. I had a similar issue and dosed nitrates and phosphates with good results.. I would continue running carbon just in case something else is going on..

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back