Red Algae Bloom cant get under control. Possible dying anemone

Deemstirs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have had my tank up and running for more than 6 months. i introduced a new anemone a few weeks back and it deflated once or twice, but always came back. Now it seems to just be bunched up. I have another one that seems to be doing fine. On top of that I have an huge red algae bloom that i've been treating every few days for past 2 weeks. I cant seem to get it under control. I'm using chemiclean and doing on scoop per 10 gallons. i have 55 gallon with 20 sump. ive remove the carbon and tested all my levels, nothing seems off aside from a super low PH which i've never been able to get up. Ph is now right around 7. Am going to do 20% water change with my RO filtered water, but am starting to really doubt myself as a saltwater tank guy since i cant get this algae under control.

anemone.jpg tank.jpg red algea.jpg more algae.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deemstirs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info. I bought this light two weeks back and have had it set on 24 hour setting so it changes overtime during the day. Seems like too much light since algae wasnt an issue 4 weeks ago. Any advice here would be awesome.

1624381663038.png

OP
OP
D

Deemstirs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the PH, which is why i was trying to boost it with buffer when doing top offs, but it wasnt going up at all, so i think i may have boosted too much. Alk is somewhere between 80 and 120.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your mag? Complete parameters would help greatly in determining where to begin. Mag is the foundation..

As for the lighting - What intensity are you using ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deemstirs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your mag? Complete parameters would help greatly in determining where to begin. Mag is the foundation..
I'm taking water sample now to store to get full parameters. Havent added mag ever. Maybe thats the issue? I am still really learning and thought i was doing well for a while but the SH hit the fan recently and I'm about to go out of town for a week and want to try and get everything OK before i leave.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get your parameters - let us know asap.

Basically, Mag is the foundation parameter. If that's out of whack you'll never get anything else correct.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add that Anemones, in my experience, prefer well established and stable systems. They rarely do well in new tanks that are still experiencing the uglies. I wonder if your LFS would house them while you're away, if you haven't gotten things sorted out yet. Just a thought.

OP
OP
D

Deemstirs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all levels came back normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. The suggestion from my LFS is that my lighting change a few weeks back is what causing the red algae/cyno to blow up and that my frequent use of chemiclean (3X in past 2 weeks) isnt helping. Purchasing Mag and mag test kit now. Will do the 10% water change I have ready now and then check back here in 2 days with update and hopefully some more test numbers. Anyone have good suggestion for full test kit that covers all the parameters? The strips i've been using to date clearly arent cutting it.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all levels came back normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. The suggestion from my LFS is that my lighting change a few weeks back is what causing the red algae/cyno to blow up and that my frequent use of chemiclean (3X in past 2 weeks) isnt helping. Purchasing Mag and mag test kit now. Will do the 10% water change I have ready now and then check back here in 2 days with update and hopefully some more test numbers. Anyone have good suggestion for full test kit that covers all the parameters? The strips i've been using to date clearly arent cutting it.
I'm personally a fan of the Hannah Instruments line of digital colorimeters. The Nitrate checker is a bit tedious, though very accurate IME. A less expensive option is the Red Sea reef foundation kit. You'll still need to dial in your nitrate and phosphate numbers, which isn't included in the Red Sea. Those are the only ones I've had personal experience with, for a number of years, with no issues. All testing is a tedious chore, simplify it if you can afford the Hannah set... You won't be sorry.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying parameters are good doesn't help us figure it out. Good means a lot of different things. Algae in a 6 month old tank is normal. There should actually be more than you have now. Dosing, large water changes and treatments all affect stability which can be a root cause in itself.

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all levels came back normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. The suggestion from my LFS is that my lighting change a few weeks back is what causing the red algae/cyno to blow up and that my frequent use of chemiclean (3X in past 2 weeks) isnt helping. Purchasing Mag and mag test kit now. Will do the 10% water change I have ready now and then check back here in 2 days with update and hopefully some more test numbers. Anyone have good suggestion for full test kit that covers all the parameters? The strips i've been using to date clearly arent cutt
What is normal ?

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light you bought is for freshwater planted tanks, and it looks like you can't adjust how much off each light spectrum you get just overall brightness. Freshwater plant lights normally have alot of red spectrum, which will be like miracle grow for nuisance algae / cyano.

You should return it, order something like this

What was your PH at your LFS?

Also don't get to discouraged, 6 months is just barely getting your feet wet and your cyano outbreak isn't very bad. Get a different light and I see 1 WaveMaker in there if you only have 1 you should buy another. Good flow also helps beat Cyano

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get your kit, check back in with actual. Your answers have raised more questions.

Back